Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Peeling Exterior Trim Paint

N

Neilwil

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Anyone any experience of peeling paint on exterior plastic trim.
I have paint peeling from the painted protective door strip on the sliding side door. Am told it is not covered by warranty!
I could understand if it had been damaged, but even then if it had been properly prepared at the factory prior to painting, then the paint should not peel away around any damage.
I don't believe this has been damaged, but has started to peel away at the right angle on the trim.
I wold quite like an independant opinion, rather than VW trying to save themselves a few quid by rejecting it on the basis of reveiving the attached image!
...I also have a corroded fairing and raing roof which ahs just been approved for repair (took 3 months to get approval! May open a seperate thread on this.)
I have a 2013 Cali in Candy White.

Body Trim Paint Peel.jpg

Had this after I'd had the damage caused by the bodyshop when they were doing the roof repairs fixed.

They had to replace the side trim which meant the new trim was painted, it started to peel within 4 weeks.

Took two addition repairs to get it sorted.

To get it done properly, you need to remove the trim (potentially get new ones) or the paint doesn't go all the way round the rear and as such there is a vulnerable edge to the paint.

It may be that this was already repaired before you picked up the van, its not unusual to get small scrapes etc fixed prior to delivery.

Hope this helps.

Rgds
Mark

We have also had this on the same trim as you and also on the bumper, if you don't get it sorted it will spread.
Ours started off with a tiny 2mm bit flaking away and over the course of a month the 2mm turned into 12mm! We went to VW to try and get it done under warranty as our van is only two years old and they blamed it on stone chips. VW wanted to charge me £600 to have the work done but I ended up getting it smart repaired for £180.
I did try VWCS but their policy on anything like this is instant refusal, the same as alloy wheel damage.