Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Please can someone help?! Towbar issue

Q

Quogirl

Guest User
We bought our Cali from Bilbos last year.
We know the westfalia detachable towbar was put away properly in the van by them when we left as we saw them do it.....

We have never used it.

In less than two weeks we are going to France with a towball bike rack and on getting out the towbar this evening, found that it is half jammed open with the key left in. Cannot get the key out. It works and will fit up and click into the hole but cannot remove the key, and of course cannot lock it.

We have left the Cali with three different workshops for various things during the year, and sadly I suspect that the swan neck we have now is not the one we left BIlbos with.

Can anyone tell me anywhere Kent Sussex borders that may be able to free the key up and get it working?
If not, can we just get a replacement swan neck. If so where from and how much?

Help as we haven't long to sort this!!!!

Thank you so much will ring round tomorrow have found four nearish. :clap

I had something similar when I first used mine, took me a while to figure out (I made a call to Westifalia also)....sounds like the same issue...

The key won't release when the tow bar is not correctly locked in place. The hole where the tow bar inserts needs a damn good clean (wire brush) and regrease, crud removed a good shove and the towbar clicks in fully, key comes out.

does the key come out when the towbar is not attached to the car?

No- it was packed away with key in . Won't release at all, fitted or not.

mine doesn't seem to come out at all when the bar is off (and it's brand new) so I suspect that the above post is right and a bit of judicious cleaning and fiddling around will get it to come out ok once the towbar is fixed in position

This was mentioned on the Towbar adventure thread. I have two of these fitted to different cars and the key definitely comes out when attached and detached.

I will try to take a picture or video at the weekend.

When the towbar was fitted they should also be a plastic cover which goes into the hole when the ball is not fitted to stop it getting full of crud.

T

hmm, there's no way my key comes out, I think I've tried everything now!

johnv - presume that means you can't lock it then?
Would worry about leaving bikes and rack unattended on an unlocked tow bar….

So far as I remember the key only comes out when the locking arrangement is in the correct position indicated by the coloured strip on the outside.

my key comes out ok when the towbar is on the car, but not when it is out, whatever key position - I'll try again though!

Got sorted! Took it to Beadles in Dartford and a nice man took it to the workshop and wrestled with it for ten minutes and got the key out. Works properly now .

Back