Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie looking for accessory advice ....

• Thread starter California_Ocean
  • Start date
California_Ocean

California_Ocean

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi, just bought my first VW camper, a T6.1 Ocean, and I need to kit it out with the essentials for weekend camping. We are 2 people and the intent is days out and weekends away. We are fairly minimalist so I don't want "just-in-case" things or stuff for the sake of it - for me the joy of camper vans is to just jump in, start the engine and go on to the next stop.

So, if you could all be so kind, what are the camper van essential accessories?

P.S. and I mean even the obvious stuff because I haven't kitted out or used a camper van before.

a cadac bbq for those long summer nights. mine is very well used. other than the obvious like a gas kettle and a charging cable, i wouldn't buy much else until you've used it a few times. fill the fridge up with beer and go

a cadac bbq for those long summer nights. mine is very well used. other than the obvious like a gas kettle and a charging cable, i wouldn't buy much else until you've used it a few times. fill the fridge up with beer and go
Cadac - excellent tip (and advice), thanks, just had a look and it's made the list .... mainly cos it can cook pizza :thumb

As above +
Some means of filling the water tank, I prefer a plastic jerrycan which I take with me, you cant always get the van closer enough to water supply to fill with a short hose.
A foldable plastic bowl or bucket to carry washing up to facilities or do at the van, the supplied bowl is a bit small for every day use.

Last time I bought a camper I drove away from the dealers to a campsite exactly as it was, unintentionally o_O. Nothing in it.

The next morning I drove to a retail park, popped into MnS to pick up some food, mostly tins and long life packets, popped into dunelm, duvet, bottom sheet and two pillows plus cases, picked up a couple of cheap pans and that was it. The van already had a hook-up cable and a full gas bottle.

with that I camped happily for 5 days (full facility campsite) before driving home and opening Garage, upstairs cupboard, understairs cupboard, bottom wardrobe, top shelves of wardrobe etc. pulling out all the stuff I had stripped out of my previous camper. I left most of it in situ. Unneeded.

As now I mostly camp on site with EHU a small electric kettle is handy, a plate to eat off, knife and fork to eat with,

Otherwise, as others have said, take the very least possible to survive with and grow from there.

Apply the Backpacker minimalist rules.

A couple of this type of cushion doubles as pillows (if only 2 of you).

Hi, just bought my first VW camper, a T6.1 Ocean, and I need to kit it out with the essentials for weekend camping. We are 2 people and the intent is days out and weekends away. We are fairly minimalist so I don't want "just-in-case" things or stuff for the sake of it - for me the joy of camper vans is to just jump in, start the engine and go on to the next stop.

So, if you could all be so kind, what are the camper van essential accessories?

P.S. and I mean even the obvious stuff because I haven't kitted out or used a camper van before.
We are exactly the same.
Keep it simple and minimalist. Nearly everything you need at first may well be at home. Make a basic list of essentials - sleep, eat, activity, repeat. Do a couple of local nights away to suss out your storage preferences. We still take too many clothes & shoes!
After 20+ years I’m still finding I change things around!

Back