Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Packing the Cali

John

John

VIP Member
Original post moonty

Hi all,

Been loving the enthusiasm for the Cali for sme time now on the FB board and now this. I'm pleased to say that my Cali is on order, and should take delivery in Nov/Dec. Went for a 180 4 Motion, and have reduced the effectiveness of the 4 Motion somewhat by spec'ing bi-colour Dakar alloys! As long as it looks good though eh...

It's safe to say my better half is still not entirely convinced, but she's willing to give it a go, and I know our 3.5 year old will love it.

My good lady is not however known to pack light, though I'm sure she'll be a quick learner. What tips does anyone have for packing for a weekend away - what goes where...?

Cheers,

Dave

Original post Ron

What colour / spec is your new Cali, Dave?
Did your dealer give you an allowance for the standard alloys against the bi-colour Dakar alloys?
Please post some pics of your new Cali when it arrives.
Looking forward to seeing the posts on this new topic as my good lady wife is exactly the same

Original post californiaman

Beers in the back, box of wine behind the passenger seat, hip flask of Jack Daniels in the cupboard under the sink

Original post moonty

Oct 25, 2011, 9:29pm, Ron wrote:
What colour / spec is your new Cali, Dave?
Did your dealer give you an allowance for the standard alloys against the bi-colour Dakar alloys?
Please post some pics of your new Cali when it arrives.
Looking forward to seeing the posts on this new topic as my good lady wife is exactly the same

It's silver, and spec, if I remember correctly is:

Privacy Glass
Parking Sensors
Awning
Climatronic
Cruise
DAB

You know, I didn't even give it a thought r.e. the wheels, and assumed this was already taken care of. Did get good discount off list though.

Dave

Original post Blakey

We have only had our Cali for one weekend but this is what we did:

1. Right kitchen cupboard for cooking utensils, pans, crockery, kettle and frequent food like tea/coffee/sugar.
2. Left kitchen cupboard for less frequent food, beer etc.
3. Wardrobe at the back for hanging clothes and coats.
4. Under seat drawer as main clothes drawer.
5. Rear overhead cupboard for wash bags and socks (etc!!)
6. Under the rear parcel shelf (the boot) for anything dirty our outdoors stuff including the electrical hook up cable, chocks etc.
7. On top of the rear parcel shelf for our duvets and pillows when not upstairs in the loft.

We haven't yet used the back cupboard in the boot for anything...

There are only 2 of us which certainly helps. No doubt YMMV as to what you put where.

Cheers!

Original post Calikev

Blakey. You've been peeping into my van haven't you
Yours is packed the same as mine great minds hey!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With you guys on storage.

Also keep all cups plates in large Tupperware cake box to keep clean/dry. We also keep small water container behind passenger seat for days out weekends rather then filling main water tank.

Back cupboards for beach and/or dog towels, kitchen roll, wet wipes ( very useful ) and carrier bags to be used as bin bags.

004.jpg

003.jpg

Original post Martin

If we are really stuck for space you can put a few odds and ends under the drivers seat as the plastic cover comes off very easy.

This is also a handy hiding place for when the safe is full.

Original post Calikev

keep the pack a macs under the driver seat,also the pop out screens live under there
Also I keep maps and things in the back of the front seats
And it's surprising how much you can fit in the door pockets

Original post freeley

Oct 25, 2011, 9:59pm, californiaman wrote: Beers in the back, box of wine behind the passenger seat, hip flask of Jack Daniels in the cupboard under the sink

I like your style!

Original post freeley

Oct 26, 2011, 7:52am, Blakey wrote: We have only had our Cali for one weekend but this is what we did:

1. Right kitchen cupboard for cooking utensils, pans, crockery, kettle and frequent food like tea/coffee/sugar.
2. Left kitchen cupboard for less frequent food, beer etc.
3. Wardrobe at the back for hanging clothes and coats.
4. Under seat drawer as main clothes drawer.
5. Rear overhead cupboard for wash bags and socks (etc!!)
6. Under the rear parcel shelf (the boot) for anything dirty our outdoors stuff including the electrical hook up cable, chocks etc.
7. On top of the rear parcel shelf for our duvets and pillows when not upstairs in the loft.

We haven't yet used the back cupboard in the boot for anything...

There are only 2 of us which certainly helps. No doubt YMMV as to what you put where.

Cheers!

We use the rear cupboard for dustpan&brush, flip flops for the showers (wouldn't have a shower without them!), night light/lantern, aerial leads, windscreen/front window blinds (with a couple of portable gas cans in the bag with them for our outside hob) and any other litle odds and sods we can cram in when the need arises.

Original post Blakey

Oct 26, 2011, 5:38pm, freeley wrote:
We use the rear cupboard for dustpan&brush, flip flops for the showers (wouldn't have a shower without them!), night light/lantern, aerial leads, windscreen/front window blinds (with a couple of portable gas cans in the bag with them for our outside hob) and any other litle odds and sods we can cram in when the need arises.

This is a good idea but you can't access any of that stuff without opening the tailgate. Do you find you're opening up the boot a lot?

Original post freeley

Yeah i'm always in there, our site neighbours must get fed up with me!
I find i can just about reach the top 2 shelves by reaching back from the back seat but it isn't easy.

Original post California180

We use the rear cupboard for all the dogz paraphernalia.....keeps it all in one place

Original post lickeyendblues

when we brought our van the previous owner had gone to town on Brandrup accessories he had all the pockets fitted and must say they are very handy.

We hardly use the rear cupboard as pain to get into so use overhead for small clothing and under seat for camping gear, leads etc.

Original post californiaman

We don't take a lot of different clothing. What we do try and do is take good clothing. Decent stuff that has high wikking factors etc, they dry much more quickly and don't get smelly so quickly.

We take lifeventure style travel towels. I don't know how anyone can survive without these!!

Original post andy

I have put non slip matting on all the shelves under the cooker & wrapped the cutlery in it as well, then put a towel on top in the drawer. This stops any rattles from cutlery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Non-Slip-Grippe ... d_sim_kh_2

Food is wedged into plastic baskets on the shelves with pots & kettle wedging them in.

I have the advantage of being the only one using my cali so I have plenty of space for all my junk !

:idea: Remember the golden rule of motor caravanning......if you don't use it for three camps, leave it at home ;)

A little Bump to the Top.
Does anyone have any other recommendations for packing?

Skywalker said:
A little Bump to the Top.
Does anyone have any other recommendations for packing?

Hi Luke

Just some thoughts and ideas I have had about packing the Cali.

Every trip will require different items so when packing be flexible and only take what you need. :?:

Also be flexible and pack for the drive to your destination in a efficient way. By this I mean use the loading space efficiently. You will be unpacking items into your tent or awning when you arrive at your destination. You can then move the other items to your preferred location for day trips, eating, and sleeping in your Cali. ;)

The Cali has been cleverly designed in that the rear bench seat has been designed with integral seat belts and can be moved forward to any position you like. This will increase the rear load space enormously. So being flexible with the rear bench seat and moving it forward for your journey to destination will give you so much more room to pack items. :thumb

Pack the heavy items on the floor and the light bulky items like bedding on the rear shelf.

Use plastic boxes to pack items as it will make the packing unpacking easier, you will be able to find things, and you can use the boxes in your awning or tent as a extra shelf. :grin:

I use the Wardrobe for coats and a small rucksack as it is easily accessible. Also I find a soft holdall type bag is ideal for keeping extra clothing and reading books as it can sit on top of the side units at night when the bed is made up. However do use one that does not have a bottom that will scratch the glass tops. :headwall

The overhead locker is ideal for your reading and cooking books, kindle, toilet bags, towels, socks etc when you are on site as it is easily accessible when the bed or table is made up. When travelling it is good for kids items like games DS or books etc. Also for your dogs bits like bowls and food. :clap

I always carry a small Water container with fresh water behind the passenger seat for Tea Coffee on our journey and Water for our Dogs. :D

Think about when you arrive on site what you need to unpack first and try to pack these items last in a location where you can get to them first on site. :thumb

Finally think about having access to the things you will need on your journey. There is nothing worse then having to take the bikes off the bike rack to open the tailgate to empty the boot to get to the tea bags at the bottom of a food box which is buried at the bottom of the rear of your Cali. :crazy

John

Back