Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Over-wintering a Cali

HectorPascal

HectorPascal

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Calis, like holiday tour reps, don’t generally work as hard in the winter. In our case we don’t have a nice heated double garage (drool) and our machine sits somewhat forlornly on the drive in all weathers dreaming of the Spring.

So would it help keep the British cold and damp out of her bones to place a small greenhouse heater on the floor area? We have given it a try and so far the jury is out…

I thought that I’d better consult the oracle and see if there were any bits of sage advice out there as to why this might be a dumb idea.

Anyone done something similar? Anyone got any tips?

Calis, like holiday tour reps, don’t generally work as hard in the winter. In our case we don’t have a nice heated double garage (drool) and our machine sits somewhat forlornly on the drive in all weathers dreaming of the Spring.

So would it help keep the British cold and damp out of her bones to place a small greenhouse heater on the floor area? We have given it a try and so far the jury is out…

I thought that I’d better consult the oracle and see if there were any bits of sage advice out there as to why this might be a dumb idea.

Not a dumb idea but it is more important to make sure the vehicle is dry inside. I don’t heat mine, but it is in constant use but I do have 2 or 3 Disposable Dehumidifiers in the vehicle all year round.

Heating it will make it nice and toasty for mice etc.

Heating it will make it nice and toasty for mice etc.
I found out that the hard way when I overwintered my bike. Chewed through some of the wiring. Now I’m sorry to say I have to place mousetraps strategically around it. So far this autumn I’ve caught 7.
I really don’t like doing it but refuse to put poison down and at least a trap is instant.

I found out that the hard way when I overwintered my bike. Chewed through some of the wiring. Now I’m sorry to say I have to place mousetraps strategically around it. So far this autumn I’ve caught 7.
I really don’t like doing it but refuse to put poison down and at least a trap is instant.

Yep, if I’m not using the Cali for a while, I place mousetraps around. They quite often spring…

So far this autumn I’ve caught 7.
I hate to tell you but it is not always instant. Like you I will not use poison and a while ago I had to put traps in a garage. I thought a spring trap would be a quick death.

On a whim I also set up a Bushnell TrailCam. Wish I had not because on more than one occasion I ended up with a series of pictures of half trapped rodents moving around (even dragging the traps with them) before they died.

I've put electric mouse repelers in my storage unit, 10 years and no more mice, also in the Garage in France where mice had moved in to consume my Walnut stock, again no mice since, 5 years

This type of unit, can't locate the ones that I have - probably superceded.

One of these in the Cali engine bay

I've put electric mouse repelers in my storage unit, 10 years and no more mice, also in the Garage in France where mice had moved in to consume my Walnut stock, again no mice since, 5 years

This type of unit, can't locate the ones that I have - probably superceded.

One of these in the Cali engine bay

I have tried one of these electrical repellents and the bloody mice just stole all of the peanuts meant for the birds and filled two exhaust cans no doubt ready for the winter. Looking at the ones that have been caught they seemed to have been dispatched very quickly with spring traps. I’ve told my cat she needs to start earning her living but I’ve seen her with a mouse and she plays with them for ages before getting fed up and finishing them off.

Not a dumb idea but it is more important to make sure the vehicle is dry inside. I don’t heat mine, but it is in constant use but I do have 2 or 3 Disposable Dehumidifiers in the vehicle all year round.
@WelshGas could you elobrate on why it's important to keep the inside dry using humidifiers?

I have tried one of these electrical repellents and the bloody mice just stole all of the peanuts meant for the birds and filled two exhaust cans no doubt ready for the winter. Looking at the ones that have been caught they seemed to have been dispatched very quickly with spring traps. I’ve told my cat she needs to start earning her living but I’ve seen her with a mouse and she plays with them for ages before getting fed up and finishing them off.
As I said worked well for me, even got rid of those huge French Spiders in the Garage. Both set to random outputs.

@WelshGas could you elobrate on why it's important to keep the inside dry using humidifiers?
Sorry, but why wouldn’t you want the vehicle to be dry inside. It is surprising how much water can be collected. It avoids condensation inside a locked vehicle when the ambient temperature drops. Electrics/electronics don’t like damp and neither do I.
The vehicle lives outside and is used frequently.

I just realised I have caused confusion… we placed our 80W 18” tubular greenhouse heater inside the van on the floor. Not on the floor under the van.

Sorry, but why wouldn’t you want the vehicle to be dry inside. It is surprising how much water can be collected. It avoids condensation inside a locked vehicle when the ambient temperature drops. Electrics/electronics don’t like damp and neither do I.
The vehicle lives outside and is used frequently.
Oh no I totally agree. I was just wondering if you had any specific reasons other then the obvious ones. Rust, etc. I have so far never used dehumidifiers in the van and was wonering if perhaps I should

Oh no I totally agree. I was just wondering if you had any specific reasons other then the obvious ones. Rust, etc. I have so far never used dehumidifiers in the van and was wonering if perhaps I should
I once owned a LWB 7 seater Series3 Land Rover, not renowned for being waterproof, and everytime the temperature dropped in winter the inside would be covered in condensation and driving it was like being in a mobile shower. I put 3 disposable humidifiers inside and it transformed the experience. The California is much better but will still produce condensate on windscreen, windows and body panels behind the plastic trim, maybe to a lesser extent, but the Dehumidifiers still collect a substantial amount of water, no obvious internal condensation when the temperature drops and so I will continue.

The problem is the Gulfstream. We have spells of sustained cold but it’s never long before that warm breath is influencing our weather again. Then the following few days will see condensation on cold-soaked surfaces. Humidity and cold in unventilated spaces are good for pretty much nothing. Although much reduced inside a van it still has an effect. Just a small heater may make a difference but whether it is worth the cost is maybe doubtful. Presently I am using the 3-pin plug inside the van which means having the van itself plugged in - maybe not a good thing for the leisure battery. I was interested in others experiences.

The problem is the Gulfstream. We have spells of sustained cold but it’s never long before that warm breath is influencing our weather again. Then the following few days will see condensation on cold-soaked surfaces. Humidity and cold in unventilated spaces are good for pretty much nothing. Although much reduced inside a van it still has an effect. Just a small heater may make a difference but whether it is worth the cost is maybe doubtful. Presently I am using the 3-pin plug inside the van which means having the van itself plugged in - maybe not a good thing for the leisure battery. I was interested in others experiences.
No problem for the Leisure battery.
If you want to cut down on electric usage, use a timer on the EHU , to switch on overnight at its coldest.

Ordered one of these. Thank you for the recommendation. If not used in the van then I am sure it will be useful for other domestic uses.

@HectorPascal Glad you found it helpful. We find ours useful for drying items which can’t go in the tumble dryer but would otherwise takes ages to try, eg. waterproof coats and soaking shoes, which dry overnight with the help of the dehumidifier in utility room.

I once owned a LWB 7 seater Series3 Land Rover, not renowned for being waterproof, and everytime the temperature dropped in winter the inside would be covered in condensation and driving it was like being in a mobile shower. I put 3 disposable humidifiers inside and it transformed the experience. The California is much better but will still produce condensate on windscreen, windows and body panels behind the plastic trim, maybe to a lesser extent, but the Dehumidifiers still collect a substantial amount of water, no obvious internal condensation when the temperature drops and so I will continue.
@WelshGas What kind of dehumififier do you use? Are we talking silica gel packages or something simple like that, or are we talking a 200 pound device as mentioned by @HectorPascal above

@WelshGas What kind of dehumififier do you use? Are we talking silica gel packages or something simple like that, or are we talking a 200 pound device as mentioned by @HectorPascal above
I use this type.

Instead of paying to keep it dry electronically save the money on elec bills and place an ad out to hire someone’s garage locally. £5 a week or something like that. Lock it down, put some of those crystal dehumidifiers in it, around it, charge it once a month, start it and move it every month jobs a good en.
That’s what I used to do with my MK2.

We use a probreeze dehumidifier (cost about £35 on amazon) in our 7m caravan. Needs emptied about 1 per week, but keeps any damp at bay through the winter. Do need to be hooked up though.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back