Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Payment issues at dealership

M

Moon Madness

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Just a heads up for anyone who might be in the process of nearly collecting their new vehicle. I was lucky enough to be able to take delivery of my new Ocean yesterday but not without issue. I was looking to pay from a Santander account, I checked with them last week to see if I could put the payment on card, yes, was the answer, no problem, I might get a standard security phone call. Fast forward to yesterday and of course payment declined. Contacted Santander chat facility, ‘split the bill into 2 smaller payments and try again‘. Declined. Even though I had also responded to a text to agree card use. This happened 5 times before I managed to get hold of their security department about a possible locked card now. Of course that was an automated phone line and took 15 minutes to get through, all this time I was sat in front of the salesman. It ended up with Santander security having to do a direct transfer for half, having had half approved, because they put daily limits on card spends. This not mentioned at all last week when I contacted them and figures were discussed. So be aware, even after checking, if paying using Santander it could get messy! It took me 60 minutes ultimately for a 2 minute process. The dealer was SMG Tonbridge and were very understanding at all times and said this was not the first time a Santander account payment had proved troublesome. Good news was in the end I got my Ocean ‘Gloria Estevan’ and loving it thus far.

Pleased you got it sorted and welcome to Gloria EsteVAN (love it!)

Just a heads up for anyone who might be in the process of nearly collecting their new vehicle. I was lucky enough to be able to take delivery of my new Ocean yesterday but not without issue. I was looking to pay from a Santander account, I checked with them last week to see if I could put the payment on card, yes, was the answer, no problem, I might get a standard security phone call. Fast forward to yesterday and of course payment declined. Contacted Santander chat facility, ‘split the bill into 2 smaller payments and try again‘. Declined. Even though I had also responded to a text to agree card use. This happened 5 times before I managed to get hold of their security department about a possible locked card now. Of course that was an automated phone line and took 15 minutes to get through, all this time I was sat in front of the salesman. It ended up with Santander security having to do a direct transfer for half, having had half approved, because they put daily limits on card spends. This not mentioned at all last week when I contacted them and figures were discussed. So be aware, even after checking, if paying using Santander it could get messy! It took me 60 minutes ultimately for a 2 minute process. The dealer was SMG Tonbridge and were very understanding at all times and said this was not the first time a Santander account payment had proved troublesome. Good news was in the end I got my Ocean ‘Gloria Estevan’ and loving it thus far.
Before collecting my van I asked HSBC about making full payment on the day I was going to collect my van. They said it wouldn’t be a problem but I wouldn’t need to visit my branch ahead of the due date to set up a CHAPS payment. So off I went to my the Aylesbury branch who said that it would be a problem to setup ahead of time but that I could visit a branch on the day of collection to arrange!? This would have meant me finding the Crawley branch and hoping that they would sort it. By now I had little confidence so I took a deep breath and made several very large payments to Eurovans in the days ahead of collection. It left me feeling exposed and an unnecessary risk. HSBC were very unhelpful. :-(

Santander 0 HSBC 2. I spoke to HSBC prior to paying for our van in 2012 and 2016 paid in full via debit card no issue.

Santander 0 HSBC 2. I spoke to HSBC prior to paying for our van in 2012 and 2016 paid in full via debit card no issue.
HSBC - Yes, I paid for a new Mercedes in full on the day in 2014 with no trouble, but in 2020 they made it difficult. Maybe I just spoke to the wrong ‘advisor’ this time?

Strangely due paying mine next week, if it lands, RBS no problem making bank transfer., up to 20k each day

We've had the same problem with Santander this year with a bank transfer. It finally lead to our account being locked, and it being referred to the Fraud Department. We were told the account would be locked for 48 hours. Finally we managed to get Fred in the back office to sort it, and the payment went through. It was a very stressful nightmare.

Yesterday using Santander and Nationwide debit cards to make a similar payments, they went straight through with no hassle. No security checks, no otp's

Strangely due paying mine next week, if it lands, RBS no problem making bank transfer., up to 20k each day
I hope all goes well, it did add stress to the day but still a massive smile when I got to take the vehicle home.

Yes, no problem with £25k per day with HSBC but not >£60k in one hit. My risk (albeit small) was that Eurovans went bust after i’d paid but before I had my van.

I had to do 3 transfers over 3 days before picking up our 6.1 Friday Saturday and Monday pick up day ....
All went well,
the calis I bought new in previous times was just a one off card payment with a security check

I had to do 3 transfers over 3 days before picking up our 6.1 Friday Saturday and Monday pick up day ....
All went well,
the calis I bought new in previous times was just a one off card payment with a security check
Just what I did, but it felt a little uncomfortable in these uncertain times.

You're not the only one. This chap had issues as well:

I can't say I've ever experienced these issues. I've always banked with Lloyds and have bought numerous new vehicles over the years including three brand new Calis from SMG. Leaving aside the deposit, I've nearly always paid the balance due with my debit card after first telling the bank about the forthcoming purchase. It should be dead easy and that's been my experience. If memory serves only once did I receive a security call and that was yonks ago. Have things changed in the last twelve months or does it depend on the bank involved?

Last edited:
I’m not sure if things have changed but this last time with swansway vw they could only accept limited 25k payments.
Listers year’s ago I payed by debit card with a call to confirm it was me making the payment

2000-4 when I was living in South Korea it was not unusual for a guy to turn up with a case of cash to buy a $ 100,000 truck, that’s a lot of Korean Won, 100,000,000

I paid the balance on my California from my Santander account by bank transfer. I transferred a smaller amount to make sure the payment went through to the dealers account. After confirmation, I then made a second payment for the balance which instantly failed. The failure notice instructed me to phone Santander who then authorised and resent the payment themselves from my account. This went straight through with no issues. It was easy enough to sort out with one phone call from home before going to the dealers to collect the van.

I paid for mine via Hsbc current account. Called them the day before to say how much it was. They said no problem and asked me to call them on the day when I wanted to pay so they could authorise the transaction there and then. Computer crashed so took 10 mins instead of 2 mins but no big deal. Customer services representative was excellent and HSBC sent us a bottle of champagne to have on our first trip! Good experience all round

Crikey this must have been so embarrassing ..any paid via a Nat West account ?

I paid for mine via Hsbc current account. Called them the day before to say how much it was. They said no problem and asked me to call them on the day when I wanted to pay so they could authorise the transaction there and then. Computer crashed so took 10 mins instead of 2 mins but no big deal. Customer services representative was excellent and HSBC sent us a bottle of champagne to have on our first trip! Good experience all round
I obviously got bad advice from my local HSBC Branch :-(

surely it’s better for the bank to question any very large payments than for you to find out the hard way with someone draining your account. I know I would sooner be in the dealers for a few hours and be safe.

Its quite easy to reclaim a transaction with German banks.

You have to have a good reason and it can be done up to 8weeks
after it was made. I was quite shocked to be told in the UK that once
i have sent the money to an account that was it, no getting it back, so double
check the details, WTF.

Back