Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie travelling to France

fezzer

fezzer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We are off to France soon in our brand new cali which we only got 3 months ago. Have done a few uk trips but still on a journey of discovery. We are travelling over on the Ferry from Portsmouth to Caen and then driving down to Provence where we have a mixture of camp sites and AirBNB booked. I’m hoping I’ve thought of most things but would appreciate any advice, particularly on the following;
1) assume there is no reason why we cant leave the fridge on overnight on the ferry?
2) presumably on the ferry we need to make sure the van is locked but alarm deactivated (double press on the fob)
3) have just signed up to Emovis for the toll road and have my ‘thingy’ installed.
4) planning on avoiding the low tunnel in Paris as that just sounds too nerve wracking.
5) presumably our ehu will fit in sockets at the French sites?
6) have the French ‘safety kit’ ie high viz vests, alco test.

Anything else I need to be thinking about other than where to store all the wine we’ll be bringing back?

We are off to France soon in our brand new cali which we only got 3 months ago. Have done a few uk trips but still on a journey of discovery. We are travelling over on the Ferry from Portsmouth to Caen and then driving down to Provence where we have a mixture of camp sites and AirBNB booked. I’m hoping I’ve thought of most things but would appreciate any advice, particularly on the following;
1) assume there is no reason why we cant leave the fridge on overnight on the ferry?
2) presumably on the ferry we need to make sure the van is locked but alarm deactivated (double press on the fob)
3) have just signed up to Emovis for the toll road and have my ‘thingy’ installed.
4) planning on avoiding the low tunnel in Paris as that just sounds too nerve wracking.

Anything else I need to be thinking about other than where to store all the wine we’ll be bringing back?
2) https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...the-cali-for-ferry-crossing.25503/post-662615

Seems you have the basics covered. Fridge can be left on no problem (I use setting 2). Make sure gas is off. Different sockets are possible. I carry a selection of 2 just in case (2 pin and big blue weather safe one). The alcohol testing kit hasn't been a legal requirement since 2020, but prob worth having.
Try to stay off the peage as much as possible. Driving through the French countryside is one of lifes real pleasures. Shame to miss it.
Most importantly have fun.

On the emovis tag, on some of the barriers you have to move very close to the barrier before it opens, this is especially true on the smaller exits with boom barriers.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

The low tunnel in Paris is fun if you fit under the barrier at the entrance you will be fine, just need a sweepstake with your fellow passengers as to who ducks the most.

Toll roads are brilliant, don't understand why anyone would want to use slow local roads.

You should have the VW 2 pin plug that came with the van, that plus a standard hookup lead should cover every French hook up.

Enjoy your trip , you’re going to France not the moon.

You’ve planned everything you need, now enjoy .

NO MONEY FOR TOLL, NO PROBLEM

If you ever have the unfortunate occasion to be unable to pay your toll at the autoroute toll booth, then there is a way round it. All you have to do is insert your ticket into the machine and press the call button located on the terminal. Explain your situation to the employee who answers & a new ticket will be issued by the machine, with a file number. This number then allows you to pay online, but this must be paid within 10 days or a 90€ fine is liable.

Back