Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Poor paint adhesion with two tone paint

BaTmobile Ocean

BaTmobile Ocean

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I have a 1969 Cali with two tone paint (white/blue).
I am seeing a number of instances where a small knock that doesn't even have the force to dent the body does result in the lower colour (blue) chipping off.
The underlying paint layer is the white paint.
The inference is that the blue paint over-spray is not adhering to the white paint underneath properly.

I have owned vehicles for over 50 years and never seen paint chipping with this ease before.
A visit to my local VW dealer meet with a dismissive attitude that this happens to all VW van paint.
I have also a VW Golf that recently had dozens of pretty significant dents put in it (a car crashed into our front garden and literally peppered the Golf with masonry fragments). None of these impacts resulted in paint flaking off.

Anyone else seen this flaking?

PXL_20240927_125529957.jpg

PXL_20240927_125537873.jpg

That doesn’t look right at all. In your position I would ask VW to agree to an independent paint inspection.

I have a 1969 Cali with two tone paint (white/blue).
I am seeing a number of instances where a small knock that doesn't even have the force to dent the body does result in the lower colour (blue) chipping off.
The underlying paint layer is the white paint.
The inference is that the blue paint over-spray is not adhering to the white paint underneath properly.

I have owned vehicles for over 50 years and never seen paint chipping with this ease before.
A visit to my local VW dealer meet with a dismissive attitude that this happens to all VW van paint.
I have also a VW Golf that recently had dozens of pretty significant dents put in it (a car crashed into our front garden and literally peppered the Golf with masonry fragments). None of these impacts resulted in paint flaking off.

Anyone else seen this flaking?

View attachment 129400

View attachment 129401
1969?

Definitely not normal. Ironically, we also had someone crash through our wall earlier this year, and the Cali was subject to flying masonry. Thankfully there was only minimal damage, a few scratches to one panel. The scratches went through the green paint down to the white, but no flaking, and given the size of brick fragments around the van we were very relieved.

Your photos show rubbed off paintwork at the panel edges, this is clear evidence of poor painting. VW should own the issue in my opinion.

Back