Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Paint top coat problems..

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just coming back from a walk and noticed that the rear bumper was looking a bit odd. On taking a closer look I saw that the lacquer top coat had started to discolour in places and in others started to actually peel. obviously we haven’t been using the van much the past year but wasn’t long ago that I gave it a wash and didn’t notice anything then...It’s out of warranty by a long way so don’t expect any help from VW..
My big worry is that it’s Red and a Merc SLK I bought which was red had the same problem and had to be resprayed “TWICE” .
Didn’t really need this to the start of 2021..

699AA086-D4DA-4F27-A626-83A2EF86047E.jpeg

BBE51070-0178-4904-9275-411EBCB95E9A.jpeg

0990369A-5600-4065-87DA-39EC20F09D65.jpeg

Has the bumper been repaired in the past?

Not a particularly big job to prep and respray.

Best to remove the bumper. Check out youtube or Haynes manual for method.

A job for warmer weather when it arrives.

Has the bumper been repaired in the past?

Not a particularly big job to prep and respray.

Best to remove the bumper. Check out youtube or Haynes manual for method.

A job for warmer weather when it arrives.
Never been repaired or resprayed. Did my apprenticeship in MBR so wouldn’t particularly have a problem doing it but it’s just a bit maddening it has had to happen again on a different vehicle..

Red cars don't like the sun too much, if you
keep it long enough you might end up with a Pink Cali :)

Although that looks like it could be stained with suncream from
your legs when accessing the boot.

Red cars don't like the sun too much, if you
keep it long enough you might end up with a Pink Cali :)

Although that looks like it could be stained with suncream from
your legs when accessing the boot.
If it is sun cream some great hacks on YouTube using a rubber (eraser) and orange peel. simple and does the job.

What? Suncream from my legs? The paint top coat is blistering all over the back bumper. Just been in contact with the Bodyshop manager Sinclairs VW Bodyshop who tells me that Salsa Red has some of the same ingredients to the paint Mercedes used in their Red cars and you only have to google that to know what happened there..Hopefully not all the panels were painted in the same factories and different tinters were used.

If there was no lock down a VW approved Bodyshop can easily measure the paint thickness to determine if it has been resprayed (absolute proof ) Generally VAG vehicles have excellent paint finish. I never saw a factory laquer peel from the top coat but plenty when a repaint had been done! Modern vehicles all use base coat with clear coat over and this means many of the old problems (uv bleaching and crazing) with some red colours are no longer seen. If you have owned since new possibly done before you picked it up. It is a pain in the rear ( bum bum) to repair properly as it can always peel in other places if not prep,d correctly.

The van was brand new when we bought it and ( certainly as far as I know) has never had a repair or any part resprayed apart from the roof under warranty.
My Mercedes had the dreaded micro blistering which Mercedes did a FULL back to metal respray costing them £5k. 10 months later the Exact same thing happened again..This time I told them I’d had enough and they bought the car back from me..Even to this day Mercedes have never disclosed the reasons this happened..They did at first say the tinter in the paint was faulty but changed their story as more and more people put claims in.

Not sure about Mercedes? but the bumper was not painted on the van and very likely to be just a bumper issue, plastic parts are painted separately from metal in the factory and unless your van is very old the technology for painting plastics in manufacturing is very advanced. After lock down get the paint thickness measured, the modern gauges can measure on plastic, aluminium, steel etc. My own view is Don’t get it bodged better to leave as is, at least it’s honest

Unfortunately brand new doesn’t guarantee it hasn’t been resprayed. Lots of damage done dockside or in transit is covered up. You’ll never know until something else happens. Discovered my last van had been re-sprayed on the rear quarter when it was checked with a paint guage for a totally unrelated warranty issue by the dealer. It was quite a surprise to be told and with no record at all of how or why it had been done. One of a number of reasons that I lost confidence in that particular van.

Last edited:
Not sure about Mercedes? but the bumper was not painted on the van and very likely to be just a bumper issue, plastic parts are painted separately from metal in the factory and unless your van is very old the technology for painting plastics in manufacturing is very advanced. After lock down get the paint thickness measured, the modern gauges can measure on plastic, aluminium, steel etc. My own view is Don’t get it bodged better to leave as is, at least it’s honest
My van is 5 years old. By the way VW body shops are open I did say I spoke to the manager today..Keeping it honest by letting the Lacquer top coat to peel off is not really me..I know the manager very well and he’s going to sort it for me..

Unfortuantely brand new doesn’t guarantee it hasn’t been resprayed. Lots of damage done dockside or in transit is covered up. You’ll never know until something else happens. Discovered my last van had been re-sprayed on the rear quarter when it was checked with a paint gauge for a totally unrelated warranty issue by the dealer. It was quite a surprise to be told and with no record at all of how or why it had been done. One of a number of reasons that I lost confidence in that particular van.
The only vehicles I have ever had problems with are of German manufacture. I’ve had Japanese, Uk made other European And with probably 20 new cars under my belt it’s only German vehicles I’ve had problems with..I’ve really now lost confidence in German vehicles.

My van is 5 years old. By the way VW body shops are open I did say I spoke to the manager today..Keeping it honest by letting the Lacquer top coat to peel off is not really me..I know the manager very well and he’s going to sort it for me..
Good for you. Not sure if you going out to get your bumper looked at is allowed under lockdown rules but let us no the eventual outcome of his inspection.

Good for you. Not sure if you going out to get your bumper looked at is allowed under lockdown rules but let us no the eventual outcome of his inspection.
Will be going for an MOT in the next couple of weeks so will get it looked at properly then.. Looks like the front bumper is going in the same direction.. lacquer is delaminating from that as well..Although it’s not supposed to happen it has...On both panels... Warranty is well out and I know VW well enough to know that I would be wasting my time..Even if it was a few months out I would have a fight on my hands but it’s 32 months out..so no hope.. Had another word with the Manager and he’s promised to help me..
We live in Sunny Wales so the theory of the sun cream doesn’t quite hold up..Especially after no holidays or trips in 2020.

Hey if it’s a manufacturer defect ask VW if they will help as a goodwill. These vans are a lot money and customers are loyal, worth a go?

Hey if it’s a manufacturer defect ask VW if they will help as a goodwill. These vans are a lot money and customers are loyal, worth a go?
That was my intention but the Manager told me that I would be absolutely wasting my time. Like I said before I have had experience with VW and even had a problem when my awning came apart while on holiday..At that time I was just a few months out of warranty and they said no no no. Yes.. I got 50% reduction..This time I am 3 years out of warranty so wouldn’t even bother .. Have you ever tried to get VW to give goodwill 3 years after the warranty runs out?
All paint problems are mainly down to manufacturers defect. Had the roof done but that is a documented fault which is nearly always repaired out of the 3 year warranty. But not really a paint problem more a design problem..If you haven’t had your roof repaired best take a look as I didn’t know until I removed the rubber..
All the big 3 German manufacturers have the same reply for goodwill. just after 3 years yes maybe. 6 years not a hope in hell...I had exactly the same with a New Mercedes I bought..

I'd put it down to wear and tear,
mine gets full wax 3 times a year and the paintwork
is like new.
I don't know the history of your van, so i'm not judging.

Ok after going all the way with VW CS, asking for some form of help or goodwill the answer is NO. Not surprised in the slightest. Will get it sorted at The VW body shop in the spring..At least it hopefully will stay on for a few more years.. Oh well I didn’t expect anything different really.