Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Packing up in wet/damp conditions

A

Asprin

Older and wider
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Now the summer's over and the rains getting colder, what advice to any of you have for packing up on damp rainy days with regard to the roof and dampness?
Do you run round removing moisture with a towel before closing the roof or just pack everything away and get it all out/up on a fine day back home?

Now the summer's over and the rains getting colder, what advice to any of you have for packing up on damp rainy days with regard to the roof and dampness?
Do you run round removing moisture with a towel before closing the roof or just pack everything away and get it all out/up on a fine day back home?
Pack up and sort out at home, but then I have room at home to park on the drive and have the roof and/or awning out. This is where an External Topper can be useful for those who don't have such a facility.

I agree with WelshGas, In many cases your only option is to sort it out when you get home. However, I recently spent 2 weeks camping in the Asturias in almost constant rain, so our Kyham Awning got a thorough work out. I dried out much of the dampness from it awning by using clean microfiber cloths which absorb condensation and rain droplets brilliantly. They should also be ideal for helping to dry out the canvas on the pop top, support struts and edges of the roof before you drop it. I've also heard that the Karcher mini window cleaner vacuum does a fine job as it hoovers out the damp. I also use Decathlon dry bags to store muddy and wet groundsheets etc so that I can sort them out when I get home.

Hope this helps
ChrisB

I agree. Pack it away a sort it out at home.

On a similar note, that happened last weekend at the Cali meet in Stratford. Whilst the roof was down by the time it rained on the Sunday morning, the drive away awning wasn't. So I spread out a new tarp in the back and placed the bundled up wet awning on top. The problem now is that it's been raining ever since so I have been unable to put it up in the garden and dry it out. So it remains in a big snotty heap on our conservatory floor.

Thanks for all your comments, very helpfull. Never thought of using a Karcher, we have one of those. Nice one ChrisB. Alexa add ladder to shopping list.

The big blue ikea bags are great for chucking in wet/damp groundsheets, pup tents and the like, I always keep one in the back of the van. We use a 2-bedroom tent from Decathlon as a kitchen tent for longer trips, it got completely drenched when we went to The Lakes, I just rolled it up, threw it in the ikea bag and then chucked that in the back of the van for the drive home.

My bellows in the awning got a proper drenching one weekend away, I just popped the roof up when I got home ( a few days later when Mr. Sunshine finally reappeared...) and after about an hour it was all dry again. No smells, no mouldiness, just dry. Fabbo.

I agree. Pack it away a sort it out at home.

On a similar note, that happened last weekend at the Cali meet in Stratford. Whilst the roof was down by the time it rained on the Sunday morning, the drive away awning wasn't. So I spread out a new tarp in the back and placed the bundled up wet awning on top. The problem now is that it's been raining ever since so I have been unable to put it up in the garden and dry it out. So it remains in a big snotty heap on our conservatory floor.
Snotty? OMG!!

The big blue ikea bags are great for chucking in wet/damp groundsheets, pup tents and the like, I always keep one in the back of the van. We use a 2-bedroom tent from Decathlon as a kitchen tent for longer trips, it got completely drenched when we went to The Lakes, I just rolled it up, threw it in the ikea bag and then chucked that in the back of the van for the drive home.

My bellows in the awning got a proper drenching one weekend away, I just popped the roof up when I got home ( a few days later when Mr. Sunshine finally reappeared...) and after about an hour it was all dry again. No smells, no mouldiness, just dry. Fabbo.
Thanks Smiffy4bikes. We have lots of Ikea bags as we forget to take one with us when we go to IKEA.

Back