Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling to Germany

B

Brianandjoy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are travelling to Germany in September via France and Belgium what do we need to take in the way of GB stickersetc.We haven’t driven through Germany in 20 years are there still stopping places along the motorway where you can stop the night.On the way back we want to divert to the invasion beaches ,are there any good campsites nearby or are you allowed to wild camp in France.Lastly would you recommend Eurotunnel or Dover Ferry for crossing the channel.

As for France. Wild camping is not allowed during the high season. We are here now. They direct you to a camping site for the night. As far as september I think you would be ok.
For Germany stay on places recomended via park4night then you will be fine.

Have a nice trip I would say.

Wild camping is forbidden in Germany in all shapes and forms. Also keep in mind that a lot parking places will have a restriction on parking during the night.
As DevillBelgium suggested park4night comes in really handy in this case

We are travelling to Germany in September via France and Belgium what do we need to take in the way of GB stickersetc.We haven’t driven through Germany in 20 years are there still stopping places along the motorway where you can stop the night.On the way back we want to divert to the invasion beaches ,are there any good campsites nearby or are you allowed to wild camp in France.Lastly would you recommend Eurotunnel or Dover Ferry for crossing the channel.
No GB stickers now. UK ones only.
France and Germany have Emission Zones which are like those in UK -- spreading. It'd be worthg getting both to remove worry of entering one.

Read through this RAC guide may help clarify (or not) what is required.

What about Belgium are you allowed to wild camp there,its only a whistle stop journey Dover to Hamm in 1 day I hope then if possible down across the border to Belgium that night

France has a truck load of Aires…. Many free up to about 10/12 Euro a night……Germany has plenty of Stellplatz (like an Aire but German). Belgium has a few Aires too.

Aires and Californias…… made for each other…… if you like road trips and adventures :thumb

What are Aires and how do we find out where they are ? Thanks

Had no issues with stealth park ups, it was in the winter and mainly around the Black Forest area (countryside).

What about Belgium are you allowed to wild camp there,its only a whistle stop journey Dover to Hamm in 1 day I hope then if possible down across the border to Belgium that night
Done a few nights stealth parkups near Bruges too. If youre sensible late parking and early living you are unlikely to have issues anywhere

What are Aires and how do we find out where they are ? Thanks
Specific places to park a ‘camping car’ as the French call them (Campervan or motorhome to you and me) often provided by the local council and often free too. Some are now ran by private companies by quite cheap. They vary from simple car park type of places to super mini camp sites with showers and toilets. Just get Park4night app and you can search for them. We have probably stayed on 500 or more over the years. The only rule is ‘no camping behaviour’ so no chairs tables and barbecues etc……. Over just do as the locals do :) The best thing is no booking required and plenty are around

There is a very good book called All the Aires France, now in North and South issues. Lists all the Aires and what facilities they have. A must have if you use the Aires

Park4Night and in Germany, pay attention to the camper places without toilets: you can be sent away if you do not have a porta potti or similar with you: already experienced it ourselves (but we have a porta potti so could stay). France is much ‘looser’ and well equipped with camper places (aires): some free, others paying. I wouldn’t recommend the ‘aire de repos’ (parkings) along the routes and certainly not at the gas stations along the péages: each one does what you want, but heard too many firsthand burglaries at night (and no: not the hoax of the sleeping gas because that's rubbish). It's about the quick burglaries at night by thieves who quickly leave, not along the péage but the back roads; this is well known by the local police.
Belgium? Wouldn’t try to ‘just stay were you want’; use the app, there are some nice camperplaces.
All this to alert you and not to scare you off: in 11 years with a small campervan we have not experienced any bad things in: Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg, Germany, Denmark, France, UK, Spain, and Italy (which was the worst and this was only about feeling very unsafe at a few motorhome pitches and we then just moved on). Use your common sense and everything will work out fine.

Last edited:
Since the Corona Motorhome registration boom, there are ever more motorhome/campervans finding unauthorized spots to park overnight for free, because the motorhome rule says, once you fork out 80k € for a Motorhome/Campervan, you should never spend a penny for a site. Ever! Holidays will be a lot more relaxing when , instead of parking overnight in a paid site (with toilets, showers, grass to park and set your table in for a nice dinner/breakfast, nice view) one parks unauthorized on a street, or a parking lot prohibited for MH, with the risk of been told to move in the middle of the night, or finding a fine which usually exceeds the cost of a pitch. No facilities, just tarmac. Wouldn't your kids love it? Lots of resident being pissed too, having their street used as a camping spot, what would they do to your MH once they can't take it anymore?

Plenty of MH parking spots for less than 20€ a night total (multiple apps to find them and book), many many sites below 30/35€. If that is breaking the budget for the hol, than buying a MH or Campervan wasn't a wise move.

Bottom line, unauthorised overnighting lead to even more strict enforcement and parking prohibition.

... as further information to the post from @Calimili ... the links I posted will be auto-translated by Google when you click on them.

Here are the fines you can expect for wild camping in Germany ...

If caught, your only defense is "I needed to sleep in my car as I am too tired to drive." - then you will most probably be moved on without a fine as long as there are no signs of camping, e.g. awnings, chairs, lit fires etc. It must look like you have parked up and gone to sleep.

Lots of good advice in the above link.

Also bear in mind that many cities have diesel bans in place for older diesel vehicles and even with new ones you will need the correct sticker to enter "Umweltzonen". Details here:

Since the Corona Motorhome registration boom, there are ever more motorhome/campervans finding unauthorized spots to park overnight for free, because the motorhome rule says, once you fork out 80k € for a Motorhome/Campervan, you should never spend a penny for a site. Ever! Holidays will be a lot more relaxing when , instead of parking overnight in a paid site (with toilets, showers, grass to park and set your table in for a nice dinner/breakfast, nice view) one parks unauthorized on a street, or a parking lot prohibited for MH, with the risk of been told to move in the middle of the night, or finding a fine which usually exceeds the cost of a pitch. No facilities, just tarmac. Wouldn't your kids love it? Lots of resident being pissed too, having their street used as a camping spot, what would they do to your MH once they can't take it anymore?

Plenty of MH parking spots for less than 20€ a night total (multiple apps to find them and book), many many sites below 30/35€. If that is breaking the budget for the hol, than buying a MH or Campervan wasn't a wise move.

Bottom line, unauthorised overnighting lead to even more strict enforcement and parking prohibition.
I agree with you: it is much more comfortable to travel when you are on the fully permitted places. Some are for a fee (example CamperCar Park in France) and others are free. The fee is usually under 15 euros, so that should work. However, we also do the semi-permitted camper pitches (also found with the apps) and have never been sent away. Even an occasional campsite with a swimming pool can be added, you would indeed sometimes be pleasantly surprised by the price. Unauthorised overnighting, well it says it all doesn’t it: we don’t do that. Everyone wants to be in the most beautiful idyllic places, preferably alone and this is only reinforced by those so-called 'vanlifers' and their magazines. The reality is often different, but certainly no less cool and facilities are a plus for many. Being safe is also important I think. Always use your common sense, of course.

I agree with you: it is much more comfortable to travel when you are on the fully permitted places. Some are for a fee (example CamperCar Park in France) and others are free. The fee is usually under 15 euros, so that should work. However, we also do the semi-permitted camper pitches (also found with the apps) and have never been sent away. Even an occasional campsite with a swimming pool can be added, you would indeed sometimes be pleasantly surprised by the price. Unauthorised overnighting, well it says it all doesn’t it: we don’t do that. Everyone wants to be in the most beautiful idyllic places, preferably alone and this is only reinforced by those so-called 'vanlifers' and their magazines. The reality is often different, but certainly no less cool and facilities are a plus for many. Being safe is also important I think. Always use your common sense, of course.
It is certainly misleading when the brochures/website of MH/Vans manufacturers show you pictures of a Motorhome parked next to the water of a lake, stunning views , all by yourself enjoying the "freedom" a Motorhome will allow you. Good luck with that in Europe, at least in the richest west countries. East Europe is catching up quick. That doesn't exists.

Great tip, just what I was looking for.

Last edited:

Great tip, just what I was looking for.
We ate already a member for more than a year and use it a lot. The camperplaces are mostly very nicely located. Just be aware that on the ones without (or closed) services, you are supposed to be self sufficient and this is to have at least one toilet.

Back