ThomasHJ

ThomasHJ

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
broken.jpeg

Sadly enough, someone chose the 24th to smash in two windows of our Cali and steal the only thing that was in the van; the kids' christmas presents.

Kind of messed up the holidays, as we were abroad with 2 small kids on our way to visit family for christmas. Right now I'm in the middle of dealing with insurance and repairs. Understandably not everyone is easy to reach during these days. Luckily repairs are planned for tomorrow, but the insurance made us go to a local glass repair company here in NL, where I would have preferred going to my go to official dealer; VW Camper Centre.

Thing is, the glass repair guy keeps calling me to measure the windows and take photos and what not. Where I assume he could just take the info of my cali (license plate, model, build year, etc) and feed that into software to know which windows are needed. I asked him but he tells me he needs the measurements and photos because otherwise volkswagen cant tell him which windows he needs. This scares me. Doesn't sound logical. If my photo's and measuring is what is needed to find the right windows, I doubt it'll go well. Thing is, he might be able to fix it tomorrow and we leave for holidays the day after tomorrow. So he's my only chance to get the van fixxed in time.

So, to make a long story short... can I find the part numbers for the windows for my 2011 VW T5 California somewhere, so that at least I can check if he will use the right windows when I bring the cali to him tomorrow? I tried this website: https://www.lllparts.co.uk/groups/145886 but cant find any part numbers for windows. Wouldnt want him to mess it up and try (or succeed) to place the wrong windows.

Last edited:
@calikev might be able to help but I'm not sure if there's enough time. Sorry about you van.

Rear

Sliding door

Or

@WelshGas thanks for this.

Is there any way to know which part(number) would be the correct one? The list in the screenshot below seems to list several 'complete sliding windows'. Some mention green or tinted, but some dont and are in the list ultiple times with different part numbers. (we have a LHD btw if that changes anything)

1703790959179.png

@WelshGas thanks for this.

Is there any way to know which part(number) would be the correct one? The list in the screenshot below seems to list several 'complete sliding windows'. Some mention green or tinted, but some dont and are in the list ultiple times with different part numbers. (we have a LHD btw if that changes anything)

View attachment 117610
I'm afraid I can't help you there. Is there not a Part Number on any of the windows, broken or not that might help?
I'm not with the van at the moment so can't go and look.

The only way you will know is searching the database with the vin number this will bring up the ones fitted to your van

I'm afraid I can't help you there. Is there not a Part Number on any of the windows, broken or not that might help?
I'm not with the van at the moment so can't go and look.
not enough left I'm afraid.

The only way you will know is searching the database with the vin number this will bring up the ones fitted to your van
@calikev. Thanks for your reply. In which database would I need to enther the VIN? And I am assuming the VIN is the number that's somewhere near the front windshield?

I would be tempted to postpone fitment until I could confirm the actual part numbers. The VW dealership should be able to give you the relevant numbers for your VIN. If the installer doesn't have access to such a database I would not be letting them loose on my vehicle.

There's a record at VW of every part number used to assemble your vehicle.

I didn't know it was accessible in Erwin. I think calikev, if he's at work, can access this database. You need to obtain your vin and pm it to calikev and ask very nicely.

@calikev. Thanks for your reply. In which database would I need to enther the VIN? And I am assuming the VIN is the number that's somewhere near the front windshield?
right hand side of the windscreen (bottom) when facing the front of the van .

there is a build schedule attached to the steering column cover (stick your head into the drivers footwell and look up ,)
additional build label located in your owners manual (inside front cover)

a dealer will be able to access your full build details from your Vin

suppliers like LLL parts Etc will also be able to advise correct part numbers etc specifically for your vehicle

Just to let you guys know how this situation continued, and perhaps as advice for (NL-) Cali-owners:

Calikev was very kind and supplied me with the right part numbers. Which gave me some confidence that things might turn out right. Went to the window repair guy on friday morning after I first posted here. When he had a look at the van he said: 'Ai, that's isolated glass' isnt it? I said: "yes, like I told you over the phone".

Turns out he ordered the wrong windows. Just like I feared he would. He figured he could get the right windows that afternoon. He couldn't. I contacted my insurance and told them about it. They let me go to another window repair company. This copany however stated quite clear and frank that they had no real way of knowing what windows they'd need and even if they did, they probably wouldn't be able to order them. Advised me to go to VW. So I contacted my insurer again and they finally allowed me to go to VW Camper Centre. Which I did. brought the van there today. They have a full schedule though, so they've told me it might take weeks. Which is inconvenient, seeing how it's our only vehicle. BUt at least now the Cali will eb taken care off properly.

So, as a warning to (at least Dutch owners), if you get any window damage, make it clear right away to your insurer that just any regular window repair shop won't do and you'll be needing VW.

Back