Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie looking to buy, all advice welcome!

W

Wiggles

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello all, I’m keen to buy my first camper van, looking for a 6.1 Ocean. I’m overwhelmed by the various options so hoping to gain lots of information from all you experienced campers.

Thank you for having me in the club.

7 years in to my t6 ocean. Best thing ever. Do it

Hello all, I’m keen to buy my first camper van, looking for a 6.1 Ocean. I’m overwhelmed by the various options so hoping to gain lots of information from all you experienced campers.

Hire one first and see if you get along with it first. May not be for everyone.

We hired twice before purchasing ours.

Sent from my Pixel 9 Pro XL using Tapatalk

As above we hired a California for 6 days , great opportunity to have a great break and decide whether it’s the right vehicle.

1 - Hire, use the experience to see if it is for you and what options you like/dislike. It’s personal.
2 - Buy VIP membership, supports the forum and get you deeper access
3 - Use search, loads of threads on people discussing options and “must buy” items

Hire one is good advice but you can’t always be certain of weather when you book in advance and that can have a bearing on your enjoyment .
Search engines will let you explore others ‘must haves’ but it’s all pretty subjective.
5 years with our T6, from new but off the forecourt so not our spec but had everything we needed ( there’s always something else you might consider ) For us the one essential was a Reversing camera.
Happy hunting

Reversing camera is a good call, and why along with non led headlights didn’t go for a Coast ( could be mistaken) which otherwise is a great package.

Specification is a very personal choice. They are generally well specced.

We did start with an outdoor revolution self inflating mattress topper but have moved to a duvalay one as it’s just easier to pack away each morning.

I think if you buy an Ocean model you will have pretty much all the options included in the package. Maybe going for 4wd and/or a more powerful engine are the two biggies to consider?

1 - Hire, use the experience to see if it is for you and what options you like/dislike. It’s personal.
2 - Buy VIP membership, supports the forum and get you deeper access
3 - Use search, loads of threads on people discussing options and “must buy” items
Did all 3 and agree. I found that using advanced search with time range limited, for example to the specific California model, helped distil the information for me.

Thanks for all the tips. I have borrowed a friend’s T6 conversion which I enjoyed but I’m not brave enough to dip my toe in the conversion market as I have no idea what I need to be cautious of. I wasn’t aware of a VIP membership so will definitely check that out. I think I am mostly worrying about what age/mileage to go for and what is a fair price. Obviously my heart would like new but my purse would prefer older!

Back