Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie looking for a Cali but feeling disheartened

I would have thought prices would start going up and/or discounts falling post New Year, but we are in strange times and if a vaccine comes along or there is a very significant recession it could be a buyers market for some time.
Thanks, you helped to confirm my thoughts.

Now until Dec is always the best time, pity the NEC show is not on. Peeps on the verge of buying this years stock chance their minds because they are woo’d by the dealers with next years models and show offers Prompting offers on the “old” stock. Post New Year is the start of the peak as peeps look to get one for the Easter to Summer period.

where ever you go the dealers put the “we are not under pressure posture vans are flying out the door”. Mind you saying that I have had more emails this year from dealers looking fo stock I.e are you selling?

as for Cali’s our local VW dealer has one in for demo but absolutely not up foe sale yet.

Just been notified of a 2020 Cali with 500mls up for sale on Autotrader, a good 3k over list price, 7 - 10k over what other peeps have selling the equivalent for.
Thanks. Dealers in the south eadt dont seem to have any stock... A 500 mile 2020 is almost list price!

A south coast dealer has a few but prices seem high...

And agree the imminent 10% tax will mess everything up....

The only guaranteed thing about Calis is the prices have and will always rise. As VW have always strongly increased prices (from the £38k? ish for list on the first Calis). It's crazy really - I have bought/sold four privately; one each year since 2016 for a long summer adventure (not 2020 - thanks Covid... :() and all have been worth more on the market the next year. This is what makes Cali ownership feasible and not a financial disaster, generally the opposite. Also in my experience it makes no difference when you buy sell, I have always bought around May and sold September.

But regarding rising costs - the most significant example is the first, a 2013 Beach (pictured left) I bought as immaculate in June '16 with 10,000 miles and sold with 12,000 in September for £30,500. If I wanted to buy that van back now four years later and probably with 50,000 on it the asking price would be much the same if not more.

Buy the right van at the right price and enjoy it, if it's not for you or you sell it after your adventures the loss will be minimal regardless - as we have all learned this year, life is for living and we don't know what is round the corner - pop your clogs with lots of memories and experiences, not zeros on a bank balance. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for the price guides etc. Unfortunately our 2016 Cali Ocean will be looking for a new home due to me needing a new car for work. We have had amazing holidays and you will not regret having one. This forum helped us in the buying process, with our travels and hopefully the sale. We will buy another when the boys have left home. But we sadly need to pause our cali holidays for a few years.

Hi do you have a this for 2017 A 2016 one has just come on for over £48k with about 28k mileage at the higher end..and a 2017 for £52k similar mileage !
Be aware, low milage is not always the best way to go. There are service items that are time related, not just milage.

Be aware, low milage is not always the best way to go. There are service items that are time related, not just milage.
Thanks ..I've noted about the cam belt needs doing at 3 or 4 years.. if there anything else ? Tried searching in forums but not found anything so far

Thanks ..I've noted about the cam belt needs doing at 3 or 4 years.. if there anything else ? Tried searching in forums but not found anything so far
Tyres have a lifespan of 4 to 5 yrs due to deterioration due to sunlight and can have cracks in sidewalls leading to blowouts despite having plenty of tread left.
Brake discs prone to corrosion and excessive brake pad wear if not used regularly.
I'm not sure if there is a time limit for DSG oil change, as well as a milage limit. Likewise the Haldex system on 4 Motions. I have mine changed every 2 years but then I'm more of an exception than most as I average 20kmiles/year.
Batteries, if not charged via the mains charger on a regular basis, as per the Handbook, can have a significantly shortened lifespan, likewise the engine battery if the vehicle is low milage.

Tyres have a lifespan of 4 to 5 yrs due to deterioration due to sunlight and can have cracks in sidewalls leading to blowouts despite having plenty of tread left.
Brake discs prone to corrosion and excessive brake pad wear if not used regularly.
I'm not sure if there is a time limit for DSG oil change, as well as a milage limit. Likewise the Haldex system on 4 Motions. I have mine changed every 2 years but then I'm more of an exception than most as I average 20kmiles/year.
Batteries, if not charged via the mains charger on a regular basis, as per the Handbook, can have a significantly shortened lifespan, likewise the engine battery if the vehicle is low milage.
Thank you