Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Poorly van, but the upside is...

N

norfolkcali

...that I have had a chance to drive a 180DSG from the dealer's hire fleet while my 140 manual gets a new fuel gauge sender unit, fuel pump, and side airbag (trouble coming in threes, thankfully all being done under warranty). Full marks to Robinsons VW for keeping me mobile and informed of the situation.

How did you find it compares with yours refinement and economywise etc? Would you trade up? We are torn between a 180 dsg or keeping some money in the bank and getting a 140 but the part of me that thinks "buy the best" is sure I'd regret it if I go with a 140.

Either Cali will do the job for you Paul ,just one will be slightly faster when racing about and use abit more fuel and cost more ... Depends on how much money u want to throw at it and how much u use it for other things than camping or daily driver or if your a speedy driver etc etc .... I've driven a 140 dsg conversation transporter with full camping interior and she drove lovely ...do a list of pros&cons Paul :)

Out of interest, how old is it and what mileage?

Just had a few new bits under warranty (steering column, water gauges, etc) on our 61 plate 4k mile Cali a week ago.

We had to have 4motion so 180 was the only option but I've heard some useful mpg numbers for the 140. Ours definitely likes it's drink!

Hi Paul,

There's no argument that the 180DSG shifts when you stand on it but I've never found my 140 manual to be unbearably slow. With the 'box in standard auto it seems to like pulling away in 2nd, haven't tried it in S mode which might hold the ratio down. Or, of course, use it as a sequential manual.
Just don't watch the fuel gauge! Yesterday I did a run from home to King's Lynn which I have done often and got an indicated 40+ mpg. In the 180DSG I got 31-32.
4Motion means a weight penalty and no fifth seat. And this particular example doesn't have things that mine has that I wouldn't do without (most notably Climatronic and front parking sensors).

Has that been any help?

My own van is a 60 plate facelift, registered new October 2010. I bought it with 6k on the clock and I've added another 10k.

norfolkcali said:
Hi Paul,

There's no argument that the 180DSG shifts when you stand on it but I've never found my 140 manual to be unbearably slow. With the 'box in standard auto it seems to like pulling away in 2nd, haven't tried it in S mode which might hold the ratio down. Or, of course, use it as a sequential manual.
Just don't watch the fuel gauge! Yesterday I did a run from home to King's Lynn which I have done often and got an indicated 40+ mpg. In the 180DSG I got 31-32.
4Motion means a weight penalty and no fifth seat. And this particular example doesn't have things that mine has that I wouldn't do without (most notably Climatronic and front parking sensors).

Has that been any help?

Most informative thanks. We are swaying towards the 140 as running costs are something that's hard to ignore.

I wouldn't blame you ..I know my 180 is new ,but struggle to more than 31-32mpg max at the moment

This 180DSG is also new, it had fewer than 150 miles on it when I took it on last Wednesday. MPG figures in my 140 have improved as the mileage has increased. It has also stopped using oil. So you might get an mpg improvement once run in.
Tried the S mode today and it does hold the lower ratio when pulling away but won't change up until 2500-3000rpm. When mine comes back I'll have to remember that my left foot will have a job to do...

Back