Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Persistent Airbag warning light

Dave_T

Dave_T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just wondering if this is a common fault...

Has anyone had issues with the airbag warning light? We've had about 5-8 (I've lost count!) occurrences where the airbag warning light has come on. it then been tKen back to the garage to be fixed, and it's ok for a while. Normally about 1-3 months later, the light will come back on. I think they've tried various things to fix it, but so far nothing has worked. Any ideas?

Cheers
Dave

Sounds like you have an intermittent fault within the airbag system triggering a dashboard airbag fault warning message, difficult for the garage to trace if intermittent, once triggered the fault message remains until cleared by either the garage, or yourself, with vag/com diagnostic software on a laptop. The generated fault code may indicate which airbag is causing the problem. First place to look is the yellow connectors under swiveling captains front seats. Is it possible the wires are pulling when the seats are rotated ?
Had the same problem, my own fault, disconnected and reconnected an airbag to remove a front seat without disconnecting vehicle battery, so no actual airbag failure, invested in the vag com software disc installed it on a laptop hooked up to the vehicles diagnostic socket and reset. £263.46 ,, will pay for itself over my ownership of the vehicle as I can now quickly read and determine real faults when they occur. Nb Remember a reset may not be a fix, Don't mess with airbags or pre tensioners without thoroughly researching the necessary VW safety procedures, we are not experts, so work within your knowledge and capabilities..

Hope this helps.

Rob H

I have recently had an airbag fault light appear after revolving the passenger seat, took it to my local Garage and they reset it hopefully it will stay off. (Cost me Yorkshire Tea bags and Biscuits):)

We had an issue with our when we were in Italy, got a small garage to re set it very cheaply. The problem was caused by me rotating the seats with the ignition on or key in. Making sure the key is always in my pocket when I rotate the seats solved the problem.

It only takes a micro second of a poor contact of the air bag cable connections under the seat during seat rotation to trigger the fault.

We had an airbag light come on after I had fully reclined the front passenger seat back in order to carry a long section of kitchen worktop. The result was that doing this had torn the wiring harness apart under the seat.

The service manager at our dealership told me that, "the fault merely requires an adjustment and therefore is not covered under the warranty". Of course being "an adjustment" meant I was expected to pay. He also said that I should avoid fully reclining it again in future.

After a brief conversation about the seat design and it needing to be fit for purpose, he agreed it was in fact a fault and the work would be done for free.

Last edited:
Check your battery. You will sometimes get an airbag fault if the battery is low or on its way out.

after several swiich off light / clear fault codes with intermttent warning coming light on ..One airbag diagnosed failed igniter and replaced under vw warranty, next year the other failed replaced same fault under good will ..two years later it went again same fault replaced under manufacturer warranty.. ...

Back