Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean Build Quality

jhgf

jhgf

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I've been noticing various comments from others about issues on new T6 Oceans at the time of delivery. Our Ocean is only 2 months old but has had a new fresh water tank level indicator fitted as the display in the cabin showed that the tank was always full despite being empty and then fold away table fixing mechanism was replaced to cure an unacceptable rattle (much worse than the mildly annoying one we used to have in our T5 California).

Just to add to the list, may I suggest that people check that the 12v charging socket in the roof space works. On our first overnight trip last week we thought we would use the socket to charge up a Kindle overnight whilst asleep only to find that there was no power output from the socket. It is in the dealers today to find out why. I've just had a phone call to say that the wiring was not connected to the socket in the factory. Fortunately all the other 12v outlets work OK but this one was not fitted correctly.

I'm not very impressed as then van has got to stay in then dealers until tomorrow whilst awaiting spare parts to be delivered.

It is a case of Caveat Emptor. Do check everything before you really need to use it.

I've been noticing various comments from others about issues on new T6 Oceans at the time of delivery. Our Ocean is only 2 months old but has had a new fresh water tank level indicator fitted as the display in the cabin showed that the tank was always full despite being empty and then fold away table fixing mechanism was replaced to cure an unacceptable rattle (much worse than the mildly annoying one we used to have in our T5 California).

Just to add to the list, may I suggest that people check that the 12v charging socket in the roof space works. On our first overnight trip last week we thought we would use the socket to charge up a Kindle overnight whilst asleep only to find that there was no power output from the socket. It is in the dealers today to find out why. I've just had a phone call to say that the wiring was not connected to the socket in the factory. Fortunately all the other 12v outlets work OK but this one was not fitted correctly.

I'm not very impressed as then van has got to stay in then dealers until tomorrow whilst awaiting spare parts to be delivered.

It is a case of Caveat Emptor. Do check everything before you really need to use it.
I am more relieved by the day that I have purchased my Cali from a dealer 10 mins away. It astonishes me that there isn't a team at the end of the production line somewhere checking these things. Quality control I think they call it. I honestly don't think I'll be able to have the stomach to go through the full list at the dealers. Will probably try to just make sure I have got everything I should and then take it away for a nights sleepover somewhere close to home and test everything.
I shall though give the vehicle a good physical exam and get a good demo of the roof to ensure it is closing properly. Oh! And make sure the high level light is firm and the bung in the windscreen wipers is not rattling and the .............

Many thanks for this have just spoken to Dealer to get them to check 12 v outlet in the roof checked, added to "my "check lists.
Van is waiting for collection . Not a van center local to us .Will not travel until they confirmed all things present & correct.

The problems and defects you mention got no influence on the fact it's a T6....
All the parts you mention are exact the same as in my 2012 SE .
It's just ....ok ....let's call it " bad luck" those problems showed up...:D
Really noting to worry about only thing is that you probally bought your T6 for holliday trips and not just trips to the dealer for repairs.

I am more relieved by the day that I have purchased my Cali from a dealer 10 mins away.

Slightly naive question maybe but my understanding is that you can take a vehicle for a warranty repair to any official VW dealership?

Obviously I get that it would be preferable to go back to the people you've started to build a relationship with but I'm hoping I didn't completely misread the situation!

It's quite natural that on a forum like this then you will read of a lot of faults. Very few come bounding in and say "Hi chaps, guess what? Picked up my new van and nothing wrong with it"

As Wim says, most of what gets reported on the T6 are also common to the T5, but as we only hear mostly about the failures and not the successes it does give the impression that the vehicle is a box of loose spanners just waiting to fall apart all over the place.

I'm sure there are many, many vehicles out there that were driven away and have had no serious faults.

Ok, my original high level brake light cover is lying in a road somewhere and I did have a bizarre mains charging problem that appears to have been a one-off, but apart from that Albert has been virtually faultless, which is more than I can say for the daft old bat in the drivers seat.

Slightly naive question maybe but my understanding is that you can take a vehicle for a warranty repair to any official VW dealership?

Obviously I get that it would be preferable to go back to the people you've started to build a relationship with but I'm hoping I didn't completely misread the situation!
You can but if you read around the different issues you will notice that it can be more difficult to get faults corrected and at the very least inconvenient. My point and one I have made in the past is that possibly and only possibly getting the cheapest price can lead to added complications down the line. I have done this in the past with an online purchase of a new car with a huge discount. It was not a problem as it was just a car. A Cali is vastly more complicated and it is something to bear in mind. What I am saying is all things being equal consider a local dealer and try to build a relationship.

My vehicle is cared for by a different dealer to the one who sold it to me.

I am fortunate though, my nearest dealer is one who knows and understands the Cali, but even then the relationship has on occasion been a little strained :D

Jen - last year I did start a thread stating nothing had fallen off or gone wrong with mine in its first 10,000 miles, it made extremely boring reading. It was at the same time that a now banned? member was moaning about how unreliable they were despite not actually owning one at the time.

A week later my first high level brake light fell off.

Im now up to 22,000 miles and apart from one rogue puncture warning nothings gone wrong.

Jen - last year I did start a thread stating nothing had fallen off or gone wrong with mine in its first 10,000 miles, it made extremely boring reading. It was at the same time that a now banned? member was moaning about how unreliable they were despite not actually owning one at the time.

A week later my first high level brake light fell off.

Im now up to 22,000 miles and apart from one rogue puncture warning nothings gone wrong.

Yes, I remember that thread :D

Nick of comfortz started a similar topic a couple of weeks ago,

Having owned a Mini, MG Midget,TR7 and Renult Fuego in the 70s it still amazes me that modern cars are so reliable, especially one as complicated as the Calli. As for reporting fault free motoring, who among us is so brave as to tempt the fickle hand of providence?

Back