Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top in the winter rain

J

Jonlethbridge

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
In the warm weather rain is not a problem
and the roof soon dries out. But what about if it rains day after day. New fabric seems quite tough and waterproof. But would mould come if damp for a week or two. To avoid the complication of external topper I am
Considering internal isofix insulation . For external I am recommended painting with a silicone based pain called Fabsil waterproofer that is used for waterproofing tents , awnings, clothes . Sounds ideal . Has anyone tried this approach ? Thanks very much for thoughts on this .

and the roof soon dries out. But what about if it rains day after day. New fabric seems quite tough and waterproof. But would mould come if damp for a week or two. To avoid the complication of external topper I am
Considering internal isofix insulation . For external I am recommended painting with a silicone based pain called Fabsil waterproofer that is used for waterproofing tents , awnings, clothes . Sounds ideal . Has anyone tried this approach ? Thanks very much for thoughts on this .
If left up, no problem. If packed away for any length of time wet then I cannot see how you will avoid mould. Also, as VW do not advise using such waterproofing agents any warranty claim regarding the canvas could be problematic.

Don't paint it with anything. If it gets wet while camping then fold away to travel then put it up again even if its raining at home then watch the weather as soon as it dry's pop it away. Even in this country it does stop at some point.
If you get it home and it stops raining but its cold and damp, put the diesel heater on for a couple of hours, leave the top bed down but the sliding hatch open. Heat rises and will dry it out. Its about doing what you can if winter camping, just don't leave it wet and folded for days on end.

Hi
If left up, no problem. If packed away for any length of time wet then I cannot see how you will avoid mould. Also, as VW do not advise using such waterproofing agents any warranty claim regarding the canvas could be problematic.
thanks. I have had reservations because of warranty issues . Best for me to just get the experience of wet winter camping and learn from experience.

Don't paint it with anything. If it gets wet while camping then fold away to travel then put it up again even if its raining at home then watch the weather as soon as it dry's pop it away. Even in this country it does stop at some point.
If you get it home and it stops raining but its cold and damp, put the diesel heater on for a couple of hours, leave the top bed down but the sliding hatch open. Heat rises and will dry it out. Its about doing what you can if winter camping, just don't leave it wet and folded for days on end.
Thanks Sandyvan. Your comment that even in UK the rain will eventually stop at some point seems to mean that you have experience of this problem yourself . So this will be my approach. Wait till the rain stops and then use the diesel heater, door open.

Just use it as it was intended to be used. The T6 material is better than the T5 was, if it gets wet and you have to move then fold away and move but just be mindful its still wet up there. dry out as soon as you can.
As said even if you leave the roof up at home in the rain its not festering folded up. Even up at home its only the same as being up on a camp site don't worry, enjoy.

Each for his own, but I am glad I have an external topper. That way I can close the roof with a dry canvas, and when it is possible, I just have to dry the external topper, not having to worry about the dry tent above my head when driving.

As I have the T5.1, I still have the fabric tent, not the T6 "plastic" tent. So I can have more use in an external.

An internal topper won't stop the tent getting wet.

We have a comfortz topper that has had plenty of use(in Scotlands best weather ☔) . Can be a pain if windy, but dry and warmer in the top bed. Will no doubt be used in a couple of weeks when we're away.

Plastic tent?
Well, I don't know what material it is, but it's not the fabric anymore.
I used the " " because it is not plastic as we know it. It is something I can't name.
Please correct me with the right name of the material.

Well, I don't know what material it is, but it's not the fabric anymore.
I used the " " because it is not plastic as we know it. It is something I can't name.
Please correct me with the right name of the material.
I don't know what it is TBH, but having had the 5.1 so previous material I find the stuff on the 6 an improvement. Having said that I did not experience any mishaps with the earlier one. We don't sleep up top and never will just personal choice, so any type of topper is not required for us, I have had to close and drive wet but it dry's quite quick, quicker than the previous. I have no experience of toppers so if the OP wants to go down that route it would be best if someone that has one as you do advises them accordingly. I just merely explained what I do if the roof gets wet, and you have to drive before it dry's.

It is all just a personal choice. The OP noticed he didn't want an external topper, then I don't really need to convince him to order one because I think he should?

Isn't it possible to dry wipe the T6 canvas before pulling it in? On my T5.1, if there are some raindrops still haning on the canvas, I wipe them off, so they can't infiltrate into it, making it more wet.

The external topper has some advantages like: keeping the rain off the canvas, blocking outside moist, it feels warmer upstairs, blocks wind.
That last one is also a drawback as it makes more noise when it is windy.
One time I almost didn't get some sleep at night when it became very windy. But it would have been quite a job to put off the topper at night, dark, almost stormy, and not damaging the topper or the canvas itself, so I left it on, hoping nothing would blow away or tear apart. Luckily it withstanded the wind, and all I got was less sleep.
So it is a wonderfull piece of kit, but has drawbacks too.

Like I said: each for his own. If they are interested I will give answers to their questions, but I can't answer if I don't know the question.

I thought I ws the only person who hated the extra noise it made even in a breeze.
Coupled with the pain of puttimng it on and taking it off, it's remained in the garage for the last half dozen years.

I thought I ws the only person who hated the extra noise it made even in a breeze.
Coupled with the pain of puttimng it on and taking it off, it's remained in the garage for the last half dozen years.
I don't know what everything is on about the pain to put it on and off? I know mine is very easy to put on and off. I just need another person to help me out. Or the other brands must be very uneasy to put on and off?
One side just slides in the unused sliding rail on the left side. I open the roof, slide in 2 short velcro pieces front and back of the awning. Connect the topper on the velcro, put 2 elestics front and back, and that's it.
Just when taking it off, I need to watch out nothing gets trapped between the scissors. Then just some folding, and it's in the bag. Drawback: the topper can't be stowed between the chairs in the boot because it's too thick.

I'm pleased to report that there is absolutely no wind noise with the Khyam Kamper Cosi, maybe due to the fact that it is secured on all 4 sides. It may have it's disadvantages, but it really is the best form of protection in foul weather.

I think as Triplebee points out the external one does make more sense. I personally don't want one it sounds a faff and more kit to carry about but as rightly pointed out and I agree personal choice must come into everything we all do. I just answered the OP with what we do if the canvas gets wet say on the last night before moving off in the morning. Its just the same as putting a tent away wet it needs to be dried at some point.
I don't know how you would dry the canvas before folding, but great if you can. Then how do you do it if its still weeing it down when you have to fold away to move.
Back to my post regarding drying it after getting home. If you want a topper buy and fit one no probs.

I think as Triplebee points out the external one does make more sense. I personally don't want one it sounds a faff and more kit to carry about but as rightly pointed out and I agree personal choice must come into everything we all do. I just answered the OP with what we do if the canvas gets wet say on the last night before moving off in the morning. Its just the same as putting a tent away wet it needs to be dried at some point.
I don't know how you would dry the canvas before folding, but great if you can. Then how do you do it if its still weeing it down when you have to fold away to move.
Back to my post regarding drying it after getting home. If you want a topper buy and fit one no probs.
Thanks. I agree. I think it is good to compare it to putting a tent away while wet. So important to put it up on getting home. I shall try and do without an external topper because it might become one of those things I buy and then don’t use. Thanks for your thoughts on this

A topper was an "essential buy" for my first Cali so I bought one.

12 months later I sold it, unused, still in its bag. :shocked :)

A topper was an "essential buy" for my first Cali so I bought one.

12 months later I sold it, unused, still in its bag. :shocked :)
Sounds a similar story to my drive away awning I thought would be so important.
Used it once. Find it takes so much space up in the boot, and haven't used it since.
Although the use of any kind of water proofing agent seems to be understandably frowned upon I intend to look into this in great depth and perhaps try some on just a part of the canvas. An eaflier writer described Grangers Fabsil Waterproofer. Since then I have read about a large number of often silicone based waterproofing agents that are used on clothes and tent canvases. These agents claim to maintain breath ability even when used on Gortex clothing and claim to protect by increasing water repellency . I am not sure why there is such opinion against them.

I've a 5.1 and canvas leaked badly with strong winds and heavy rain was a nightmare. When either doing odd night or wild camping using a topper isn't an option i do have the Kampi cosi Kyham one when needed for very cold/ longer term stops. I have since the warranty expired used Fabsil and wish i'd done it sooner- dry as a bone whatever the weather now :) i always sleep below but like having roof up and top bed down so can hear waves etc when at the coast as i sleep............

I have a T5 Cali and a Cali topper that came with the van when I purchased second hand. I had heard stories of wind noise and the pain in using so left it the bag for ages. One trip to Norfolk the weather was billed to be very heavy rain and winds, we always sleep up stairs. I had packed it so tried it once and now we wouldn’t be without it, not only is it a lot warmer but it also means you can have the windows open for ventilation in the rain without getting wet. As for wind noise we have been out in a GF8 which I was very concerned about (it wasn’t forecast) and no problem at all, not only was it nice and cosy but with the elastic bungees it also took some of the power out of the gusts instead of loading the canvas. Use it regularly now and wouldn’t be without it. Putting it on and off is a doddle if you follow the instructions and use the wind to your advantag.

Hi
So far I have avoided raising the roof when rain is forecast BUT If we get heavy rain whilst the roof is up, it's still raining in the morning do you just lower the roof and pop sit up later when there's a good dry out.
Apart from not using it in the wet what is the best thing if you have to pack it away in the wet?
Also is it waterproof in the rain?
Thanks

New calis roofs are synthetic fibre , not cotton
So please don’t use any fabsil type product
Won’t hurt the roof to put away wet but could cause damp odour
Dry out by raising roof and plug in domestic fan heater sited safely
Dries very quickly
First sunny day ..... we do get them in winter ....
Raise roof and air it

Hi. Yes if you have to drop the roof whilst it's wet then just make sure to put it back up as soon as possible to let it dry out. If it is particularly wet when you put it down you may want to protect your upper bed mattress before closing the roof as it can seep through as the canvas is sat on the bed when the roof is lowered. The pop top canvas is waterproof. Just enjoy whatever the weather!

Hi
So far I have avoided raising the roof when rain is forecast BUT If we get heavy rain whilst the roof is up, it's still raining in the morning do you just lower the roof and pop sit up later when there's a good dry out.
Apart from not using it in the wet what is the best thing if you have to pack it away in the wet?
Also is it waterproof in the rain?
Thanks
Might as well get a solid roof van in the UK if you avoid putting the pop top up when rain is a possibility.

Back