Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Plughole Hygiene !?

M

myvanrodney

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi All,

I guess this is a 'rookie' question with an obvious answer, but what do you seasoned campers do with regards to plughole hygiene?

The obvious party line is don't put anything down it besides watery liquids, but thats not entirely practical when doing normal kitchen stuff like washing dishes and saucepans. How tolerant is the waste tank and outlet to small food particles (the ones you cant 'pick out' with your fingers) ?

Im intrigued with the guage of the plughole's grate (quite wide), so VW must have accepted a certain amount of degradable solids will be flushed through.

Thanks!

By no means experienced but I would at least rinse solids off first before washing in sink. I don't want any solids in my waste tank, potentially blocking the exit or fermenting!

We try and minimise what we put down the sink, no solids, but this isn’t born out of experience. We haven’t tested it to destruction, but I’ll look at others contributions with interest.

Your question has nudged my memory to empty and flush out the grey tank, as I have used it last week for washing up! I generally flush the grey tank with treated water from the fresh water tank, while sterilising that.

Hi All,

I guess this is a 'rookie' question with an obvious answer, but what do you seasoned campers do with regards to plughole hygiene?

The obvious party line is don't put anything down it besides watery liquids, but thats not entirely practical when doing normal kitchen stuff like washing dishes and saucepans. How tolerant is the waste tank and outlet to small food particles (the ones you cant 'pick out' with your fingers) ?

Im intrigued with the guage of the plughole's grate (quite wide), so VW must have accepted a certain amount of degradable solids will be flushed through.

Thanks!
put a milton tablet on the plug hole and let it do its job,cleans the plug hole and tank as water is poured down.

Don't think I've put anything down the grey waste tube yet. If on a campsite I wash up at the communal sink. When wild camping or on an Aire I use a biodegradable detergent in the bowl and throw it somewhere out of the way or down the grey waste disposal grate in the ground.

A hired Cali we were in last year had a big note in their "welcome book" about not allowing coffee grounds down the sink, and they're pretty mobile and fine. The ball valve on the outlet is pretty small, so I'd guess the internal diameter is something like 10mm so fairly easy to block if it really is that small (might be bigger though, just looks small). We only rinse out cups, glasses and occasionally brush teeth in the sink. Food stuff is either at the communal or if the site doesn't have it, in a fold-up washing up bowl outside and chucked down a drain.

I did not know there was a ball valve. Anyone got a pic or diagram please?

On a 6.1 at least, it's in the bottom of the left hand kitchen cupboard on the left side (so effectively next to the bottom of the 'fridge). Red handle on ours.

Here's a picture from the ball valve in the fresh water outlet in the back of the Cali. The one with the red handle. It's the same type as the valve from the the grey water outlet.

In winter, I always turn both red handles in the 45 degree position. When completely closed or completely opened, water is encapsulated between the casing and the valve ball, and when freezing the ice pressure can deformate the valve, resulting in a dripping valve next spring.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

1714403102637.png

At the start of a camping trip I use an enzyme drain cleaner with the first use of the sink along with 3 or 4 litres of water. Keeps everything slick and span, never had any problems with smells or blockages.

Hi All,

Thanks!
Tend to try and limit what goes down the plug by removing most food waste into bin or washing at campsite wash area.

Main problem is length of time waste is in the tank and off odours due to decomposition. At around 3 to 4 days of use we have this problem and have to keep the plug in to stop it venting into the van.

I noted in a VW diagram that Welsh gas linked from a T5.1 handbook and also on LLL parts diagram that VW showed the waste pipe from the sink outlet collector having a “loop” to form a trap before it enters the top of the waste tank to form a water trap.
IMG_7128.jpeg
I checked on my T6 and the pipe does not form the water trap loop and just drops straight to the tank hence the tank can vent into the van.

Have had no issues with tank outlet valve or outlet blockages in 5 years.

Clean fairly frequently with 3.5 buckets of hot water and a dissolved dish washer tablet every few trips.

I try and limit what goes down the drain, no food stuff or strained tuna tins. I use this Thetford grey water product that seems to help and not had any issues to date after 18 months of ownership.

IMG_4984.jpeg

We hardly ever wash up in the sink as its so small. Always wash up at the designated area at the campsite. The sink drain pipes are very narrow and could easily cause smells.

Having said that, normal household strong drain cleaner works great. The pipes are all plumbing grade so capable of having drain cleaner put down there, followed by a couple of kettles of hot water.

Our kids used to spit toothpaste in the sink which often blocked it. I have tried to stop this.

We hardly ever wash up in the sink as its so small. Always wash up at the designated area at the campsite. The sink drain pipes are very narrow and could easily cause smells.

Having said that, normal household strong drain cleaner works great. The pipes are all plumbing grade so capable of having drain cleaner put down there, followed by a couple of kettles of hot water.

Our kids used to spit toothpaste in the sink which often blocked it. I have tried to stop this.
I have bought toothpaste tablets to stop this happening. https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui...e59-1ee5688a81b5&istItemId=ppimpqqii&istBid=t

Have never put anything down the sink ,we keep the plug firmly in,we wash up in a separate bowl and tip the water away.

Have never put anything down the sink ,we keep the plug firmly in,we wash up in a separate bowl and tip the water away.
I'm trying to maintain that new Campervan smell as long as possible. It never gets old. Although realising I'd driven off with a bowl half full of water in the sink didn't help. Minimal escapage fortunately.

Back