Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top Headlining removal help.

I

incarpaul

Hi all,

would anyone know how to remove the headlining inside of the Cali pop up top.

need to fit a solar panel and want to drop the head lining first before drilling.

cheers Paul

I would not want to drill holes in the roof for any reason. roof panel is not designed to take any weight directly.
Why not build an aluminium frame to carry your panels & make it so it slots into the two roof channels that are designed to take weight.

Sent you a PM

I agree, I wouldn't drill the roof panel.
Make up a low profile frame to slot into the channels and mount on that, alternatively you might want to stick the panels on. Made by Unisolar for caravans etc... Sold on the Midsummer energy website I think. These panels are also good under partially shaded conditions...
Just a thought.... :D

Thanks for the replies

The hole to be drilled is for the wires to come through the roof skin from said solar panel (just One) not an array of solar panels.

Not sure of the weight of the panel (ali frame type) but surly when it's fitted with the bonded type brackets then this will add rigidness to the roof?

Andy I'm not authorised to access my PM's... maybe cause of my post count so not sure what you sent/said

Why do you need a solar panel up there ? Is it for very long stays in the middle of nowhere ?

I would personally need a good reason before drilling into the aluminium roof panel as it is very difficult to paint/ repair this metal. VW can't even do it properly. Also, at resale time it could scare off any buyers that see it.

gatvol said:
Why do you need a solar panel up there ? Is it for very long stays in the middle of nowhere ?

Yes, most camping will be wild or without 240v so solar panel is essential bit of kit.

James, thanks for the link but already have all the parts needed.

Guys I appreciate the comments but telling me you would not drill a hole doesn't help. I would if it made the install better as it would be correctly sealed and at the end of the day I look after my van not VW. I don't want to be taking valuable space carrying a panel inside the van then getting out to set it up, far better just fitting it too the roof and it's charging (if required) all the time.

Could use a curly cable & cut a small hole in the rubber "boot" for the wires that go from back of van to tailgate, then feed wire into wardrobe. I assume your regulator will be located it the wardrobe somewhere ?. Sorry not a very good description but open tailgate & on left you will see what I mean. Curly, coiled cable will allow for extra length needed when roof is up.

incarpaul said:
gatvol said:

Yes, most camping will be wild or without 240v so solar panel is essential bit of kit.

James, thanks for the link but already have all the parts needed.

Guys I appreciate the comments but telling me you would not drill a hole doesn't help. I would if it made the install better as it would be correctly sealed and at the end of the day I look after my van not VW. I don't want to be taking valuable space carrying a panel inside the van then getting out to set it up, far better just fitting it too the roof and it's charging (if required) all the time.

No prob, I gathered you had the kit, just thought it might give you some ideas.

Let us know how you get on :)

James

Forgot about this post so thought i will end the post with what I found :eek:

The internal roof covering is held onto the outer skin with a sikaflex type adhesive and is a right nightmare to remove but can be done. Maybe not a job others would undertake but the thought of wires showing would just annoy the crap out of me.

the way I did it was to remove the top rear corner of the canvas from it's channel so you can get access from the side and starting from the rear corner using a scraper separate the popup roofs headlining from the outer skin between 4-6" inwards would be fine, working your way towards the front until you see fit. I ended up just beside the slots for the roof rack, ideal as my solar panel bolts to this channel and can be removed if required.

Rather you than me ;) sounds like a mare of a job.

Can you get Solar panels that can just plug in to the hook up?

Back