Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 to T6 observations

J

John Slater

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Noticing quite a difference in driving between our 2009 T5 conversion which has the 2.5 5 cyl 130bhp and out T6 Ocean 2.0 150bhp. The 2.0 (somewhat expectedly) doesn't have the same low down grunt as the 2.5, I'm always a gear lower to keep the torque available which makes it a bit more difficult to drive with more gear changes.
The T6 is definitely quieter, more car like and refined than the T5 but is a bit softer and rolls a little more. Wonering if that is partly because the T5 is a T32? I think the T6 Cali is based on a T30?

Sure I'll get used to it with time.

I’ve had both too.
I had auto on the t5 and DSG on the T6 and found the t5 made a real meal of steep hills at low speed. However both were great to drive (t6 miles better).

Re handling: I put the vw lowering springs on mine straight after buying it (in order to get it in the garage). This makes it roll much less, but it’s a noticeably harder ride. Quite happy with my choice tho.

Fine vehicles the old 5 cylinder Calis - superbly reliable and strong cam chain engines. Really enjoyed our 2008 174 Tiptronic last year. Sadly the way of the industry is less CC's and more trickey of course but as the old saying goes, there ain't no substitute for cubic inches...

You could always consider a remap to up the torque.

Like many modern vehicles the Cali really is best with an auto box, 7 gears really helps. In the manual you have six but I find more than five (in a manual) a PITA and Cali first is low - pulling out quick you need to grab second quickly.

Last edited:
I might look into the lowering springs, if fitted aftermarket does it have to be a VW dealer to maintain warranty?

Our Golf R Estate is DSG, which I think suits it (plus the manual eats clutches!) but I do find I drive it in manual a lot. My wife is ok with it but not her preference hence the manual Cali ;)

Bare in mind the 4motion will sap some low end grunt.
My input to the engine - transmission debate.. I started with a Manual 140 T5 Beach It drove lovely and only ever had to drop a gear every now and then on steep hills. Then had Manual 180 T5 SE I expected big things but in fairness it didn't feel barely faster than our beach although I rarely had to drop down a gear and it towed beautifully.
Then I hired a DSG 150 Ocean and I was hugely impressed it felt as powerful if not more than the 180 T5 very nice drive! I then bought a Manuel 150 Ocean and I was hugely disappointed its been the most sluggish of them all and was a lot of gear work.
I'm hopefully getting a 204 DSG next and can't wait I hope it's the best combo of them all.

Also all my Vans get the sportline spring treatment they drive so much better

John- I got the vw ones so as to affect my insurance as little as possible. I didn’t fit them for performance but 3cm lower got me in my garage. There’s a lot of discussion on handling- some love the stock handling, others seem not to be able to live without increased stiffness. I guess it depends on one’s driving style.

Back