Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking to buy VW Cali.....

P1 GUY

P1 GUY

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello everyone,

I live in the midlands area and am looking to buy my first camper van. I really like the look of VW Californias and would welcome any advice from experienced owners on things to look out for, good sites to buy accessories from, and places to visit in the UK. I missed out on one this weekend and have around 40k to spend, maybe a little more for the right van.... I’m still not sure of the engine differences so if there are any good articles I should read please let me know. Also, a number of adverts state lots of extras and again, I’m not sure what’s standard and what’s worth looking out for as an extra...any help would be appreciate.

I look forward to hearing from you.
All the best,
Guy

Hello everyone,

I live in the midlands area and am looking to buy my first camper van. I really like the look of VW Californias and would welcome any advice from experienced owners on things to look out for, good sites to buy accessories from, and places to visit in the UK. I missed out on one this weekend and have around 40k to spend, maybe a little more for the right van.... I’m still not sure of the engine differences so if there are any good articles I should read please let me know. Also, a number of adverts state lots of extras and again, I’m not sure what’s standard and what’s worth looking out for as an extra...any help would be appreciate.

All the best,
Guy
P1 Guy,
California's seem popular with pilots, we sold our last one to a Virgin Jumbo pilot.
With regard to your questions, first buying, up your budget if you can, so that you can buy a post March 2017 Cali with all the anti corrosion fixes factory fitted.
You say you like the look of a Cali, be aware a California is not a Motorhome, our Virgin purchasers partner couldn't cope with the size of the Cali.
Happy hunting, great memories come as standard with a California.
P1Graham

Type in VW California ocean in Google and read reviews from top gear. Parkers etc. Also lots of you tub vids. Try a bus and beyond on u tube.
Good luck

Hello everyone,

All the best,
Guy

£40k is a great budget, however that’s right in the middle of late T5’s and early T6’s.

Personally, I’d consider either spending less (£35k) on a T5 or if you can up your budget to £43 / £44k and you can get a T6 hopefully with some factory warranty left on it (this could be extended to 5 years when new).

As for the optional extras, this is down to personal preference.

The main ones to consider are if you want Manual or DSG (plenty of threads on this) as for engine size quite honestly on the T6 either size are generally considered fine.

Then there’s 4 motion (4x4) vs 2 wheel drive. For most 2 wheel is fine.

From there it’s down to smaller things. Cruise control is standard but Adaptive Cruise is an option.

Most of the California’s are well spec’d, it’s rare to see any without parking sensors, awning; privacy glass etc.

I couldn’t do without Apple CarPlay (sold as App Connect on the T6) but others couldnt care less.

Other options are LED headlights, interior lightening packs, alloys, many more I can’t remember.

My in laws are in Tamworth but can’t see us getting up there at the moment, that said happy to offer advice on any you find.

Strange time at the moment, financial crisis, but at the same time demand for camper vans most likely high due to people not being able to go abroad.

Hello all,

Thanks so much for the feedback and advice. Having looked at a number of articles and YouTube videos it looks like I'll be moving my budget to 50k now and will get a T6. I'm still not sure whether there's enough difference between the two different power outputs, by that I mean is the higher performance really worth it? Looking at fuel efficiency numbers it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Also, I'd love to know if it's worth going '4 motion' or simply put snow tyres on a 2 wheel drive version. I only plan taking it to the Alps for a couple of ski trips a year.

Great forum by the way....looks like I've found the perfect place for enthusiasts and advice!
Cheers,
Guy