Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Overnighting guides/resources UK?

loaferm8

loaferm8

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Has anyone published a curated guide (or know of one) to the various online and print resources on UK overnight stops and sites, both free and payable?
I have seen a few sources online some of which require subscription - currency of info is obviously important!

Am particularly interested in handy free "wild" stopovers (for responsible short overnight stays leaving no trace) or places like pubs where they let you park for your custom or a modest charge if you just need a sleepover and are open in winter/spring unlike mainstream campsites. Any advice or pointers much appreciated!

Has anyone published a curated guide (or know of one) to the various online and print resources on UK overnight stops and sites, both free and payable?
I have seen a few sources online some of which require subscription - currency of info is obviously important!

Am particularly interested in handy free "wild" stopovers (for responsible short overnight stays leaving no trace) or places like pubs where they let you park for your custom or a modest charge if you just need a sleepover and are open in winter/spring unlike mainstream campsites. Any advice or pointers much appreciated!
For pubs etc, you could get the BritStops directory.

Park4night - UK and Europe .

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I agree with @4x4 joker above.
Go explore and if you find a good wild spot - keep it to yourself! Not intending to be a tw@t but camper van ‘wild-spots’ will be a distant memory unless we protect them.
Go and enjoy the remote areas while you can.

Just my view and not intended to cause offence to anyone.

Park4night has put the dreaded curse on most spots now.
Best thing to do is go out and explore, os app is great for that (walks) and you may find a hidden gem.
it does attract many to the same location. One day we might just have aires and campsites, depends how the landowners us the police bill rights. Many more aires springing up in the highlands, council doing a good job finally to encourage them.

CAMpRA seem to be making some headway in progressing more Aires but otherwise I echo all the advice above, find your own and keep it quiet.

Park4night has proved unreliable of late, my last effort at using it gave me a grand tour of newly erected "No overnight parking" signs. S4S is slightly more reliable.

So stealth parking.

Don’t use chocks.
Don’t run diesel heater/log burners during the day.
Only use internal blinds.
Be able to move at a mins notice (even middle of night).
Park up late, leave early, or at least remove blinds and all evidence you stayed the night.
The smaller the spot the better.
Don’t park where there’s a house near by.
If there’s a van parked up there already move on to somewhere else (it’s not a campsite).
The whole idea of it is to be out in nature by yourself.
Tourist carparks aren’t a good idea, if you do then park sensibly and be up with the sun.
Obviously leave no trace, or even better clear others rubbish.
Autumn/winter is the best time, and spots with no phone signal tend to be the good.
Respect all signs.
Only the one night is best.
Try and buy local and be friendly.
Only takes the locals to complain and there goes another spot.
Dont post location on internet.

Im not advising anyone to do it, YouTubers make it sound amazing but anything can happen and it isn’t all that.

Re pubs: regardless of whether they're in Britstops book etc, we've never yet been refused an overnight stop-over at one, simply by asking and explaining we want to book a table to eat and we'll then just use a small corner of the car park and be away early.

For general 'stealth stop-overs', @4x4 joker's comments are excellent, I agree with them all.

Nigel

So stealth parking.

Don’t use chocks.
Park up late, leave early, or at least remove blinds and all evidence you stayed the night.
If there’s a van parked up there already move on to somewhere else (it’s not a campsite).
Tourist carparks aren’t a good idea, if you do then park sensibly and be up with the sun.
Autumn/winter is the best time, and spots with no phone signal tend to be the good.
Respect all signs.

Im not advising anyone to do it, YouTubers make it sound amazing but anything can happen and it isn’t all that.
Last time we ‘stealth camped’ was in the mid-late 1970’s in our T2 van with no windows. Very different vehicle and very different times! Haven’t yet stealth camped in our 6.1 (which I guess is quite conspicuous) so your advice @4x4 joker is great. Thanks.

So stealth parking.

Don’t use chocks.
Respect all signs.

A very good guide.
Don't treat stealth spots as campsites. Make a point of talking to anyone that sees you, usually locals walking their dogs in my experience. It makes a big difference how you are perceived. Rather than an intrusion into their secret spot, you're probably find that they start asking you questions about your van.
Above all keep the location to yourself.

Many thanks excellent advice from so many contributors I think I'll largely stick to pub forecourts with their permission! One has to eat after all !

Reactions: Sad
Many thanks excellent advice from so many contributors I think I'll largely stick to pub forecourts with their permission! One has to eat after all !
I remember asking the permission to overnight at a very posh eatery pub in Sussex, which had a stunning view from its car park. Expecting to be refused, but going on the premise that "nothing ventured nothing gained", he said certainly. I've used this pub subsequently, so he's gained our trade as a result, and I've gained a very nice "secret" stopover.

Last edited:
Last time we ‘stealth camped’ was in the mid-late 1970’s in our T2 van with no windows. Very different vehicle and very different times! Haven’t yet stealth camped in our 6.1 (which I guess is quite conspicuous) so your advice @4x4 joker is great. Thanks.
Yes, our old van was a kombi Caddy maxi, could stealth anywhere. The cali is different, obviously a camper

Google maps, satellite view. Useful for finding stealth spots.

Back