Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie from Ireland

T

tedzontour

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Howdy all and greetings from Ireland's south coast.
After previously owning a T4 conversion and currently a 2004 T5 1.9 tdi conversion for twelve years, we think it's time to change to something newer. Up for consideration were some 5.4 metre vans as well as the somewhat familiar California.
Yesterday, we viewed a new T6.1 Cali at our local VW dealer. It truly blew us away and we left the premises with a big sense of "want". However, the price tag of €94k was less than desirable! !
So, with more thought, we figure a used example with the initial depreciation soaked up might suit us better. After looking at the differences between the T6 and T6.1, I think we quite like the benefits of the T6 comfort dash with the extra storage and I personally like the exterior front of the T6 over the T6.1 (but that's splitting hairs).
However, some reading of leaking bellows, the infamous roof corrosion etc etc give one reason for hesitancy. Can anyone tell me how common are these faults in reality and how easy/difficult are the fixes ? Does the electric roof mechanism give trouble and is the manual roof of the Coast a potentially safer bet ?
The 150 bhp and 204 bhp engines - is one more reliable than the other assuming both have been maintained on schedule ? Having travelled long distance fulltime for over a year with the 1.9 tdi, I value economy and reliability where possible !
I'm quite sure I will have lots of questions for you lot in the future but I'll keep this short for now as an introduction !

Cheers,
Mark.

My current hotel on wheels.....
53780240499_c4d9154f17_c.jpg

Lots of reading through the search function, but on roof and engine, you're not going to find a definitive answer.

Some starters for you:

Lots of reading through the search function, but on roof and engine, you're not going to find a definitive answer.

Some starters for you:

Many thanks for that, appreciated !