Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Opening kitchen window seal

Ady Goodier

Ady Goodier

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Has anyone ever had any luck with restretching the seal for the opening window ? Mine appears to have shrunk, so everytime I open it, the seal pops out. Or even anyone got a new one ? I've looked at Brickwerks and Gunzl, can't find one.
Thanks in advance
Ady

Hi, i have now same problem! Did you find a new one somewhere?
Pekka

Hi, i have now same problem! Did you find a new one somewhere?
Pekka
I'm afraid the Forum member you are trying to contact was last seen on the Forum in 2019.
In answer to your query, as the part is no longer available is;
1. Seal the window.
2. As mentioned in your other post, check the profile of the seal and search the Internet for something similar to make your own replacement.

kiitos vinkistä, hyväksyn sen, että en hanki uutta ja aloitan tee-se-itse-työn.

Has anyone ever had any luck with restretching the seal for the opening window ? Mine appears to have shrunk, so everytime I open it, the seal pops out. Or even anyone got a new one ? I've looked at Brickwerks and Gunzl, can't find one.
Thanks in advance
Ady
I took mine off as it to had alo shrunk over the years. Plus wasn't sealing 100%. Cleaned it in warm soapy water and replaced it upside down with the gap, which is smaller in size at the top of the window instead of the bottom. I haven't found an exact match for a replacement seal despite many hours searching.

Found applying silicon grease helps to seal

The original VW number for the rubber seal is 703 847 179, but they are not being made anymore. However, on a German-speaking VW T4 forum they have found and alternative that fits!

It's the seal for a dometic window and its said to fit nicely. Search for 'Dometic 540E06' or read the original information on the German T4 forum.

I can add from my own experience with my T4 window (which was leaking). That taking it out once in a while, cleaning it AND applying petrolium jelly, waterproofs it again. You can see how I did it here.

Which is my website, that I link to in my above post ;-) Good to know that it was useful to someone! :)
Oh haha, thank you again and I'm sorry to re-post, but it was too good to not share, and yes, it worked for me brilliantly. I still have the original window, as per the one in your post, and now it's thankfully watertight :)

Oh haha, thank you again and I'm sorry to re-post, but it was too good to not share, and yes, it worked for me brilliantly. I still have the original window, as per the one in your post, and now it's thankfully watertight :)
That makes my day! Feels great to know I've helped out at least 1 person. Miss my red T4, yours looks great in your profile picture.

Definitely :) And thanks for the compliments on my T4, I'm a very proud owner. Although this year I've had to have a lot of work done to it. For example, new gear linkages, new starter motor, refurbished injector and a new exhaust section. But as the van is almost 30 years old, it's to be expected, and I think it's worth the investment for this 'almost' classic vehicle :cool:

That's a lot indeed. But worth it both for you being able to enjoy it and for when you do sell it. Ours was a '94. Bought it for 11.250 euro's and sold it with a small profit after a lot of years of use and nice memories made.

Back