Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Paying French tolls

timhutch said:
Do you use the Lorry lanes then? The tag lanes towards the left are too low......

Yes use lorry lanes.
If the ticket emmerges on the higher slot, just push the button on the lower slot, no need to climb there.

Amazing French efficiency - found the Sanef UK website and five minutes later I have a tag heading my way, with a direct debit agreement filed. No deposit, no hassle. Totally unlike the Dartford crossing Tag procedure.

One cautionary note for SANEF. They are linked to speed enforcement process so don't trigger any cameras.

A friend of mine came back through France from Italy in an unseemly hurry and found that his fines were included in his SANEF bill. Bit of a shock for him :eek:

Also on the issue of Euro Debit Cards I use Caxton. Works fine in the North of France but for some reason when you get near to Lyon and the Alps it doesn't. Very confusing. :?

Harrythecat said:
One cautionary note for SANEF. They are linked to speed enforcement process so don't trigger any cameras.

A friend of mine came back through France from Italy in an unseemly hurry and found that his fines were included in his SANEF bill. Bit of a shock for him :eek:

I'm sure this isnt true, as there is no agreement between France and the uk for speeding fines. Do you have evidence of this? It's been an urban myth for years that the roll booths clock your speed, but its simply not true.

I do stand to be corrected though! But I always cruise along at 85-90 when I'm out there unless I'm towing, and never had an issue from Sanef or going through the tolls. I have been gunned by a police radar and paid the 80€ fine..... :shocked

[/quote]

I'm sure this isnt true, as there is no agreement between France and the uk for speeding fines. Do you have evidence of this? It's been an urban myth for years that the roll booths clock your speed, but its simply not true.

I do stand to be corrected though! But I always cruise along at 85-90 when I'm out there unless I'm towing, and never had an issue from Sanef or going through the tolls. I have been gunned by a police radar and paid the 80€ fine..... :shocked[/quote]

I am no expert on this but I do have the word of a friend who moaned long and loud about the hole in his wallet. I have no reason to disbelieve him.

In terms of speeding fines and Europe my understanding is that the 'Schengen' agreement covers this and it is agreed in principle. What is not in place is the mechanism to deliver the agreement.

However that does not necessarily stop SANEF under it's T and C's recovering the fines?

Police used to stop trucks & check time on toll tickets & 'fine' you for speeding on time & distance !

I think there is a an agreement where by you can get points on your licence whilst driving in europe.

They Cant enforce a fine or ban once you are out the country, they have to stop you there and then, whilst you are still in France. I got flashed twice 3 weeks ago........ :D

Back