Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not quite a Cali

I agree the Cali beats all the ones shown, but if you took the best bits from all of them:-

- SCA high lift roof (no electrics/hydraulics. Faster opening. Clips closed. Non rotting)
- Reimo 333 bed (3 seater, sleep on the soft side, sit on the hard side...no need for comfort matress)
- Split worktop (cooker and sink worktops lift separately so you've space to put stuff)
- Actual worktop space to the side (although the fridge is therefore low down)
- Passenger sliding door on the correct side for UK

Combine all the above with a contemporary understated colour choice and materials, then you may have a Cali beater, that can be fixed at any local garage and spare parts competitively priced.

I'm just frustrated VW don't do some of the above on the Cali...and why do non of the converters seem to be able to combine the same 'best' choices into their product?

There are a few that I've not seen before but I've not seen anything that tops the California.

Are there many other converters in Europe or is it a UK thing?

I would suggest, in your last question these are for a much smaller market. VW is global maker it takes them longer to adapt and change tooling. Also if they are still selling like hot cakes would you change a winning formula and risk it?

More question than answer.

Great link theonecraw.
Brings back memories of when I decided to replace my home converted van to the Cali Beach.

Some of these vans are really badly designed and its goes to prove just how well thought out the Volkswagen California's are.

When I converted my first T4 it was a fairly inexpensive thing to do. As I'm very handy and able to do most DIY tasks, it didn't cost me a lot of money to build myself a camper. I then did a T5 and again it wasn't horribly expensive, apart from things like a crash tested bed etc. But these converted vans are anything short of cheap and when I bought the Cali, the cost for a new Beach against the cost converting a new van wasnt much different.

I don't understand installing a fixed position rear seat? It's so restrictive.
I don't understand high-tops either. If I ever thought I would need the high top and the extra space, I would instead look at a big base van such as a Sprinter.

For me the attraction of a small Volkswagen camper, is in fact it's small size and great functionality.

Watching this has reminded me how great both Full Fat & The Cali Beach actually are.

Last edited:
Back