Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie to this California malarkey

stephen

stephen

VIP Member
I'm new to this luxury camper lifestyle thing, as we've always backpacked and camped in tents, or backs of Land Rover defenders on occasion.
But as the years of gone by these don't seem so attractive, as bev my partner and I want a bit of luxury in our relative old age :grin:
we've ordered a new California from Robinson's of Norwich, due for delivery on 2 March next month, it's taken over 3 months since first submitting the order, and as you can imagine, we are rather excited, getting bits and bobs etc over the months,
If anybody's Interested ? This is the spec we ordered:
180 4 Motion
Manual gearbox
Natural grey metallic paint
Tire pressure light
Leather upholstery
Multifunction steering wheel
Silver awning
Front and rear parking sensors
Removable Towbar
Privity glass
Visibility Pack A
Front and rear Mudflaps
Lane change assist
Safe Box
Climate Control
Charcoal canister
Electric Side door
Rear tailgate step cover
Monster mats.

And we have not decided on what make of tracker we want, or what multimedia system, if any, we have decided upon.
We are thinking of keeping this vehicle for a long time, so wanted a comprehensive list of options, which generally we don't go for, as it tends to be a total waste of money, when one keeps a vehicle for a short time, In a normal road vehicle. But I think we would all agree here, The 'Californias' is simply not a means of getting from A to B. one also is carrying our home as well,
considering we are proposing to keep this vehicle a long time, the automatic gearbox option wasn't on the cards, as after the warranty runs out we do not want to be lumbered with the misery of a complicated item. such as these being any trouble, considering the massive cost of repair or replacement, going by my colleagues in the gearbox repair industry, which I might add, are doing very well indeed, charging what seems extortionate amounts of money for their repair! it all depends how long anybody is thinking of keeping these vehicles, or indeed any vehicle with a automatic gearbox due to their inherent problematic nature over time, because obviously if it's under manufactures warranty then it's simply not a problem, I've always been suspicious of the extended warranties, and the lack of cover some of them display when looking at the small print concerning Automatic Gearboxes. Anyway that's my personal view, has I had my own small car repair business for 12 years mainly concentrating on VW air cooled engined vehicles and Land Rover series 4x4s, and a myriad of normal types of vehicles, and had my fair share of automatic gearboxes over the years,
Anyway if all goes well, we may see you Lot in Henley, on Saturday the 25th of next month, once we get our Van, to try it out on a run, as we live in Suffolk / Norfolk. posting.php?mode=post&f=4#

Hi Stephen welcome to the club
Really nice sounding Cali you have ordered. Good luck for the 2nd march
Kev