Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Plastic side window

Simon67

Simon67

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Has anyone removed their N/S plastic side window? Mine needs to come out for some rust treatment and I'd like to avoid breaking things! I will also need to replace the rubber seal as it has shrunk back. It looks like I'll need to remove interior trim and internally remove a frame but not sure whether the outer frame is bonded or not?

Many thanks

I look forward to being able to help with others technical questions once I learn some more about my new van

If it's the original Westy one I think you'll find they're obsolete, as are the seals.

Mine was leaking when I got the van. Sadly the leak allowed water down inside the van which, in turn, trashed my heater control box. Long since sorted but it did involve taking the window frame out.

I took out the old seal and searched the net (automotive seals etc) for a similar profile. I got pretty close. Cut it to length and bonded into a loop. Once fitted the window frame was a tight squeeze to replace.
Take care of the four plastic nuts for the studs. They strip easily!
I'd recommend clamping the frame in locally to each stud. Tighten the stud then release the clamp. Don't try to pull it tight on just the thread.

The outer frame isn't bonded. Just bolted.

You'll need to remove all of the interior trim around the frame.

Enjoy.

Cheers sidepod! That's really useful information; outside to try getting it out as soon as it's light!

Simon

Well the window came out but was an absolute sod and couldn't be saved (the rubber seal was bonded solid to the frame and the body so had to be cut out in a way that it wasn't really salvageable). Replaced with a new, sliding window from Van - x and am really happy with the result. means passengers can have some air in the rear.IMG_20160119_140712775_HDR.jpg

Looks like you have made a tidy job :thumb

Well, my body shop guy has!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Back