Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Our first Cali weekend in one we hired and left with doubts....

jillyfish

jillyfish

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We just spent our first weekend away in a hired 2018 Cali. Nice vehicle. We have ours on order and delivery anticipated before Xmas. Returned from weekend away yesterday after spending 3 nights in Mr Blue. We knew the weather was going to be devilish and changed our journey plans last minute. rather than tour Dartmoor for whole weekend we opted to go to the north Devon coast and experience the coastal drama and enjoy wet windy walks on the beach with our dog. First night spent in pub car park. second night parked along hill/seafront overlooking stormy Woollacoobe bay and the third night at fab little campsite edge of Dartmoor near Tavistock. The weekend was challenging, useful, enjoyable but has left us undecided due to several factors. here is what we found

The Vehicle Itself (camping internally)
Back seat to bed – very hard to put up and down. I could not manage it at all. (was told i was not heavy enough)
Front seats swivel. real fiddly, really not a smooth operation. Maybe better after time and practice
Back window blind hard to reach and close from inside unless bed is down/flat.
Sink/hob lids rattle when driving. Hire vehicle missing small rubber feet/studs
Sliding side windows in rear fiddly to close and seemed poor design but not sure what other option would be
Front window condensation in the morning resolved with screen heater
Back seat very uncomfortable to sleep on without additional topper/mattress.
Lots of light due to windows all around. Blinds effective but front one frayed badly due to many others using

The vehicle (drive experience)
First day a little wobbly due to getting used to auto. Floaty round downhill corners, due to my under use of brake pedal. Got used to this and better control achieved. Size not to bad, impressed by engine power going uphill in particular.
Lovely picture view front window. Side mirrors fab view behind. Good rear view via mirror also.
Not sure that would want to use as a daily drive. Would need to try it out for several months side by side with my car before deciding.
Manageable size. Larger vehicle not really an option. Would not want to drive anything bigger.
Great accessibility compared to other options (m/home/caravan)

Our Weekend Experience
Exceptionally bad weather this weekend. HOWEVER, we were warm dry and not too affected
We spent quite lot of time managing the vehicle internally, tidying and rearranging. Very aware that this is mainly because we are not used to the environment. Took too many clothes for example. Full time cali would be customised to our wants and needs with appropriate storage places and equipment right for us.
Steve slept very badly downstairs and a little better up top. Would be improved with mattress topper and pillow
we spent evening playing scrabble for the first time in memory..which was different and fun
We liked the freedom, choice and ability to adapt our journey or stops dependent upon whim, weather and in the moment experience.

We had hoped the weekend would leave us knowing that we are doing the right thing. However, we think we may need to take out for another weekend, as this first one was quite stressful and steep learning curve around use of the vehicle itself. Second time we would know exactly what to take what not to take and buy a Duvalay 5cm mattress topper in advance. The deal breaker for us is to ensure that we can get decent sleep. We found living in such a tight space in such an unprepared way a struggle. We believe that with our own Cali we would be able to manage the space so much better and adapt/customise storage. As it was we went with about five large 'bags for life' which all went in the back and wondered where we would store all the additional bulky items, such as Cali Topper, windscreen thermal cover, BBQ etc. cube loo. (see others say cube loo under sink but surely this is needed for cooking pots and food? we used a small bucket during night ) from what have seen, when we get the mattress topper that, along with the bedding will use up all the space behind the seat.

left undecided. dearly want to just 'go for it' . plan to keep our car now though at least for the interim. We think that the doubts we have will iron out with use. Can others share if they had similar experience/feelings at first use? Will having our own feel so much better?

thanks

It is a big decision but only you can decide. You are uncertain so why not hire again rather than buy and regret. Sorry if seems negative but rose tinted glasses do not guarantee a happy union.

It took me about 2 months to get used to driving my beach. I still have moments when me and the dsg gearbox/stop-start aren’t quite in synch! So, I think you will take a while to adapt to driving it and I wouldn’t worry about that too much. Mine rattles a lot though, especially on rough roads.......
As for camping, we have had 3 trips. Each time we have got better at organising and turning seats etc. On the second trip I was ready to throw in the towel - but the third trip was brilliant.
But I love camping, and would go in a tent if I didn’t have a Cali so am happy to work on the practicalities, even if it takes a while.

Also - it’s ok to be a fair weather camper - we realised quickly that we like campsites with hardstandings and warm shower blocks! And I probably would stay at home if the weather forecast is really terrible...... maybe we will get braver in the future?!
Not sure if this helps - I wanted a caravan for years but absolutely hated it when we hired one so understand how deflated you must feel .
We all sleep well in our beach - we have duvalays on the top bed which are amazing so would recommend them.

It took me about 2 months to get used to driving my beach. I still have moments when me and the dsg gearbox/stop-start aren’t quite in synch! So, I think you will take a while to adapt to driving it and I wouldn’t worry about that too much. Mine rattles a lot though, especially on rough roads.......
As for camping, we have had 3 trips. Each time we have got better at organising and turning seats etc. On the second trip I was ready to throw in the towel - but the third trip was brilliant.
But I love camping, and would go in a tent if I didn’t have a Cali so am happy to work on the practicalities, even if it takes a while.

Also - it’s ok to be a fair weather camper - we realised quickly that we like campsites with hardstandings and warm shower blocks! And I probably would stay at home if the weather forecast is really terrible...... maybe we will get braver in the future?!
Not sure if this helps - I wanted a caravan for years but absolutely hated it when we hired one so understand how deflated you must feel .
We all sleep well in our beach - we have duvalays on the top bed which are amazing so would recommend them.
thanks that is very useful. I do feel that we had a lot to deal with this weekend, not least the weather and agree that both the drive and camp experience will be variable but become much betterwith time and experience. Thanks for the comment on Duvalays... We do need to be sure we can sleep well to enjoy it all.

I think you have made a very good assessment and it pretty much is the same experience and set of conclusions I had when I hired mine before buying . I bought a fully spec’d 4wd 204 dsg.
In my opinion you can somewhat overcome the drawbacks but not totally , the fact is it is a trade off with the Cali . You will end up with a super flexible driving and camping vehicle , almost go anywhere with it , the inner city in a standard parking space, or the wild country side ... you will probably always be warm , the heater is great ...especially with a topper and a nice sleeping bag or duvet .. you will probably get used to the bed in time however like me you learn to travel with very little stuff .. or trip will be annoying, having to clamber over stuff and things will always be in the way and or difficult to find. I haven’t learnt this art yet.
On balance my view is it’s a great if somewhat overpriced vehicle , but countering that is the depreciation is not too bad .
We have bought a caravan now too , an Eriba Triton .. we take both sometimes when we travel as a couple and love the two room option it gives us . My wife likes to go to bed earlier then me and I like to stay up an watch a film and have a cup of tea...We use the Eriba for the bedroom and bathroom and it takes care of all storage needs . The Cali is our lounge . When I travel alone with my dog I just take the Cali . My wife likes the fixed bed of the Eriba and not having to keep remaking the bed . The Eriba is very easy to tow.
In two years time , well before the Cali five year guarantee is up so we can sell it easily , we will decide if we keep the Eriba and the Cali or just the Eriba , or sell both and get a bigger camper , such as the new VW XL .FEBB86BD-342D-49BD-BD27-2392B4E67EF8.jpeg

Last edited:
I think it is a common mistake, to bring too much stuff that it is not really needed. I'm guilty of this as well. With a bit of experience and as you said, personalising your storage solutions, it will make it more enjoyable. Than of course it is a question of getting familiar with the functions of the camper. The California is a compromise, you need to use it and appreciate it for what it is. It will never be as comfortable while camping as a big white. But it consume less, way quicker and agile, higher residuals, it can be definitely used as a first or second car. It is shorter and narrower (albeit taller) of my Q7...

I think you get used to a van, I now feel a bit weird driving a car, it feels too low and go cart like after using a cali full time for 4 years.

The downstairs beds can be hard work, perhaps try the roof bed which is a piece of cake (although this time of year may be chilly without a topper of some kind).

Ultimately most people take far too much stuff with them in a camper in the early days (and some I assume believe its essential stuff and keep taking it ;) ). It takes a bit of time and experience to minimise and stop taking lots of unnecessary stuff.

You've done the right thing in trying before you buy, it doesn't suit everyone so you only find out by doing it.

Hi Jillyfish
I am sorry to hear your first experience of the California was not as good as it could be. My husband and I (I've jumped on his login) have owned and used them personally for several years travelling many enjoyable miles and having lots of great adventures.

Earlier this year we set up our own hire company renting VW California's and I would like to make the following observations:

The handover (both for buying and renting is crucial) and an area we feel often not given enough time and experience. The blinds as you mention are fiddly and ideally need both hands to operate. The rear blind should ideally be closed before you set up for the night from the outside. Everything in the California has a specific way of operating so that it does not rattle and shake when travelling. We cover every single element of this in handover, even down to how to open the cupboards and wardrobes, slide the table back to the locked position and checking the awning is wound tight, as from our experience all of these things can be a headache if not secured correctly. We keep a supply of plastic suckers for the hob for exactly the reason you mentioned. We use thermal screens on the inside of the windows which fold flat and take up very little space, they are better than the fabric options supplied with the van.

All of our vehicles have the comfort mattress options for the 'downstairs' bed as I consider this essential for a good nights sleep. I sleep much better 'upstairs' as it is wider and do not feel the need for a topper there. Personal opinion of course. Perhaps consider this for your purchase.

Packing becomes an art form and I now feel I could travel for several months in the cali without ever feeling in need of anything. We do not carry toppers or toilets so again I would caution about going out and buying too much stuff until you have tried different things and got the feel of how things work for you. We do however travel with a separate event dome which we set up for outdoor dining so we can drive away and leave certain items on site if we are staying in one place for a while. We have travelled extensively throughout Europe and the ease of driving the Cali and fitting it in any car park for us far outweighs the perceived lack of space. I am very fussy when it comes to campsites and make sure the bathroom facilities are excellent so I never feel I am missing out by not having our own facilities.

We enjoy the games/cards nights as you mentioned and do not take a television with us for exactly this reason.

We use crush sacks for our bedding and microfibre towels to save space and ensure they dry quickly when on the move. We also use packing cubes and as many others suggest having different colours for each of you is a great way to find what you need easily. I am happy to talk through any other questions or queries you may have and feel disappointed that you did not come away feeling excited about your imminent purchase.

Wishing you all the best

Ellen

This all sounds quite familiar, it’s a compromise, you have to figure out if you can live with the compromises and then you can get a lot out of a California.

We have a Beach but there are 4 of us with lots of stuff children need too. We are getting better at packing and organising our kit. Key is to take less. And organise what you do take into boxes and small bags we find.

Camping in bad weather makes it twice as hard. Ground being wet and not being able to empty the boot without it getting wet etc.

Really useful boxes are excellent for camping gear.
Packing cubes for each persons clothes
Find designated places for things

We find a small pop up tent invaluable for children’s car seats and anything else we don’t need for the evening goes in there. Pitches and collapses in minutes.

Still find the bed uncomfortable. Downstairs that is. And that’s with the compact (2.5cm) Duvalay topper over the VW mattress. Beach bed is different to ocean however.

I love driving the beach, I do wish it was lowered or had HD AR bars to reduce body roll but it’s great on a run. Love it in the lanes with better visibility, and it’s fine round town.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a drive away awning which gives us space to spread out on site and the zip in bedroom is home to the porta loo. It does come in quite a big bag so we carry it on the bike rack.
F5D1260B-8C8A-4047-8A7D-8696218AD38F.jpeg
04627F8E-7B87-4841-B87C-1CB9A82CC11A.jpeg

Hi Jillyfish
I am sorry to hear your first experience of the California was not as good as it could be. My husband and I (I've jumped on his login) have owned and used them personally for several years travelling many enjoyable miles and having lots of great adventures.

Earlier this year we set up our own hire company renting VW California's and I would like to make the following observations:

The handover (both for buying and renting is crucial) and an area we feel often not given enough time and experience. The blinds as you mention are fiddly and ideally need both hands to operate. The rear blind should ideally be closed before you set up for the night from the outside. Everything in the California has a specific way of operating so that it does not rattle and shake when travelling. We cover every single element of this in handover, even down to how to open the cupboards and wardrobes, slide the table back to the locked position and checking the awning is wound tight, as from our experience all of these things can be a headache if not secured correctly. We keep a supply of plastic suckers for the hob for exactly the reason you mentioned. We use thermal screens on the inside of the windows which fold flat and take up very little space, they are better than the fabric options supplied with the van.

All of our vehicles have the comfort mattress options for the 'downstairs' bed as I consider this essential for a good nights sleep. I sleep much better 'upstairs' as it is wider and do not feel the need for a topper there. Personal opinion of course. Perhaps consider this for your purchase.

Packing becomes an art form and I now feel I could travel for several months in the cali without ever feeling in need of anything. We do not carry toppers or toilets so again I would caution about going out and buying too much stuff until you have tried different things and got the feel of how things work for you. We do however travel with a separate event dome which we set up for outdoor dining so we can drive away and leave certain items on site if we are staying in one place for a while. We have travelled extensively throughout Europe and the ease of driving the Cali and fitting it in any car park for us far outweighs the perceived lack of space. I am very fussy when it comes to campsites and make sure the bathroom facilities are excellent so I never feel I am missing out by not having our own facilities.

We enjoy the games/cards nights as you mentioned and do not take a television with us for exactly this reason.

We use crush sacks for our bedding and microfibre towels to save space and ensure they dry quickly when on the move. We also use packing cubes and as many others suggest having different colours for each of you is a great way to find what you need easily. I am happy to talk through any other questions or queries you may have and feel disappointed that you did not come away feeling excited about your imminent purchase.

Wishing you all the best

Ellen

Rilla - Which crush sacks do you use for bedding? We have packing cubes for clothes but haven’t found something for bedding yet!

Hi @jillyfish

As others have said a camper is all about compromises and whether you can live with those compromises in exchange for the "go-anywhere, anytime" virtues the vehicle provides.

Downstairs bed: I always sleep downstairs and the only time I have had problems with pulling forward/folding back is when I broke my right wrist, and still have not regained full strength. It is something that practice makes not quite perfect but a lot easier. Getting the backside into as near as rear central on the seat squab helps, plus ensuring the release leaver is fully pulled up... I find it pulls up, then with a bit more of a pull goes up a millimetre more which makes all the difference to smooth running.

Front seats swivelling: For my first three journeys I gave up. Then it started to be a bit easier. Now I don't even think about it. Get out, steering wheel up and forward, armrests down, seat back partially folded, pull the lever and swivel, done in quicker time than it took me to type this.

Back side window blind is fiddly, there is only so much space in a sub 5m long vehicle, but facing the back left hand for me has no problem reaching.

Those sliding windows are a pain.

Front windscreen condensation is I'm afraid a natural product of small space, lots of water vapour being breathed out and a cold surface for it to settle on. In the winter months I use an external insulated screen. Easy to put on, keeps the ice off outside and the condensation away inside.

For the downstairs bed a topper is essential IMO.

As for packing, unpacking, rearranging, unpacking, packing ....... I'm still doing it after 6 years :)

Here are our thoughts - totally feel for you as it's such a major decision and so anything that puts you off is a real worry. Depending on where you are in the country, always happy to show or discuss as you like... I've put comments in blue against your worries below.

Back seat to bed – very hard to put up and down. I could not manage it at all. (was told i was not heavy enough) - There's a technique to both sliding the seat forwards and backwards without the clicking happening and also to reclining it. Don't give up - it really does get easier! It's all about having your knees in the right place when you pull up the strap... tricky to explain but it shouldn't involve lots of force or weight!

Front seats swivel. real fiddly, really not a smooth operation. Maybe better after time and practice
- Again - it's a technique thing. We drew a line on the runners to show where you need to pull the seat to before fully swivelling. To see the line you need to just swivel a few degrees, wind the seat right forwards push the steering wheel in and pull the armrests down. A bit of a faff but quick once you're used to it.

Back window blind hard to reach and close from inside unless bed is down/flat. - We always do it from the outside with the boot open - much easier.

Sink/hob lids rattle when driving. Hire vehicle missing small rubber feet/studs - Yup you need those rubber feet! We don't have any rattles at the moment (although probably tempting fate there!)

Sliding side windows in rear fiddly to close and seemed poor design but not sure what other option would be - Yup you get used to it

Front window condensation in the morning resolved with screen heater - Internal screens are a bit fiddly and not that dark plus they leave the front screen to get cold and create condensation. We have an external screen and many others do - from the club shop - the good thing about that one is that it folds away inside one of the chairs in the boot so doesn't take up any more room. Yes it's another thing that might be wet but we haven't really found that a problem.

Back seat very uncomfortable to sleep on without additional topper/mattress. - Totally agree! You'll find loads and loads of threads on here on this same topic and, of course, everyone is different so some people totally disagree on it. In our experience, having been campers for years where we had really sorted the sleeping side of things with amazing thick self inflating mattresses, the cali bed was a real disappointment! We rented one with a regular seat (ie no ironically titled 'comfort' mattress but it did come with a 2.5cm duvalay. This wasnt' enough for us. So when we ordered ours with the comfort mattress... and were equally disappointed as it's really firm. So we then bought a zonesleep and tried that (not at all cheap either!) but still not good enough.. then tried a 5cm duvalay... best of them all but still not anything like what we'd had when camping. So now what we have is no comfort mattress - which means that the rear shelf can be on the upper setting giving a better boot, and we have the zone sleep with the duvalay on top of it with a duvet on top of that!! Sounds crazy I know but actually works really well and folds okay on the shelf and we then lay our duvet and pillow plus those from the kids bed all on top with a throw over that with a couple of straps. Now that we have it sorted it works well and we can pack up or put the bed down in about 5 mins. (again though, each to their own!)

Lots of light due to windows all around. Blinds effective but front one frayed badly due to many others using - get a separate front blind - our external one is pitch black as well as being good for insulation in both winter and summer.

First day a little wobbly due to getting used to auto. Floaty round downhill corners, due to my under use of brake pedal. Got used to this and better control achieved. Size not to bad, impressed by engine power going uphill in particular. - totally agree - we found that with the rental one. We were lucky enough to then be lent one before ours arrived which had 18" wheels - that made a fair difference. On ours though we went for heavy duty anti-roll bars and also had stiffer springs put in which are 3cm lower too and those two things on 17" wheels make a massive difference and really make it drive like a car. Not sure which of the two makes the bigger difference, I suspect the anti roll bars but would highly recommend.

Lovely picture view front window. Side mirrors fab view behind. Good rear view via mirror also.
Not sure that would want to use as a daily drive. Would need to try it out for several months side by side with my car before deciding. - We took the plunge and it's our only car. Love it and have never had the slightest regret!
Manageable size. Larger vehicle not really an option. Would not want to drive anything bigger.

Our Weekend Experience
Exceptionally bad weather this weekend. HOWEVER, we were warm dry and not too affected
We spent quite lot of time managing the vehicle internally, tidying and rearranging. Very aware that this is mainly because we are not used to the environment. Took too many clothes for example. Full time cali would be customised to our wants and needs with appropriate storage places and equipment right for us.
- yes it takes a while to sort it for you and a lot of iterations. Things we've done that have made the difference are (and we have 4 of us living in it) All clothes (except things like walking boots, coats etc) are stored in the main van and we don't use regular bags - that was our mistake when we rented!) our kids clothes are in ikea separator/boxes in the large drawer under the seat and ours are in packing cubes in the wardrobe. We spent a fortune buying shelves for that wardrobe instead of the hanging rail and that stops the packing cubes just being stuffed on top of each other. We also put some rechargeable mini lights in the cupboard too. It does take a certain type of mind to make it work in such a small space - like being in a boat - and so our tip in take the least you can manage with and use packing cubes.

Steve slept very badly downstairs and a little better up top. Would be improved with mattress topper and pillow
we spent evening playing scrabble for the first time in memory..which was different and fun
We liked the freedom, choice and ability to adapt our journey or stops dependent upon whim, weather and in the moment experience.

We had hoped the weekend would leave us knowing that we are doing the right thing. However, we think we may need to take out for another weekend, as this first one was quite stressful and steep learning curve around use of the vehicle itself. Second time we would know exactly what to take what not to take and buy a Duvalay 5cm mattress topper in advance. The deal breaker for us is to ensure that we can get decent sleep. We found living in such a tight space in such an unprepared way a struggle. We believe that with our own Cali we would be able to manage the space so much better and adapt/customise storage. As it was we went with about five large 'bags for life' which all went in the back and wondered where we would store all the additional bulky items, such as Cali Topper, windscreen thermal cover, BBQ etc. cube loo. (see others say cube loo under sink but surely this is needed for cooking pots and food? we used a small bucket during night ) from what have seen, when we get the mattress topper that, along with the bedding will use up all the space behind the seat. - on top of the rear shelf we only have bedding, strapped down. Underneath it (and remember ours is on the higher setting so makes quite a difference) we have a cube loo, a general purpose plastic box with spare gas cylinder amongst other things, levelling ramps, some folding stools, a bbq and still a bit of room for one or two bags for life.

left undecided. dearly want to just 'go for it' . plan to keep our car now though at least for the interim. We think that the doubts we have will iron out with use. Can others share if they had similar experience/feelings at first use? Will having our own feel so much better? - fear not! But give it proper thought and it works like a dream![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
A very comprehensive and honest appraisal of a first time Cali experience. :thumb I'm sure that most if not all Cali owners can identify with your comments but don't be put off.

Being honest with yourself is essential but remember not to be too hard on yourself or too hasty to come to conclusions. You picked a grotty weekend to spend in an unfamiliar vehicle. You yourself admit that you took too much stuff and you haven't had the time or the opportunity to develop either an efficient stowage plan or a good routine. Without both of these elements Cali life will be chaotic and difficult at best.

As you have discovered, to get the most out of your van you need to be clear about what you actually need to take. Once you've worked that out, decide the best place to house each of these items for easy access. Remember that before you cook and eat a meal get every thing you are going to need out ready otherwise you will be in and out like a fiddlers elbow getting stuff from here and there. Example: If you are sitting cooking then getting things from the under seat drawer or under sink cupboards can be a challenge without hopping out of the van. Also the top loader fridge can be a right PITA after a while as everything needs to be moved off the top to get items out. My suggestion would be to get a large tray or better still a large oven roasting tin with high sides so that it can be lifted off in one go complete with contents. If anything spills then it's held in the tray.

When making up the beds send your fellow campers off to do the washing up or to ablute. When moving and folding the bed down it's best to sit on the bench seat, pull the handle and walk it forward. As for getting a comfortable nights sleep many owners use a mattress topper as the optional VW "Comfort" mattress is Germanically firm. You could also consider a self inflating mattress and a bottle of wine. The latter can make all the difference. Seriously though, making sure the vehicle is as level as possible is also essential to achieving a good nights sleep.

You can raise the rear window blind with ease once the bed is down. However, I just open the rear tail gate and do that from outside.

Turning the drivers seat is a skill that you will learn. It isn't difficult but you have to know what you are doing. The key is to position the forward/backwards location of the seat correctly. This has to be precise. To do this you need to look at the very front end of the off/side drivers seat runner whilst standing in the opened drivers doorway. You will notice that it has a hole at the front end. Position the seat so that the hole is just clear of the seat base element of the seat runner i.e the very rear of the hole is in line with the front edge of the seat base slider rail. Then wind the seat back forward as far as it will go and ensure the arm rests are fully down. Depending on how you have you steering wheel positioned, you may need to adjust it towards the dash. I've left the most important thing until last. If you have a DSG ensure it's in park and release the handbrake before swiveling the drivers seat then re-apply the handbrake afterwards. If you have a manual then things get a little tricky. You will need to ensure the vehicle will not move. Best to chock the wheels and put the vehicle in gear opposite to the gradient i.e if it's likely to roll forwards then stick it in reverse. Then release the handbrake and swivel the seat. Once swivelled re-apply the handbrake. I know, it's a stupid arrangement. Having got this far you should have been able to swivel the front seat fully without it contacting anything on the way round. Once swivelled, slide the seat rearwards and adjust the back and arms to suit. To return it to the driving position just do the reverse whilst ensuring the hole is in the same position before attempting the swivel. It sounds complicated but it isn't. Follow these steps precisely and you won't have any issues. Try to turn it in a hit or miss manner and it will frustrate you and possibly damage the trim as well. By comparison, the passenger seat is a doddle.

To close the side windows, pull the butterfly catch wings towards you and slide the window closed. The last little bit of travel requires the window to move diagonally outwards so you need to push on the butterfly catch obliquely forwards towards the side of the vehicle. It won't close easily with purely forward pressure. Look at the design of the window runner groove for reference.

I would be very suprised if you don't get use to driving it in time and indeed enjoy driving it.

Good luck and don't despair, we've all been there.

Last edited:
Rilla - Which crush sacks do you use for bedding? We have packing cubes for clothes but haven’t found something for bedding yet!

We use one of these......great bit of kit. Blacks do something similar made by Osprey.

Your appreciation of issues may also depend on where you come from...

If ever you have been travelling in a Landrover Defender with a roof tent, then the California is heaven! All the annoyances you describe are suddenly completely irrelevant minor things you will laugh about and put up with easily. If you come from the side of resort holidays with a Tesla Model S as a daily driver, then a kitchen top rattle can drive you completely out of your mind, probably.
(We are the former type, so no bad word about our California!! :D )

It's best that you rent a few times, and see if you really like it. As for taking and packing stuff: we have indeed all been there, with far too much gear.
Now we have Bart's clothing in the back wardrobe and Marga's in the front wardrobe, and on the bed in the back just our sleeping gear (duvet, cushions) and one big bag with our walking gear, and can be on the road with this little for weeks on end.
All the car and camping gear goes under the bed in the back, topper and front screen isolation between the seats in the hatch. Porta potti in the front cupboard, cooking gear in the rear cupboard, food storage in the under bench drawer. That's it.

We use one of these......great bit of kit. Blacks do something similar made by Osprey.

We just went for a duvet in a bag from M&S, might go for one of the Osprey bags for the pillows though, which just live on top of the folded up mattress at the moment.

, 4BD5ED9D-F4FD-40C7-A10B-319480BDFA30.jpeg

We just spent our first weekend away in a hired 2018 Cali. Nice vehicle. We have ours on order and delivery anticipated before Xmas. Returned from weekend away yesterday after spending 3 nights in Mr Blue. We knew the weather was going to be devilish and changed our journey plans last minute. rather than tour Dartmoor for whole weekend we opted to go to the north Devon coast and experience the coastal drama and enjoy wet windy walks on the beach with our dog. First night spent in pub car park. second night parked along hill/seafront overlooking stormy Woollacoobe bay and the third night at fab little campsite edge of Dartmoor near Tavistock. The weekend was challenging, useful, enjoyable but has left us undecided due to several factors. here is what we found

Back seat to bed – very hard to put up and down. I could not manage it at all. (was told i was not heavy enough)
Sliding side windows in rear fiddly to close and seemed poor design but not sure what other option would be
Lots of light due to windows all around. Blinds effective but front one frayed badly due to many others using

First day a little wobbly due to getting used to auto. Floaty round downhill corners, due to my under use of brake pedal. Got used to this and better control achieved. Size not to bad, impressed by engine power going uphill in particular.
Not sure that would want to use as a daily drive. Would need to try it out for several months side by side with my car before deciding.

Our Weekend Experience

We had hoped the weekend would leave us knowing that we are doing the right thing. However, we think we may need to take out for another weekend, as this first one was quite stressful and steep learning curve around use of the vehicle itself. Second time we would know exactly what to take what not to take and buy a Duvalay 5cm mattress topper in advance. The deal breaker for us is to ensure that we can get decent sleep. We found living in such a tight space in such an unprepared way a struggle. We believe that with our own Cali we would be able to manage the space so much better and adapt/customise storage. As it was we went with about five large 'bags for life' which all went in the back and wondered where we would store all the additional bulky items, such as Cali Topper, windscreen thermal cover, BBQ etc. cube loo. (see others say cube loo under sink but surely this is needed for cooking pots and food? we used a small bucket during night ) from what have seen, when we get the mattress topper that, along with the bedding will use up all the space behind the seat.

left undecided. dearly want to just 'go for it' . plan to keep our car now though at least for the interim. We think that the doubts we have will iron out with use. Can others share if they had similar experience/feelings at first use? Will having our own feel so much better?

thanks
If I understand your first sentences, you have already ordered your Cali and then you decided to rent one to try?

In some ways you chose the best weekend to try it.

Anything seems great in the sun, driving rain shows you warts and all.

If the weekend left you thinking about solutions to niggles you are half way there. The van driving experience is what it is.

If I understand your first sentences, you have already ordered your Cali and then you decided to rent one to try?
We had booked the hire about a month before we decided to order. We realised that to order a T6 we only had a small window and in fact ordered in the week before last orders were taken I believe. We had been considering for a time and opted to order now rather than wait for the T6.1. I understand that we can cancel our order right up to last minute and forego our £500 deposit. We are 80% sure we are going to love it and continue with the purchase. The hire experience was we felt, something we needed to do before such a big spend. We may do a second weekend but mostly to try out the duvalay mattress topper which needs to provide a decent rest for other half especially.

Hi Jillyfish

Wishing you all the best

Ellen
thank you for all this Ellen. Can you tell me where to get the packing cubes? not sure what they are maybe a picture. we have decided to measure every space and attempt to find storage solutions for every cranny. I expect will find dimensions for kitchen cupboards and under bed/rear somewhere on this forum.
jill

thank you for all this Ellen. Can you tell me where to get the packing cubes? not sure what they are maybe a picture. we have decided to measure every space and attempt to find storage solutions for every cranny. I expect will find dimensions for kitchen cupboards and under bed/rear somewhere on this forum.
jill
Hi Jill
Please find a link below although there are many options available:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078N378F5/?tag=eliteelect-21

jill
@jillyfish search for this thread. IKEA INSIDE MY VW T6 CALIFORNIA OCEAN I would link it but not sure how! It has some great information on storage solutions. There are other solutions, but I just found Ikea an easy one stop shop for boxes etc. @yuchili youtube videos are good to watch too.

Our Weekend Experience

thanks
Hi Jillyfish,

I can identify with everything you say. But we still went ahead after hiring a camper for only 3 nights and staying only 7 miles from home.

First impression of driving the Cali felt a bit wobbly, as you say, also top heavy on cornering. Taking things steady I became used to the feel and began to find the driving experience very relaxing and I loved the visibility (my wife still hasn't driven it yet!) On one of our early trips we headed down to Cornwall with our Grandson. I thought the narrow winding roads would be a challenge but I felt more in control than I do when driving a car.

The weather for early August was an unforgetable experience. Heavy rain and 45mph winds. We pitched up in torrential rain (pitch No.13) and only manged to stake out the awning with the help of neighbouring caravaners, who could have easily looked on from the comfort of their van as we struggled to set up. By the time we had finished we were soaked to our underwear and had to place all of our wet clothing in carrier bags. It was too windy to use the pop-up so we left the front seats in situ and placed a foam mattress across to make an improvised bed for our Grandson. The M5 had been closed in both directions that day on the journey down and after driving for almost 13 hours we were all in. It was suprisingly warm and cosy and we opened a bottle of wine before settling down.

I woke in the early hours to see the sliding door part way open and my wife outside in the awning. It seems she had noticed that the awning had part collapsed and was half way off the kador strip and in the process of being blown away! We detached it from the van and restaked it and hoped for the best. The following morning the weather forecast indicated a one hour break between 7 and 8am, just enough time to put on our wet clothing again, drop the awning and pack it away. Everthing that would have gone in the awning, including the stove and the child seat was placed neatly next to the camper and covered over with the groundsheet and staked to the ground - and this is how it remained, along with my wet trainers, for the rest of our stay. At least we had the van and were warm and dry. The weather did improve briefly, and we managed a day on the beach!

With limited space we soon got into a routine with the bed, blind, seats and general tidying. At first it was a chore but being unfamiliar with the process everything took longer. My wife had difficulty raising and lowering the bed at first but there is a knack of kneeling on the seat base which works fine for us. The window blinds can roll back quickly so just treat them gently, like the till in Open All Hourrs lol.

We had previously done a 'try before you buy' experience and having found the fold down bed a little uncomfortable we negotiated a topper when buying our own camper. This, and a mattress topper from Dunelms is ideal. We have been told told that if there is only two of us we should sleep up top but my wife would struggle to get up there and I prefer to sleep below!

What we learned:
- if the weather's bad wait for it to clear before trying to put up the awning. Gear can be stored outside using sturdy groundsheets to provide space inside
- dont leave the fly screens in at night, even with the windows almost closed rain trickles down the back of the cupboard - I thought the sink was leaking - on a previous trip.
- make sure the sink tap is fully down as it rattles against the glass lid when travelling and place a small piece of foam under the sink and cooker lids
- make sure the sliding table is secured - this rattles like hell if you dont
- make a list of what you did and didn't need on your last trip
- have a spare key made and keep it on a lanyard around your neck to avoid being locked out - we haven't but others have
- on early trips dont travel too far, that way you spend less time driving and more time getting used to the camper
- you don't need lots of stuff for cooking - we have a frying pan, steamer and kettle
- dont take lots of food, as we did, if you need it there is usually a shop close by or on the way - check for local shops before setting out
- sleep with the tambour wardrobe door open - I tend to elbow the door when I turn over in my sleep - a replacement could be costly!
- cube loo, we don't have one as we have always chosen sites that have toilet and shower facilities - but I guess there may be a time?

We are beginners, 4 months in, and still learning and I expect that everyones views will be different. We didn't want to be tied to a static van, didn't want the stress of towing one or having to change the car to do it. So for us the camper, with lower depreciation costs, was the right choice - a home from home on wheels, albeit a small one, and with the benefits of a car re driving, manouverability and public parking. In our son's words, "You are spending a lot of money but if you don't like it you won't lose much when you sell it".

Every trip has been a new experience and neither of us regret our decision.

Pictures below of first night in Cornwall this year, next day with awning packed away and raincoat drying out, tight roads and lunch at Treyarnon bay

Cornwall_Aug_2019.JPG