Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top wrapping

Elmo3

Elmo3

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
The paintwork on my Beach is faded on the aluminium roof section. It’s 11 years old, a dark colour (off road grey) and spent quite a long time in Spain, so the sun has taken its toll. I showed a local bodyshop and their suggestion was to wrap it rather than repaint. Has anyone done this? Is it a really daft idea?

that's probably the best way to do it
can they get the same colour?

Is it a really daft idea?

Given this is your bonus Cali, bought for sensible money and maybe just a stop gap is there anything to be said for saving the £££ for any mechanical issues that may crop up and leaving the roof honest?

You can always change your mind later but chances are you'll just enjoy it as it is and sell it on at cost or a small profit in a year or two. A future buyer may wonder what you are hiding under any wrapping.

Given this is your bonus Cali, bought for sensible money and maybe just a stop gap is there anything to be said for saving the £££ for any mechanical issues that may crop up and leaving the roof honest?

You can always change your mind later but chances are you'll just enjoy it as it is and sell it on at cost or a small profit in a year or two. A future buyer may wonder what you are hiding under any wrapping.
Take photos before wrapping, so you can prove the paint was ok pre wrap, a reputable wrapping co. will not apply a wrap over poor paintwork

Thanks for the views. I’m considering options but tempted to just leave it alone. 1 owner from new, every piece of paperwork, history and bill. Some serious money has been spent, such as new bellows and rear seat foams and covers by VW a few years ago. Just needs a bit of TLC to bring it up in a few areas, such as electrical upgrades for a decent fridge. Some corrosion above windscreen. Headlining would benefit from being replaced. One of the windows could do with re tinting. Got a new mattress sorted for the upper bed, which we always sleep in. Gave it a good shakedown at the weekend and our experience was essentially the same as in a new Cali. The pod is actually more useable than that in the Ocean, so is definitely staying. Our thoughts are that this Cali will be with us for a good while.

Back