Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Places to stop in Scotland

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I hope I have got this in the right forum location otherwise could admin move to the right place please :)

Since buying a T5 conversion in 2015 we've spent most of our travels in Scotland so I thought I'd post up our experiences of some of the sites we've stopped at, which generally have been excellent. Just as a background we tend to steer totally clear of big sites unless there is no other option so normally sites are small and might not even have a nearby shop. Although we don't yet own a Cali we are hoping to sell out beloved Colin and buy a used Cali perhaps later this year............hoping. SO here we go and not necessarily geographically near each other.
  • Woodend Caravan & Camping, Achnairn near Lairg - cheap small site first we ever stopped at and run by elderly couple. Toilets looked shabby but were spotless and only £10 for the night!
  • Crofters Snug near Mey, Thurso - tiny site with no toilet facilities as mostly pods - view looking over Orkneys - wonderful
  • Sango Sands Durness - large commercial site (no other choices around apart from Wilding) but reasonable when not to busy - probably lot of members been there.
  • Oldshore Car Park near cemetery (Wilding but may not be allowed now) near Kinlochbervie. Close enough for the walk to Sandwood Bay beach - most remote beach in uk
  • Shore Caravan Site, Achmelvich - nice spot but facilites need updating and no dogs allowed; nice walk though over to Lochinver and the pie shop!!!!
  • Port A Bhaigh, Altandhu - wonderful mid sized site with superb facilities and views over Summer Isles - long and windy roads to get there; never drive round coast from Lochinver - you'll regret even trying!
  • Big Sand, Gairloch - big commercial site near the sea spread out over many acres so possible to hide amongst sand dunes. Lovely beach with views of Applecross and Skye.
  • Inverewe C&CC site - very very busy and beside road. Very cramped and expensive so didn't stop!!!!! It was late so we ended up 'wilding' next to Loch Maree in Slatadale which was bliss!
  • Applecross - needs no explanation and neither does the Applecross Inn - just go and also enjoy the drive there over the harpin switchback route of the Bealach na Ba!!!
  • Staffin Caravan Site, North Skye - nice spot but facilities really need a big update; warden is a people magnet and wanders round all day trying to strike a conversation. He finally left us alone when our dog started violently barking at him. Could be a wonderful site if sorted out! Shame
  • Moyle Camp Site between Shiel Bridge and Glenelg off Old Military Road to old Skye ferry - tiny extremely quiet site - about 5 pitches with clean toilet and shower in portacabin v clean. Found by accident.........
  • Faichemard Farm Touring site, Invergarry. - Adults over 18 only and no groups. Book early. Probably the best campsite we've been to in central Scotland near major north south, east west routes just north of Fort William. Lots of walks in the hills and around lochs. If you feel fit you can walk (off road) to the bottom end of Loch Ness at Fort Augustus. Duncan the owner is very nice and full of ideas for you. We only found by chance on fast road trip home (580 miles) following my 89 year old father being hospitalised and me not wanting to drive fast through Scottish Highlands in the dark!
  • Burnside Caravan Park, Blair Drummond. - very small quiet site as an alternative to the large Blair Drummond Caravan Club site. Basic facilities but fine for an overnight away from main roads.
  • Caolasnacon Caravan & Camping, beside Lock Leven, - large commercial site with statics as well; reasonable facilities need updating and in busy lower Glencoe area. Was rather noisy when we were there on way to Mull but no one seemed to care! Won't use again.
  • By The Way camping and hostel, Tyndrum - mainly for walkers on West Highland Way but they have a few hardstandings and EHU's next to a quiet railway line. Excellent facilities with wardens. Set back away from A82
  • Braemar Caravan Park, Braemar. - largish site with mixture of pitches with and without EHU in lovely location. Excellent facilities and shop - beware never visit when Highland Gathering on as you'll be parked 2 miles up the road!!!!!!
  • Spey Bay Golf club, near Elgin. - right on the coast the golf club has a few hardstandings with ehu's and top notch facilities with wonderful walk to Scottish Dolphin Centre on Spey estuary.
  • Arran - Seal Shore Campsite on south of island. Nice spot on sea shore but pitches seem close together - only spent one night there due to big storm and had to move inland - lovely views out to see.
  • Arran - Bridgend Campsite, Shiskine - small sheltered site with mix of hard and grass standing with EHU's. Run by really nice accommodating older couple. Unisex facilities work fine and location easy for island and only 15 mins to Brodick ferry to Ardrossan.
  • Killegruer Caravan Site, Kintyre west coast. - grass pitches about 3m off beach with ehu's - watched a pod of dolphins swimming past!!! Good facilities and cheap.
  • Carradale Bay Holiday Park, Kintyre east coast. - quite large site but well spaced out and some pitches looking out to see. Excellent facilities a long way off the road; you wonder when you'll arrive!!
  • Mull - Fidden Farm south west. - About as far south west as you can get on the island. Very large open site virtually on the beach. No ehu's but good facilities; long drive to get there but worth it. Good stopping off point to visit Iona. You can walk to the ferry at Fionnphort.
  • Mull - Crannich Holiday Caravans - central Mull on road from Dervaig to Aros - book early as small busy site.
  • Mull - Tobermory Campsite - largish commercial site but seems well run. You can find quiet spots of your lucky. Facilities acceptable and clean.
  • Ardnamurchan Campsite, Kilchoan. - one of my favourites and I was nearly able to buy it if someone hadn't got their first!! Wonderful semi-terraced location with mix of hardstandings at top and grass further down towards shoreline. Views are wide across towards Mull and excellent place for Eagle watching. Fantastic (tropical looking) beach at Sanna just north.

Well that's about it and please bear in mind things do change and these are only our views on the days we were there :)

@Norfolk Jim you've listed lots of commercial sites have you never explored the wonderful wild spots that Scotland is so well endowed with?

@Norfolk Jim you've listed lots of commercial sites have you never explored the wonderful wild spots that Scotland is so well endowed with?
We have Wild camped quite a few times in very secluded places away from prying eyes and one reason I haven't mentioned them (apart from Oldshore car park) is in some way to protect them if that makes sense???? Mull are particularly against it and hand out leaflets to camper vans and motorhomes on the ferries telling them to use the campsites. Actual 'Wild Camping' refers to non-motorised methods of transport i.e. walking or cycling etc. but you may do it in camper if you have the landowners permission. Out of the main season they don't seem to be that worried but in the summer people are very quickly moved on. On Skye a couple of years ago we were driving round the top and there was a grassed area slightly hidden behind some rocks next to the shoreline and parked there was a sizeable motorhome with awning out, a wind break and even a badminton net kids playing football as well - total eyesore and talk about indiscreet!!!! We had slowed down to let a dark green truck go past but it pulled up near this crowd and 2 chaps (could have been park rangers or farmers) got out and went over to them. We drove off but when we came back about 15 mins later the truck was still there and the motorhome was just leaving................

To get a cheaper insurance deal we joined Wild Camping and they do a POI App and map showing locations of anything from pub stops, water tap locations, wild spots and aires etc -1587631991839.png this has been very useful along with archiescampings app for sites. Simply store them in your smartphone :)

We have Wild camped quite a few times in very secluded places away from prying eyes and one reason I haven't mentioned them (apart from Oldshore car park) is in some way to protect them if that makes sense???? Mull are particularly against it and hand out leaflets to camper vans and motorhomes on the ferries telling them to use the campsites. Actual 'Wild Camping' refers to non-motorised methods of transport i.e. walking or cycling etc. but you may do it in camper if you have the landowners permission. Out of the main season they don't seem to be that worried but in the summer people are very quickly moved on. On Skye a couple of years ago we were driving round the top and there was a grassed area slightly hidden behind some rocks next to the shoreline and parked there was a sizeable motorhome with awning out, a wind break and even a badminton net kids playing football as well - total eyesore and talk about indiscreet!!!! We had slowed down to let a dark green truck go past but it pulled up near this crowd and 2 chaps (could have been park rangers or farmers) got out and went over to them. We drove off but when we came back about 15 mins later the truck was still there and the motorhome was just leaving................

To get a cheaper insurance deal we joined Wild Camping and they do a POI App and map showing locations of anything from pub stops, water tap locations, wild spots and aires etc -View attachment 57909 this has been very useful along with archiescampings app for sites. Simply store them in your smartphone :)

Great advice and I'd just add that there's a huge difference between the 'honey pot' destinations (Skye, in particular) in high season and less travelled but still stunning parts of the west coast and at quieter times of year. Also if you get a reasonable distance off the NC500 route you'll find far fewer campervans/MHs and won't risk being part of the traffic.

I hope I have got this in the right forum location otherwise could admin move to the right place please :)

Since buying a T5 conversion in 2015 we've spent most of our travels in Scotland so I thought I'd post up our experiences of some of the sites we've stopped at, which generally have been excellent. Just as a background we tend to steer totally clear of big sites unless there is no other option so normally sites are small and might not even have a nearby shop. Although we don't yet own a Cali we are hoping to sell out beloved Colin and buy a used Cali perhaps later this year............hoping. SO here we go and not necessarily geographically near each other.
  • Woodend Caravan & Camping, Achnairn near Lairg - cheap small site first we ever stopped at and run by elderly couple. Toilets looked shabby but were spotless and only £10 for the night!
  • Crofters Snug near Mey, Thurso - tiny site with no toilet facilities as mostly pods - view looking over Orkneys - wonderful
  • Sango Sands Durness - large commercial site (no other choices around apart from Wilding) but reasonable when not to busy - probably lot of members been there.
  • Oldshore Car Park near cemetery (Wilding but may not be allowed now) near Kinlochbervie. Close enough for the walk to Sandwood Bay beach - most remote beach in uk
  • Shore Caravan Site, Achmelvich - nice spot but facilites need updating and no dogs allowed; nice walk though over to Lochinver and the pie shop!!!!
  • Port A Bhaigh, Altandhu - wonderful mid sized site with superb facilities and views over Summer Isles - long and windy roads to get there; never drive round coast from Lochinver - you'll regret even trying!
  • Big Sand, Gairloch - big commercial site near the sea spread out over many acres so possible to hide amongst sand dunes. Lovely beach with views of Applecross and Skye.
  • Inverewe C&CC site - very very busy and beside road. Very cramped and expensive so didn't stop!!!!! It was late so we ended up 'wilding' next to Loch Maree in Slatadale which was bliss!
  • Applecross - needs no explanation and neither does the Applecross Inn - just go and also enjoy the drive there over the harpin switchback route of the Bealach na Ba!!!
  • Staffin Caravan Site, North Skye - nice spot but facilities really need a big update; warden is a people magnet and wanders round all day trying to strike a conversation. He finally left us alone when our dog started violently barking at him. Could be a wonderful site if sorted out! Shame
  • Moyle Camp Site between Shiel Bridge and Glenelg off Old Military Road to old Skye ferry - tiny extremely quiet site - about 5 pitches with clean toilet and shower in portacabin v clean. Found by accident.........
  • Faichemard Farm Touring site, Invergarry. - Adults over 18 only and no groups. Book early. Probably the best campsite we've been to in central Scotland near major north south, east west routes just north of Fort William. Lots of walks in the hills and around lochs. If you feel fit you can walk (off road) to the bottom end of Loch Ness at Fort Augustus. Duncan the owner is very nice and full of ideas for you. We only found by chance on fast road trip home (580 miles) following my 89 year old father being hospitalised and me not wanting to drive fast through Scottish Highlands in the dark!
  • Burnside Caravan Park, Blair Drummond. - very small quiet site as an alternative to the large Blair Drummond Caravan Club site. Basic facilities but fine for an overnight away from main roads.
  • Caolasnacon Caravan & Camping, beside Lock Leven, - large commercial site with statics as well; reasonable facilities need updating and in busy lower Glencoe area. Was rather noisy when we were there on way to Mull but no one seemed to care! Won't use again.
  • By The Way camping and hostel, Tyndrum - mainly for walkers on West Highland Way but they have a few hardstandings and EHU's next to a quiet railway line. Excellent facilities with wardens. Set back away from A82
  • Braemar Caravan Park, Braemar. - largish site with mixture of pitches with and without EHU in lovely location. Excellent facilities and shop - beware never visit when Highland Gathering on as you'll be parked 2 miles up the road!!!!!!
  • Spey Bay Golf club, near Elgin. - right on the coast the golf club has a few hardstandings with ehu's and top notch facilities with wonderful walk to Scottish Dolphin Centre on Spey estuary.
  • Arran - Seal Shore Campsite on south of island. Nice spot on sea shore but pitches seem close together - only spent one night there due to big storm and had to move inland - lovely views out to see.
  • Arran - Bridgend Campsite, Shiskine - small sheltered site with mix of hard and grass standing with EHU's. Run by really nice accommodating older couple. Unisex facilities work fine and location easy for island and only 15 mins to Brodick ferry to Ardrossan.
  • Killegruer Caravan Site, Kintyre west coast. - grass pitches about 3m off beach with ehu's - watched a pod of dolphins swimming past!!! Good facilities and cheap.
  • Carradale Bay Holiday Park, Kintyre east coast. - quite large site but well spaced out and some pitches looking out to see. Excellent facilities a long way off the road; you wonder when you'll arrive!!
  • Mull - Fidden Farm south west. - About as far south west as you can get on the island. Very large open site virtually on the beach. No ehu's but good facilities; long drive to get there but worth it. Good stopping off point to visit Iona. You can walk to the ferry at Fionnphort.
  • Mull - Crannich Holiday Caravans - central Mull on road from Dervaig to Aros - book early as small busy site.
  • Mull - Tobermory Campsite - largish commercial site but seems well run. You can find quiet spots of your lucky. Facilities acceptable and clean.
  • Ardnamurchan Campsite, Kilchoan. - one of my favourites and I was nearly able to buy it if someone hadn't got their first!! Wonderful semi-terraced location with mix of hardstandings at top and grass further down towards shoreline. Views are wide across towards Mull and excellent place for Eagle watching. Fantastic (tropical looking) beach at Sanna just north.

Well that's about it and please bear in mind things do change and these are only our views on the days we were there :)
That’s brilliant thank you

Great info thank you , can’t remember name and to lazy to look (lol) stayed in a great place right on grass by beach that was famous in the film “local heroes “ great site and lady . About 17 miles from where the steam train that runs a well known route stops and ferry to Skye . Great white sands , will find names and post

Following my mail a few mins ago , sliversands , arisaig , nice village , 17 miles to Morar , nice town , easy flit over to Skye

Dave54. You’re referring to Camusdarroch beach. Fantastic sand and views. Nice site just a little south on the old road too, called Trigh campsite (which incidentally means Beach in Gaelic).

Following my mail a few mins ago , sliversands , arisaig , nice village , 17 miles to Morar , nice town , easy flit over to Skye
Yes Arisaig is nice looking out to Skye

Dave54. You’re referring to Camusdarroch beach. Fantastic sand and views. Nice site just a little south on the old road too, called Trigh campsite (which incidentally means Beach in Gaelic).
no it might be close to this site but it is called Sliversands, on a bend coming out maybe 2 miles from town

Here
1588085487421.pngThe P in the middle is the car park from where you get down to the beach along path next to the stream :)

We stopped at a small site at the end of the road going west from Back of Keppoch called Gortenachullish and got amazing sunset photos over Skye. Shows on OS map but nothing on Google Maps.
1588085821910.png

Do you mean this beach? It’s just a couple of minutes out of Morar

0636BB59-E66A-4242-912B-04F178F4ABFC.jpeg

B8788BAA-DCE8-4724-8E90-812BC725C3E8.jpeg

623780F5-3EF0-468F-9E70-1EEE3EE99D9C.jpeg

B54C1F7B-7523-4369-BD73-718BAFF34E3A.jpeg

Back