Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Bellows and awning when wet

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Is it necessary to dry the bellows (like when putting a tent away) before packing up? After a wet start today we had to leave with things still damp and as we have street parking not that easy to open the awning and roof at home.

Always better to let it dry out , but if it was not soaked i would not worry to much.
When you are parked up on the street at home you could lift the roof up a bit to dry and leave it that way while you are inside the house
One of the advantages of a topper , you take it off and when its wet you can dry it at home

I think you have helped me justify the topper. That and hoping it keeps the light our for an extra couple of hours sleep.

Does the awning need the same care?

I think you have helped me justify the topper. That and hoping it keeps the light our for an extra couple of hours sleep.

The awning is more or less plastified so less to worry altough it can create mold afther a while.
You need to clean you awning with some soapwater anyhow , standing under trees ,birdpoop ect....give stains

Last edited:

The Awning should be fine, but I would try and get it dried if you don't plan on using it over the winter months.
I'm not sure about the T6 roof bellows. Is it Canvas?
On the T5 it is canvas and should not be stowed away for prolonged periods if damp or wet. An external Topper will solve that problem.

Gone for an external topper for the same reason as I have parking under our flats at about 2.2 metres so on last night of any trips topper will be on if rain suspected. I can see us using it most of the time anyway due to the light as we hope to kip upstairs whenever possible.

Mike

Having owned and used many a tent both canvas and nylon etc it is important that they are packed dry as if damp or wet the will go mouldy. I have seen more than a few tents packed damp that have mouldy seems etc. Roof away dry and if in doubt air until. IMHO is doesn't matter what is made out of.

Hi All, what are these toppers you speak of???

The ones many of us have are made by Comfortz though other firms make them as well.
http://www.comfortzleisure.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=60_61 and are like a fitted waterproof tent that fits over the roof when it is elevated. They can either have windows in that line up with the windows in the bellows or not.
They keep the rain off the bellows, make the upstairs a bit darker which is good for sleeping. They also trap a bit of air around the bellows that can make the upstairs a bit warmer in the colder months of the year.

Arr i see thanks guys, so do they say on when you lower the roof all so?

Last edited:
Back