Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop Top Lubrication

CPO77

CPO77

Hi All,
I bought my Cali in the UK and brought it out NZ where we are living for a few years. VW don't import them here so they are like the proverbial hens teeth... :D
Our local VW dealer has no problem servicing the van given its T5 running gear but when it comes to any warranty issues regarding any of the camping gear specific to the Cali (so far a failed double glazed rear window, failed house battery and a broken hinge and strut on the coolbox) - lets just say I probably have a better idea of how to fix it!
Does anyone know if the roof scissor mechanism needs lubricating and at at what points? I do remember reading somewhere that this forms part of the scheduled dealer service in the UK but cant find anything further on it. Any info anyone can provide would be really appreciated! :thanks

I was interested to read your post re pop top lubrication. I decided to get the step ladder out last week and give the roof mechanism and seals a good clean. I put a couple of drops of 3 in 1 oil on all the roof pivot points, being very careful not to use too much so as to cause drips.

My roof now closes nice and quietly. I cant think of any other way of lubricating the roof mechanism and would be interested to know what other cali owners do.

Thats what Im talking about Steve! Mine gives a definite squeak on opening and before I go gung-ho with the silicon spray I would like to know what the plan of attack is going to be - the last thing I want is some nasty WD40 stains on the canvas :D

i do my one twice a year i use a silicone spray i put a peace of card behind the hinge so i dont spray any on the canvas .i all so make sure the drain holes are clear to .and have a good clean in all the gaps .

slowcoach65 said:
Where are these drain holes that I keep hearing about :?:

Cheers,

Andy
at the front of the roof above windscreen were it closes left and right side in corners :thumb

Also add some grease on the sliding bit at the front top of the hinge mechanism, the hinge slides against the roof and if it drys out the roof can start to judder. Fortunately VW greased this for me during last years service.

I clean the whole roof and all nooks and crannies in the spring and again in the Autumn, it is a great place for trapped debris and muck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Silicone spray any moving parts. And grease up runners..I also do the same to the door hinges and side door..but any good mechanic should do this standard when servicing.

Back