Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking Heater retrofit

Neilos

Neilos

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi folks, I’m thinking of fitting a parking heater to our 68 plate beach. Anyone on here with advice to share?

I’ve read the posts, and both planar Pete is well regarded as are Slidepods. I know Slidepods are not keen on doing the as OEM install which requires the hole cut in the B bracing near the seat belt.

I’ve never had a diesel heater, are they noisy/smelly? Can you actually use them on a campsite which seem to be busier and busier these days? We mostly camp on proper sites with young kids on board, but I’m planning more solo trips or with biking mates.

Thanks all!

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try reading this thread on the T6 forum, I think it covers most of your fitting queries.
https://www.t6forum.com/threads/fitting-the-oem-auxillary-heating-ductwork.5968/

As for the noise and smell question, these heaters are at their noisiest and produce some smell when they start up, the OEM exhaust is under the centre of the van and points towards the vehicle exhaust so not obvious to anyone outside.
I would suggest a mid to upper spec modulator (controller) that will offer thermostatic control of the heating especially with the external temperature sensor (external from the heater, integral with the controller) plus maybe timer settings and remote control.
OEM controls will only work with heaters equipped with specific VW versions of heater ECU.

I've fitted a number of Eberspacher heaters to my own T5s & T6 although never fitted the 'B' pillar outlet. Would never be without one in a T5 or T6.

Hi folks, I’m thinking of fitting a parking heater to our 68 plate beach. Anyone on here with advice to share?

I’ve read the posts, and both planar Pete is well regarded as are Slidepods. I know Slidepods are not keen on doing the as OEM install which requires the hole cut in the B bracing near the seat belt.

I’ve never had a diesel heater, are they noisy/smelly? Can you actually use them on a campsite which seem to be busier and busier these days? We mostly camp on proper sites with young kids on board, but I’m planning more solo trips or with biking mates.

Thanks all!

N.

When new a slight smell of diesel that disappears when upto temperature. Best to run them constantly and vary the temperature than constantly switching On and Off.They use a lot of electrical power on start up. They automatically adjust to maintain the set temperature . Never found it a problem on campsites and have run it for days on end turning temperature down if out and back up on return.
It can be run whilst travelling and a tip to conserve electric power is to start it when arriving at campsite whilst registering so the power used for startup is replaced when driving to pitch .
The makers normally suggest to run them monthly, upto temperature, to prolong life. There is no real servicing requirement and they are very robust, but avoid deep fords/water.

Noise wise, like a quiet jet engine on startup as the fan speeds up. Louder in the vehicle than outside but soon quiets down and there is often a regular tick from the fuel pump, frequent on start up or when temperature raised but soon goes back to barely noticeable.

Noisy - No

Smelly - No (no more than a paraffin heater at worst during start up phase) no discernible diesel smell etc. the smell is more of a hot smell & is only very slight.
The slight initial smell can only be detected very close to the van.

use them On a campsite - No problem at all, that’s what they are designed for.

I think this might depend on how sensitive you are to smells & noise. I'm exceptionally sensitive & thought my T6's heater was both very smelly & noisy. Sounds like a jet engine on starting, does quiet down tho.

I miss it tho!

Planar Pete fitted one for me a few weeks back. Install was superb (oem grills etc.) and I can turn it on via my phone which was handy over Xmas before I got back from the beach. As @WelshGas says - I have left it on 24-7 when camping on the lowest setting with the windows open for some fresh air. There’s no smell inside whatsoever and outside a little on startup but far less than the van would kick out on tickover. As for noise there’s some fan noise inside but it’s like white noise and I find it perfect for sleeping. Outside noise is minimal more than a few metres away. It’s a game changer for winter camping and enables you to get more bang for your buck invested in the camper.

Thanks for the responses all, that’s helpful.

What location does the heater unit go in? does it go under the van in the beach? or under the drivers seat?

Just got back from a long weekend in the Brecon’s. -5 on Friday night, but super comfortable with the night heater…wouldn’t be without it. OEM retro-fit by PPete.

It has an exhaust so must be fitted outside the van.
Yes it does have an exhaust but lots of installers fir the heater under the right front seat with the diesel feed, exhaust and combustion air intake in a 'turret' which fits through the floor. It looks like this, it's pictured up side down.
Eberspacher_Airtronic_D2L_Mountining-plate-2_nfy0-me.jpg

Personally I prefer them to be fitted under the floor in the OEM position.

Various complete fitting kits are available here.

It has an exhaust so must be fitted outside the van.
It is a recognised fitting within the van under seat but the combustion air inlet and exhaust go through the floor pan to the exterior , but not OEM.

I've just posted for sale 'new original VW heater fitting kit components' in accessories at 2016 prices. I had T5.1 without heater at the time and bought a T6 Beach with heater in 2017, so it didn't get used.

Even in the middle of summer in NZ the heater gets used on cold nights in the mountains - an essential upgrade for us.

The item posted above by rod_vw comes in the Eberspaecher heater kit and I think is for internal fitting under the seat. The VW kit is for external underfloor fitting and is superior; personally I would rather not have a diesel heater inside the van.

Andy

I have an Ocean with the original diesel heater and as for smells or noise I wouldn’t give it a second thought. I love mine and if I switch to a Beach in future that didn’t have one I would defo do it. It extends your camping season into Spring and Autumn where we had some lovely trips.

In mid-Jan we stayed at a campsite with trampers (hikers) doing the Te Araroa trail (https://www.teararoa.org.nz/) . They were in flimsy tents and bivouacs within a few metres of us, and I didn't think it fair to run the heater due to the noise and the smell.

Some local didn't have the same consideration and let off a couple of fireworks and were shooting rabbits at 3.00 am. :rage

Andy

Back