Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Park Pilot operation

Devaprem

Devaprem

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello. I have a small problem with the Park Pilot system: if I drive off and then approach a parking bay after a period of driving, the park pilot does not come on and so doesn't warn me of obstacles that I'm moving towards when manoeuvring slowly into a parking place. However, I can get Park Pilot to work in that situation by putting the vehicle into reverse and then into drive again. It originally worked fine without having to 'enable it' so I am curious as to what's happened. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and whether it has been fixed.

Don't know about your specific T6, but they have never come on automatically on my T5.1, or on my dad's T6 Multivan. You really don't need to put your van in reverse, just press the "P" button and the parking system will come on.
t6 dashboard.jpg

Hope this sorts you out?

Thank you! I sometimes miss the obvious :)

Hello. I have a small problem with the Park Pilot system: if I drive off and then approach a parking bay after a period of driving, the park pilot does not come on and so doesn't warn me of obstacles that I'm moving towards when manoeuvring slowly into a parking place. However, I can get Park Pilot to work in that situation by putting the vehicle into reverse and then into drive again. It originally worked fine without having to 'enable it' so I am curious as to what's happened. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and whether it has been fixed.
They don’t come on automatically as it would drive you mad in slow moving traffic.

According to the manual for my 6.1 the parking distance control will come on automatically if the sensors encounter an object ahead and vehicle speed is less than 9mph. This automatic activation feature can be turned on an off in settings.

Mine does very occasionally come on in traffic.. Also, I live on a very narrow, very bumpy lane and the sensors activate multiple times in 100m as I drive up or down. The P button has a noticeable sheen on it from being pressed so much. But I fear that the day I turn off automatic activation will be the day I drive into a bollard.

I avoid like the plague. Not because they would not be useful, but because they are always so complex with an engineer led design to use and it ends up quicker to just do it yourself - especially parallel parking.

I've owned my T6.1 for nearly three years and I've never once used PP. TBH it scares the jeepers out of me!

Maybe I should try it.

I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for what is described in my 6.1 manual as Park Distance Control. Note the OP's profile indicates a T6 150 which predates the electromechanical steering system required for the Park assist system.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. I will test the operation of the forward parking sensors with the console button on. It is also going in for its annual service and MOT in a few days and the engineer will check the operation of this as well.

Hello. I have an update on the ParkPilot system in my Cali - I can turn it on on the dashboard (thanks again, TripleBee!). I had turned it on before and thought it remained on but discovered it goes off if moving at more than 10mph. Also, I am fairly sure it would come back on at the front automatically when dropping below that speed threshold. I had a VW dealer fit a towbar some time ago and am wondering if something in the reprogramming has caused this to change. The vehicle is booked in to another VW dealer for a service and I will ask them to check this. In the meantime, if anyone with a T6 has their front park pilot come on automatically below 10 mph, please let me know. This will be useful information for when I go to VW on Tuesday. Thanks in advance :)

Back