Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side opening windows

Thelovewalrus

Thelovewalrus

I
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Is it possible to order a T6 without the small opening side windows fitted in the middle? I've had issues with these small windows leaking cover falling off, trouble closing after opening etc on my current 2006 T5. I now don't open them so I guess won't miss them on a new T6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The sliding window above the kitchen unit is standard , the one in the sliding door is an option .
If you wish no sliding window at all i think you need to talk to your dealer but don't think he can change the factory fittings...
Only possibel solution think would be change it afther delivery.

But actually can't see why , that sliding window is pretty handy .

Think overall you don't hear to much trouble on it , at least not on this forum

I would choose not to have them. I have had one replaced due to leaking badly and the replacement is just as bad!

I would choose not to have them. I have had one replaced due to leaking badly and the replacement is just as bad!
Agree with the possible leakage but seen the low figures on actually leaking i can not see why i would not want one in my T6 ....IF i was ordering ....;)
I personal like it in combination with the flyscreen.

t
Is it possible to order a T6 without the small opening side windows fitted in the middle? I've had issues with these small windows leaking cover falling off, trouble closing after opening etc on my current 2006 T5. I now don't open them so I guess won't miss them on a new T6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There may be Manufacturers design liability issues re ventilation and keeping their customers alive, lol, the side windows provide ventilation in an enclosed space with an oxygen depleting gas hob. I suspect if the supplied sliding side window delicate flexible gaskets could be easily cleaned of a 'moss' type build up then leaks could be banished ..

Rgrds,

Rob H.

Where would you route your TV aerial cable if you didn't have the sliding windows!!

Are you sure , it is option in my country...
100% sure HC. I chose the fewest extra's I could (3 in total!) and this was not one of them. I have 2 sliding windows. I have no idea if that is country specific, or model specific.

From my experience and conversations on the other forum, the window is the same but the leak less visible on the Cali, unless like mine it soaks your under sink cupboard!

On the Ocean you get both windows, but on the Coast and Beach I think you only get one. There is/was an option for the second windows though
I got T6 ocean since end of februari 2016 and only 1 sliding window , the second one in the sliding door was an option . If you have 2 sliding windows you don't have double glazing in the sliding door !?

ALL T5 / T6 single glazed sliding windows leak! Even VW admit that they haven't fixed them.
I've had three T5s, all have had leaking windows, all have been back under warranty to be fixed, I've lost count of how many have been changed all to no avail. Those of you with plastic trim on the sliding door and side panel may not always see the leak but unless you have sealed the windows completely I bet they leak to some degree.
The common problem is that the drain holes in the lower runner is not correctly connected to its matching part that channels the water to the outside of the vehicle. There are two holes on each window runner, one is not visible without dismantling. VW claim to have changed the design a number of times, as far as I know I now have the latest version fitted and it still leaks!

Rod

Having just fixed a leaking side window I thought others might find my solution helpful.

I recently bought a Cali and discovered that the sliding window above the kitchen was leaking, a lot.

My vehicle is out of warranty so getting it fixed (albeit temporarily) for free was not an option. After trawling the forums I came to the conclusion it was a 2 fold issue:

1) There is a tiny amount of play at the front end of the sliding window meaning that the rubber seal doesn't seal properly against the glass. In theory this shouldn't be an issue as there is a drainage channel with 2 drain holes on the inside of the window.

2). The drain holes leak into the van. Using a syringe I injected water into each of the drain holes. The front one was fine and all of the water came out at the bottom of the window outside. Not so the rear drain hole (middle of window, obscured from view) some water went out and some went into the van.

You either fix 1 or 2, I decided taking the cupboards and/or window out to fix 2 was not going to happen. My plan was to improve the seal on the window.

Steps:

1) Buy some 10mm*2mm self-adhesive closed cell foam tape (10m roll on ebay £3.50). This is also great for fixing rattles etc inside the van, e.g. the cooker lid.

2) Pop the window out of its runners using trim removal tools (£10, I already had these). The window is held in by 4 metal pegs, I think I just popped the bottom two out. Take care not to mark the interior trim, I put some plastic cut from a milk carton in between the metal pegs and the interior trim. Then I pulled the window into the van slightly so that I could access all of the glass where the seal on the sliding window touches the glass. Starting from the top middle I applied a single continuous strip of the tape (to the glass!). The tricky bit is doing the rear vertical edge as the seal is inset by 10mm or so, on the other 3 edges the rubber seal meets at the edge of the window opening and it's very easy to apply. Then, using a scapel, I trimmed the bits of tape that stood proud (top & bottom of window), done.

It's been on two weeks now, and last week it rained loads here in Mid-Wales, dry cupboards - woo hoo.

My solution is cheap, easy, effective, completely unobtrusive and allows normal use of the windows.

Enjoy dry cupboards!

@FellRunner you have summed up the problem in one (well two actually) and I don't blame you for not wanting to dismantle the furniture to get to the lower part of the window.
Your solution sounds good to me, it's just a pity VW didn't make the effort to fix the manufacturing faults on the drainage system.
I have a new T6 which I am converting, before I fit the furniture I must have a serious look at the drains to see if repairs are necessary there.

Rod

Great to see a DIY solution.
I had my second warranty window replacement in November and touch wood this one seems watertight. Looking at the rubber seal on this one. It looks a bit wider than on the previous leaky ones. It will be interesting to see if any of the new breed of T6 owners suffer leaks!

2) Pop the window out of its runners using trim removal tools (£10, I already had these). The window is held in by 4 metal pegs,
Enjoy dry cupboards!

Very impressive and a lot of credit to you for sharing this!!!

Did I get you right: It is possible to remove the sliding window without removing the furniture?

I have had issues with the rubber seal fitted to the sliding window. The seal split/ divided it self/ ruptured in the top. The seal was not possible to buy from vw, only complete window. I bought a new window on eBay. Didn't manage to swap the windows, couldn't get the old window out without removing all furniture. But did found out that the seal was possible to remove quite easy, and therefor only swapped the seal. Problem solved :)

But I would really want to know if it is possible to remove the sliding window without dismantle all furniture?

Very impressive and a lot of credit to you for sharing this!!!

Did I get you right: It is possible to remove the sliding window without removing the furniture?

I have had issues with the rubber seal fitted to the sliding window. The seal split/ divided it self/ ruptured in the top. The seal was not possible to buy from vw, only complete window. I bought a new window on eBay. Didn't manage to swap the windows, couldn't get the old window out without removing all furniture. But did found out that the seal was possible to remove quite easy, and therefor only swapped the seal. Problem solved :)

But I would really want to know if it is possible to remove the sliding window without dismantle all furniture?
If you have the whole window replaced by a professional windscreen company they do it without removing the kitchen unit. They use a length of wire to cut through the rubber sealant from the outside of the van. The sliding section can be removed - there's a video on YouTube showing the technique.
If you do fit a new complete window, check that the two drain holes are working properly before fitting.

Back