Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Noooooo! Low wall vs Cali. Wall wins

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Wife misjudged our driveway last night (it's REALLY awkward TBH) and we now have a deep, 2ft long scrape in front of the NS rear wheel arch. Currently getting estimates.

Not the end of the World but a real shame - she's never scraped anything in the past and is a pretty good driver! TBH I wince every time I take the corner (it's very steep and a "reverse" turn to the left that needs taking in two goes. A low wall makes it rather nerve racking).

Anyone got any prices for fitting side bars?!! :lol:

P1010890.jpg

:cry: :cry: :boohoo :headwall :headwall

Gutted for you these things happen though :shocked life's to short to worry about it
Like you say not the end of the world :thumb

That's sad .. :-( ... Not sure if side bars would have totally helped ,as I don't know how far they stick out .

Ah noooo... :eek:

Shame mate but like you say not the end of the world.

Good luck with the quotes.

Sorry to see that. The sidebars may have taken the brunt before the side of the van hit.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
Sorry to see that. The sidebars may have taken the brunt before the side of the van hit.

cheers

How much and can they be retrofitted?!

£395 Inc VAT in the brochure. Plus fitting and less the discount from SMG but I'm guessing best part of £500.

Stu said:
£395 Inc VAT in the brochure. Plus fitting and less the discount from SMG but I'm guessing best part of £500.

Cheers Alex! TBH, it may help. We had whacking great ones on our Defender and they were very reassuring. Also could stop hateful shopping trolley dents. Maybe.

KernowLad said:
smgcowfold said:

cheers

How much and can they be retrofitted?!

Fitted price to you is £422.70 including VAT.

They can be retrofitted easily.

Cheers

Agreed. We have fitted non-genuine ones and they can take up to four hours to fit as some of them have bars that go underneath the vehicle from side to side for strength.

Cheers

Am pretty sure the attachments for them are already on the Cali....so maybe a simple DIY bolt on which would save you a trip to VW garage..?

Yes I think all you need to do is make a couple of holes in the plastic under tray and the captive nuts should already be there ready for you to bolt the bars :thumb

i had to cut some of the plastics away to fit my bars .i took the vw ones off and fitted full length ones .down side is vw jack will not fit .so carry a small trolly jack

559232_10150696281398058_1404020099_n.jpg

Cheers all!

It's booked into the place that does the bodywork for Carrs VW and Audi. Under £500 which seems good. They also fit bars for Carrs so going to get an estimate for them when I take it in - going in towards the end of July (27th) to be done while we're on holiday (a week in Majorca). I'd get VW ones for certain. Just turns a bit of an annoying error (!) into something a bit more positive - otherwise it's just shelling out £100s for no "gain" - yes my mind works in strange ways!

Cheers - no point getting angry and I don't blame the missus - I've nearly done the same a few times. Every time I go up the driveway, I wince!

One thing about side bars - apparently it means you can't use the jack (ours has 17s so has a spare). Instead you have to use a trolley jack. Am I carrying one of those around? Am I ****! Anyone know if a bottle jack would work? Had one for the Defender. Compact but able to lift the Moon.

The standard jack works fine so long as you have the genuine VW bars ( I double checked the other day )

Martin (T5WOB) has the longer style bars on his, that's why he need a trolley jack.

Martin said:
The standard jack works fine so long as you have the genuine VW bars but will not on the after market ones ( I double checked the other day )

Martin (TWOB) has the longer style bars on his, that's why he need a trolley jack.

That makes a big difference! In which case, unless they are bonkers money (Alex's post suggests they aren't too bad), I'll get some.

Obviously the bars would have helped with this but looking on the lighter side of things they make the van look cooler and lower :D I say do it :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Obviously the bars would have helped with this but looking on the lighter side of things they make the van look cooler and lower :D I say do it :thumb

I like your style! :D :thumb

I have them on my kombi, and I will be putting them on my new candy white kombi :thumb

Back