Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Paint bubbles on front roof panel

John

John

VIP Member
Original post Barry

Paint bubbling on the front portion of the roof (the panel that continues backward from the top of the windscreen) appears to be not uncommon on the Cali - and it is occurring on mine (a 57 plate 4Motion).

Before I go to the VW Van Man (I bought the Cali from them when it was nearly 3) I'd like feedback from anybody who has been through the process of taking this problem to VW (with a Cali out of the 3-year or extended warranty period). Feedback from the sponsors would be good too, guys.

I understand that there is some sort of 12-year paint warranty (against rust penetration from the back?) but have had several conflicting accounts of what this might be. Some from VW dealers ;-)

The roof panel in question is cast aluminium and I know that aluminium doesn't suffer the same rust problems as does steel, but its surfaces have their own set of problems at paint time and from what I have seen lurking on other forums, this can give rise to bubbling.

In the year I've had the van, we've done 15K miles summer/winter touring (it's our second car) and it;s been largely trouble-free (the previous owner had new bellows fitted and the earthing problem fixed). But I do think the paint bubbling on the front roof panel is a bit of a (known) pain.

Any feedback would be good … TIA Barry

Hi Barry and welcome to the forum.

I have sent Alex a PM to see if he can help.

Original post smgcowfold

I haven't dealt with an out of warranty paint claim on a California before. But, take it to a dealer, explain the problem and ask them to submit a paint warranty claim by using a DISS report (make sure that they can process paintwork warranty claims and can carry out the work). They will need a good photo of the area of the paint defects, a phot of the chassis number on the windscreen. Always best to make sure that the whole van is clean as well.

Good luck!

Original post Barry

Thanks,man - and for the speedy reply.
I'll do these things and let you know how I get on.
Barry

Hi Barry
Just wondering what the outcome of your paint problem was. I have just found 2 small areas in the panel you mention on my 58 plate. Do let me know how you got on
Thanks
John

Back