Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil temperature 115 degrees

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
When making the engine work hard, going up hill, the oil temperature on the MFD showed a maximum 115 degrees before I aborted our scenic side trip in the Portuguese hills. Throughout the rest of our holiday I anxiously monitored oil temperature on motorways. When moving along at c 70 miles per hour the oil temperature would steadily increase from around 100 degrees on the flat to 106 - 108 as I went uphill. As soon as we levelled off / came downhill the temperature would reduce.

Should I worry about this? I'm due a service, so will be changing oil soon. I've also discovered the EGR cooler debate (mine is a c prefix). So, when I change the oil I might have this tested for aluminium content too. Could this issue be connected to the EGR problems on 180 engines?

No don’t worry about oil temp in that range

normal Range is anywhere between 90 - 118

less than 90 the engine is warming up.

90 pootleing along, 118 working very hard

typically I can see 110 degrees when on a motorway run after climbing a sustained hill. Temp drops off when engine can ease off a bit

ambient temperature can make a difference as the hotter the ambient the hotter the engine generally.

You will find new oil will reduce the noise from the engine and make it feel smoother.

A regular testing regime and 6monthly oil changes is recommended if you are in any doubt. get the Millers oil test done, they will highlight anything that is out of tolerance with the oil and advise what to do to reduce the issue (Out of tolerance) there is a guy at millers who really knows his VW 180s - it can do no harm.

Last edited:
No don’t worry about oil temp in that range

normal Range is anywhere between 90 - 118

less than 90 the engine is warming up.

90 pootleing along, 118 working very hard

typically I can see 110 degrees when on a motorway run after climbing a sustained hill. Temp drops off when engine can ease off a bit

ambient temperature can make a difference as the hotter the ambient the hotter the engine generally.

You will find new oil will reduce the noise from the engine and make it feel smoother.

A regular testing regime and 6monthly oil changes is recommended if you are in any doubt. get the Millers oil test done, they will highlight anything that is out of tolerance with the oil and advise what to do to reduce the issue (Out of tolerance) tgere is a guy at millers who really knows his VW 180s - it can do no harm.
Thank you. That is very reassuring.

I have seen figures well over 110°C. during some long climbs in very hot weather.
Just note that oil gets much hotter than the coolant, and even the coolant gets well over 90°C. sometimes, but the needle on the instrument cluster will keep a big threshold around the 90°C. Otherwise everyone would be scared when the see the needle going back and forth when cooling/heating more.

My BMW seldom ever ran at less that 120°C. ! Synthetic oil is good for this sort of temperature.

Back