Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Only in France: knockdown Cali for a knockdown price

Romke

Making the Most of our Coast
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
le-nouveau-volkswagen-california-origins-a-prix-reduit.jpg
VW France have just announced a new budget Cali version: the California Origins. It's basically a simplified Coast with a Beach dashboard and steering wheel. The Origins comes with a manual roof, Climatic aircon and the standard Coast/Ocean kitchen but without parking heater, park pilot and external shower. Prices start at just under 50K euros for the 102hp engine (other engines are available), which makes this model 10K euros cheaper than the basic Coast and 15K cheaper than the basic Ocean. The Origins will only be available in France but since cars on the continent can be bought in any EU country it may also be an attractive option for non-French Cali lovers.
So far the Origins doesn't appear in the configurator but that should change in the next few weeks.

Source (in French): http://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/a...swagen-moins-cher-special-pour-la-france.html

Last edited:
I really wish they would do [much] more along these lines instead of like all manufacturers stuffing more and more complication, computers, sensors, motors, driving aids, touch screens (the most dangerous thing to happen to cars in decades) and built in obsolescence in little sealed boxes of tricks that drive up the price and down the reliability.

Give us a grey bumper, steel wheel, manual roof, solid paint, basic aircon, push button stereo, washable seating, Beachy-Ocean with a simple removable kitchen pod that more people can afford.

But don't lose the blooming heater!

I'd go for that (although I'd add back the heater). To me, campervanning is all about a BBQ, beer and a sunset, not alloy wheels and blingy dashboards.

(Other opinions are available).

I'd go for that (although I'd add back the heater). To me, campervanning is all about a BBQ, beer and a sunset, not alloy wheels and blingy dashboards.

(Other opinions are available).
Ooooh you’re gonna upset the “I run 20” wheels with no loss of comfort” brigade :Nailbiting

A cheaper basic uncomplicated California that will provide exactly the same camping experience. What's not to like?

I agree with the above comments, the parking heater would have to be an option.

Being launched in France I'll bet they'll still insist on that typically French thing of putting the steering wheel on the wrong side. :(

Last edited:
Ooooh you’re gonna upset the “I run 20” wheels with no loss of comfort” brigade :Nailbiting
I haven't seen many of them across the Channel on my travels. Probably can't climb the ramps onto the ferries.:thumb

VW have probably produced this model to reduce Emissions by reducing the Vehicle weight.

^^^^^
That’s true.
But the general consensus is, we all crave a simpler form of California and this is heading in the right direction.

I believe they’re planning to offer a pre-corroded roof, just to cut out any worries. :confused:

I believe they’re planning to offer a pre-corroded roof, just to cut out any worries. :confused:

Why not go the whole hog (and when is someone going to have the b@lls to do this to their T6?):

upload_2018-10-4_12-27-34.png

I think that’s how it ends up if you let the roof rot issue go unchecked?

That is mindblowing - not to everyone's taste of course but simply incredible work. :thumb

Rustvan004.jpg

That is mindblowing - not to everyone's taste of course but simply incredible work. :thumb

wonder how often you would be not allowed onto a campsite or pulled over for a "condition" check over

wonder how often you would be not allowed onto a campsite or pulled over for a "condition" check over

Oh the joy of going to a Caravan Club (or whatever their name is now) site in that! :D

That's one way of protecting that shiny black paintwork.

VW have probably produced this model to reduce Emissions by reducing the Vehicle weight.
Yes, I'm sure the simplified Beach dashboard weighs two pounds less than the comfort dash in the Ocean

Yes, I'm sure the simplified Beach dashboard weighs two pounds less than the comfort dash in the Ocean
And No Heater, Manual Roof etc: so lesser WLTP emissions compared with an Ocean or a Coast. Not so silly nowadays.

I think WG may be right in that this variant intro could well be a small part of VW efforts to move towards the EU 'fleet average' emissions targets that come in in 2021. (Although not WLTP as such, which is just the new harmonised testing standard). And it's been reported that VW are behind other some of their competitors like Toyota and Renault-Nissan in getting towards the 2021 standards.

Apart from some weight-loss measures on the Cali (I assume a manual roof is quite a bit lighter than the powered one) introducing the 102 engine would also be a factor - although on the Transporters the 102 and 150 variants have pretty similar CO2 ratings so that would just be part of the mix.

But at the same time I think VW is probably also testing what might be a marketing opportunity for a de-specced Cali product.

Losing the electric roof and heater aren’t a bad option.
The manual roof is better alternative to live with in my experience and the heater is an easy retro fit.

Personally, I think they should go further and remove the central control panel. The fridge could work off it’s own controls and do we really need water gauges?

Removing the panel and it’s complexitys would make fault finding easier and reduce long term maintenance costs

Losing the electric roof and heater aren’t a bad option.
The manual roof is better alternative to live with in my experience and the heater is an easy retro fit.

Personally, I think they should go further and remove the central control panel. The fridge could work off it’s own controls and do we really need water gauges?

Removing the panel and it’s complexitys would make fault finding easier and reduce long term maintenance costs
I'm not even sure we need a water tank. When on site we just get 2litres of water in screw top bottle and put it in the kettle as needed. We have a silicone 'bucket' for the waste but it hardly gets used as we hardly use the sink, so that could go too. We don't wild camp so I wonder what those who do think about it!

Back