Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parisian Parking

mrcheesbrough

mrcheesbrough

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hello all,

Pretty new to the forum and having spent most of my time skulking around reading various posts I thought I'd pick some brains.

We're planning a French trip in the summer and thought it might be nice to spend a day at the Eiffel Tower to break up the journey. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the joys of finding somewhere to park for a few hours in central Paris. I've found numerous underground parking options but only a few claim to accommodate vehicles of Californian dimensions. We'll also have a full bike rack. And a dog which means public transport is out of the question.

Has anyone found any regular car parking that might suit the task?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hello,
there are two surface parkings at the end of Champs de Mars, next to L Ecole Militaire (Military School), one on each end of the Ecole, next to Place Joffre. You can see them clearly on the google Earth, and you can see that campers bigger than California are photographed there by google (at least on one of them). You can see on google also that 24h costs 29 Euros (on the blue panel), which I still much cheaper than any hotel in the City. Problem might be availability of the place, especially in high season. Expect some waiting to get in.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Andrzej

Andresz said:
Expect some waiting to get in.

I'd read this about the parking in Paris. The price you pay to visit such an interesting and scenic place. Thanks for your recommendations I think I'll do some further investigations with the power of Google Maps.

Cheers
Philip.

Hello,
It is possible too to park around the Panthéon, parking in surface, or yet the long of the Esplanade des Invalides, between the Hotel des Invalides and the Alexandre 3 bridge, there are large green spaces. The Eiffel Tower is close (take the Saint Dominique Street, restaurants, tipical street...).
In July and August, maybe mainly in August, the town is more quiet that the rest of the year : Parisians are gone in vacation.
Regards
Tibo

A few years back I parked right alongside the Seine River by the Eiffel Tower. Can't remember the cost - don't remember being badly shocked - and it was open air parking so no height problem. A quick look on google maps shows cars parked there recently.

This is all useful stuff. Thanks to all who have replied so far. It's sounding like a lot less daunting than the internet makes it out to be. I'm sure it'll be busy with traffic - I doubt there are any cities worth a visit that aren't. We've aircon and a kettle so even the most tedious journey can be made on our terms.

cullengr said:
I'm not that sure I would want to leave any vehicle parked in Paris.

Ha. That's brilliant. Mind you if those flimsy French autos can handle some gentle buffeting every now and then I reckon our robustly engineered German machines could cope with a little over zealous Parisian style parking manoeuvres.

I think I'll be looking at parking somewhere with marked bays rather than parallel parking. Looks like I'll have plenty to choose from too if Google Street view is to be trusted.

Cheers.

just been to paris, but without the van. whilst on the eiffel tower looked out on some quite roads around the park there where some mobile homes were parked, very close to the tower. Look like a free overnight stay so made a mental note to explore if there with the van. I nice place to park up too.

cullengr said:
I'm not that sure I would want to leave any vehicle parked in Paris

http://youtu.be/n51OdFlOi1o

That is exactly why I have installed the thing from the picture below.
Moreover it acts simultaneously as rear sensor and automatically increases distance of the car driving behind by average of 2 meters. :upsidedown

image.php