Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

One month down and it's almost the weekend... HOORAY

theonecraw

theonecraw

aka Rioja
Vehicle
Cali now sold
With so many threads about specs, options, corrosion, beach Vs ocean, T5.1 or T6, things not working and general Q&A I thought I'd start a more light hearted thread...

So the weekend is rapidly approaching us and I'll be spending a hour or so tonight prepping the Cali (Rioja) so my wife and I can jolly off straight from work tomorrow afternoon. She works at Heathrow and I'm lucky enough to have a desk in her office tomorrow along with our two dogs. Which means as soon as the final bell goes we can all jump into Rioja and head off on our usual weekend adventures.

This weekend we are trying a site that we have never been to before (because I can fish there whilst my wife chills out with her crochet or art). The site is a C&C club site in Chertsey and it's right on the Thames so we are hoping to go on a few nice walks and stop off at a few pubs for a couple of pints of ale and some nice food. If anybody can recommend anywhere nearby that allows dogs feel free to chime in...

I also picked up a new toy this week which I am thoroughly looking forward to trying out. After reading numerous threads on here I decided to treat us to a cadac safari. Up until now we have used our very efficient Outwell roast BBQ - but it's a big bit of kit. We'll still use the Outwell but mainly when we are in a larger group. Back to the cadac, do i risk a pizza on the stone or do i take all the advice i've heard and leave that at home?

In preparation for next weeks adventures with the kids we've got a topper, thermal screen and a few other nice bits turning up from Comfortz. It's a fantastic hobby and we are really enjoying it. We have had Rioja for almost a month now and we have been away every weekend. I am sure many will agree it's the best thing we have bought in a long, long time and only wish we had acquired one sooner. Happy days! :)

Right, that's enough of what we're up to, what have you got planned for the weekend in your Cali and have you got any new toys?

Last edited:
Niceone , glad to read some adventure is coming up !
Mine has not been out for a while now....:( But is ready to go at any time , first trip to France planned in april. Not that ofthen go on weekend trips , usualy 10 to 14 day trips...

We are going to a Britstop on Saturday night and then on Sunday go for a look around the Campervan/Caravan Show at the NEC where we will buy a new Britstop book and who knows what else!!

@theonecraw if all goes to plan, this will be my last weekend without a California. I have a friend coming over tomorrow night to plan a trip to the Alps that we're doing at Easter with our eldest daughters as an adventure for us all.

Tight lines. I hope you catch some good ones!

We are going to a Britstop on Saturday
- Got our Britstops 2016 book and sticker through the post last week. Hoping to use it soon but need to buy a port potty first. Any recommendations are welcome.

if all goes to plan, this will be my last weekend without a California
- Exciting times ahead. They'll be no looking back. A great investment. :)

Tan Hill Inn.
Might see the Northern Lights if we're lucky.
Don't forget to book your full English breakfast for the morning! Great place to pop to with the van. Especially on Saturday nights when they have a band on in the 'indoor beer garden'

Right, that's it!
He's coming out of 'storage' and getting restocked with stuff....winter's over, here goes!
And I'll hit the web and tick off some items: door mat, midge curtain (bits to sew together anyway), travel iron (decided it was a bit ridiculous taking full sized one)...oh and a plastic bucket......
Got a stand for my iPad this week and tick repellent for dog!
I'm not sure I need buy much else, we now have almost everything and the kitchen sink!

Combi boiler went down last night...temp 1C....it's a conspiracy....thought it might be my best excuse to sleep in van in drive.....then 'friend' (not a camper) lent me his fan heater.....grrrhhhh

Our van spends most of the winter being a car, we spring back into camper mode at Easter (which is really close now).

The plan is:
- Head to Paris - run the marathon (not me the other half!)
- Head to Disney
- Muck around in NE France for a few days - any recommendations???
- Head to Roubaix to see the end of the Paris-Roubaix bike race
- Come home

What a great post from theonecraw! Really lifted my spirits about what all this is really about. Looking forward to heading out to the coast and watching the sunrise over Yorkshire later in the year! The Cali is such a complex piece of kit, there always seems to be something to worry about, judging by all the threads I'm reading - but when you're off for the weekend, it all comes together.

We are off to the Kent coast for the Easter weekend - only 2 weeks to go... Counting the hours now. Got lots of new kit at the NEC show a couple of weeks ago so all ready. Very excited as it'll only be our second outing. Only had the van since early Feb but like most have slept on the drive and had one weekend away. Love it!

Back