Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

OEM Internal fabric curtain for front/rear windscreen - anyone made it seal better?

D

da_murphster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I like the internal fabric curtains as they are simple, keep dry and easy to store but they let in loads of light.

I was going to see how cheaply I could get blackout material sewn into them like here:

That would sort the front door windows fine I think.

The front and rear window both let light in at the sides - anyone improved this?

For the front windscreen I thought about some metal strips glued behind the pillar trim and magnets on the curtain?

Rear window - not sure?

Anyone done anything?

Or are you all lugging rainbow external covers around?

Externals are far less fussy and much darker. I used the VW internals for a bit but just too fiddly to do longer term and doesn't stop condensation like an external does.

Also the front side windows weren't as bad as the retracting front blinds. Far too fiddly for so much light to still get through.

Slip it in one of the chairs at the back and not looked back.

Externals are far less fussy and much darker. I used the VW internals for a bit but just too fiddly to do longer term and doesn't stop condensation like an external does.

Also the front side windows weren't as bad as the retracting front blinds. Far too fiddly for so much light to still get through.

Slip it in one of the chairs at the back and not looked back.
An external cover doesn't "stop" condensation, just moves it somewhere else within the van. Only ventilation stops condensation.
Probably find body panels within wardrobe/ kitchen have condensation instead.

An external cover doesn't "stop" condensation, just moves it somewhere else within the van. Only ventilation stops condensation.
Probably find body panels within wardrobe/ kitchen have condensation instead.
I had externals on my Caravelle and found they took up loads of space.

Any reason not to bung them up with pop top bed?

So I've broken and bought some rainbow covers from T6Forum (front and back) - they seem really good quality.

I'm in france in a few weeks so defo keen on full blackout.

I did pop to my local sewing place and they quoted £40 to blackout my oem internal blinds which I though was pretty good for a pro job - I might still do this and have both sets.

Will definately seek ways to get the oem ones to seal better front and back - I reckon magents for the front but dont know about the back?

The internal brandrup ones are good if it’s hot and block out light, designed to store in between chairs in the boot. Internal isotop will darken the roof:

Isolites are good, use them every week outside the winter. I do find that the VW rear blinds let in a fair bit of light especially the tailgate blind. Maybe I am just a light sleeper and an eye mask gets a bit warm in the summer, even in Scotland.

The internal brandrup ones are good if it’s hot and block out light, designed to store in between chairs in the boot. Internal isotop will darken the roof:

We have a set but so far only use them on the side windows. They are especially useful for the sliding door as they stay on the door when it opens rather than blocking it. So far I've only used the cab set when parked up at home as I haven't got around to fixing with velcro, but the windscreen blind will push into place without it.

Last edited:
I like the internal fabric curtains as they are simple, keep dry and easy to store but they let in loads of light.

I was going to see how cheaply I could get blackout material sewn into them like here:

That would sort the front door windows fine I think.

The front and rear window both let light in at the sides - anyone improved this?

For the front windscreen I thought about some metal strips glued behind the pillar trim and magnets on the curtain?

Rear window - not sure?

Anyone done anything?

Or are you all lugging rainbow external covers around?
have a look at Project campers de blinds very good but NOT cheap.store them in the upper bed when not in use.

Back