Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Non UK vehicles be aware in London.

Just seen this: "TfL issues hundreds of thousands of Ulez penalty fines to drivers of non-UK registered vehicles each year, the Standard has learned." even those who are Euro 6

To be expected. No different to U.K. motorists travelling in Europe who should be aware of the various Countries requirements for Critical Air Certificates, Vignettes etc

To be expected. No different to U.K. motorists travelling in Europe who should be aware of the various Countries requirements for Critical Air Certificates, Vignettes etc

It’s a bit rough on innocent foreign motorists driving a compliant vehicle such as a Tesla being fined for non Euro6 compliance because TfL ANPR cameras don’t recognise the make and model.

It’s a bit rough on innocent foreign motorists driving a compliant vehicle such as a Tesla being fined for non Euro6 compliance because TfL ANPR cameras don’t recognise the make and model.
They are not being fined because of the vehicle, just automatically because the registration number is not in the relevant database. The APNR camera only checks the registration number. No Number = fine. Complain to TFL and Kahn.

I have registered with Barcelona but that will not cover Madrid or any of the other towns in Spain that will introduce zones this year. I have a France sticker. There is no consistency, not even in te UK.

:oops: 23k is a bit steep..
I was there in July, August, Oct and Dec, haven't heard anything yet.
I'll have to try and register the car.

Its only 100€ in Germany if you get caught without
a green sticker.

They are not being fined because of the vehicle, just automatically because the registration number is not in the relevant database. The APNR camera only checks the registration number. No Number = fine. Complain to TFL and Kahn.
I'm not going to complain because I'm not affected.

There was someone in this forum a couple of months ago who was fined for driving his foreign registered California in the Low Emission Zone which is supposed to only apply to commercial vehicles.

===Quote===
The Low Emission Zone (LEZ) operates to encourage the most polluting heavy diesel vehicles driving in London to become cleaner. The LEZ covers most of Greater London and is in operation 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

The LEZ is separate from the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) which is in place inside the North and South Circular Roads and operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year except Christmas Day..
===/Quote===

I'm not going to complain because I'm not affected.

There was someone in this forum a couple of months ago who was fined for driving his foreign registered California in the Low Emission Zone which is supposed to only apply to commercial vehicles.

===Quote===
The Low Emission Zone (LEZ) operates to encourage the most polluting heavy diesel vehicles driving in London to become cleaner. The LEZ covers most of Greater London and is in operation 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

The LEZ is separate from the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) which is in place inside the North and South Circular Roads and operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year except Christmas Day..
===/Quote===
Doesn't matter which Zone it is if the registration number is not on the DVLA system or, in the case of foreign registered vehicles, not pre-registered with TFL, they will be fined no matter what type of vehicle or Emissions category they are in.

No different to driving on the continent in a low emissions zone, if not pre-registered , eg: Critical Air Certificate in France, you will be fined.

APNR cameras only check the registration number against a defined dataset.

:oops: 23k is a bit steep..
I was there in July, August, Oct and Dec, haven't heard anything yet.
I'll have to try and register the car.

Its only 100€ in Germany if you get caught without
a green sticker.
Probably driving back and fore through the zoned ignoring the signs. Luckily he seems to have been compliant or he wouldn't have had the fines cancelled.

Doesn't matter which Zone it is if the registration number is not on the DVLA system or, in the case of foreign registered vehicles, not pre-registered with TFL, they will be fined no matter what type of vehicle or Emissions category they are in.

No different to driving on the continent in a low emissions zone, if not pre-registered , eg: Critical Air Certificate in France, you will be fined.

APNR cameras only check the registration number against a defined dataset.
Just ordered my Crit Air Sticker. Although its only needed in a few metropolitan areas currently the plan is to role it out countrywide and it will be a requirement in all cities with a population exceeding 150K from 2025. The sticker is valid for the life of the vehicle with a one off payment of about 5 Euro shipped to Germany.

I do think this emissions certification stuff could be centralised. Why the German Clean Air sticker is not accepted in another EU country is beyond me. They are using exactly the same metrics from VW. At this rate I will have trouble seeing out through the windscreen.

I got fined twice just before Xmas from EPC for going into the LEZ.
The infringements were in Apr and Jun for going into the LEZ in my 2020 6.1 Beach tour registered in France. So they took quite sometime to come through.
I was visiting London at the time of the photo so it was not a scam.
Fine totals were about €5,500
Annoyingly I had registered my Beach with EPC a the start of 2022 as had heard of the requirement. But still got fined!!
I appealed to both fines and won both, so no fines to pay.
Also got fined in my 2020 VW Polo (French registered) going into the LEZ. That got overturned as well.
As said earlier there is no link to what type of vehicle the European registration plate is linked to and no thought put into finding out. They just seem to fine people and it is up to the owner to appeal with 28 days otherwise you are deemed as guilty!
Grrrrrrrrrrr

Pretty scary to read about fine amounts like that.

So.... for us outside the UK, where do we register for this LEZ/ULEZ thing in London? And are there any other environmental restrictions in the UK that we need to be aware of?

Pretty scary to read about fine amounts like that.

So.... for us outside the UK, where do we register for this LEZ/ULEZ thing in London? And are there any other environmental restrictions in the UK that we need to be aware of?
For London

I cannot find a registration site for the other City Clean Air Zones for UK or Foreign registered vehicles. You might have to Pay and then claim a Refund - not very good, or they may not charge Foreign registered vehicles.

I do think this emissions certification stuff could be centralised. Why the German Clean Air sticker is not accepted in another EU country is beyond me. They are using exactly the same metrics from VW. At this rate I will have trouble seeing out through the windscreen.
I think it will be OK in Spain with your German one. However on use for UK vechiles as we do not have Clean Air Sticker.
Quote-

"Can I drive with my badge from another country in restricted areas within Spain?

Yes. You can check the equivalence between the classifications of the different countries. In this way you will be able to know the equivalent Spanish emblem of your vehicle, knowing what traffic restrictions may affect you, and being able to drive on our roads with the emblem of your country

If my vehicle has a foreign license plate, can I obtain a Spanish environmental label?

No, but if your vehicle comes from a country with environmental certification (Germany, Austria, Denmark, France), you can check the equivalent of your badge in Spain, knowing what traffic restrictions may affect you, being able to drive with your country's badge ."

For London

I cannot find a registration site for the other City Clean Air Zones for UK or Foreign registered vehicles. You might have to Pay and then claim a Refund - not very good, or they may not charge Foreign registered vehicles.
First port of call should be the vehicle checker, which offers a non UK option, though I have no idea how comprehensive it is. https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

For a Crit'Air application on the French Govt website, is a 2021 VW California Coast classed as M1 (passenger car) or N1 (light commercial)? V5 records body type as motor caravan and taxation class as private/light goods. Thanks in advance. Simon

For a Crit'Air application on the French Govt website, is a 2021 VW California Coast classed as M1 (passenger car) or N1 (light commercial)? V5 records body type as motor caravan and taxation class as private/light goods. Thanks in advance. Simon
Does your V5c not state M1 or N1. Mine does.

No, not at all. Under D.2 - Type, it states 7HMA?
If I remember right the French site was easy to use and all you have to do is scan your V5 and send it then they sort it.

If I remember right the French site was easy to use and all you have to do is scan your V5 and send it then they sort it.
I've gone with N1 (commercial light goods) as its the same Crit'Air classification as for M1 - private car. I have uploaded by V5 but as said above, my actual V5 does not give a classification.

I've gone with N1 (commercial light goods) as its the same Crit'Air classification as for M1 - private car. I have uploaded by V5 but as said above, my actual V5 does not give a classification.
What Road Tax do you pay?

Back