Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

pop up roof possible on grand california 600?

Peter V

Peter V

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Hello Guys 8year happy T6 CALI owner , and now looking for something (slightley)bigger and that we can stand up in ..
Just been to the Dusseldorf camper exposition , and took (nearly) all 6m vans in account
Must say the one with the most legroom as a driver and best looking interiour ever was the VW..
Only thing is that they caled it a California , where ALL cali's even from the 70's have pop up roofs..
otherwise it would'nt be a california ,so SHAME ON YOU VOLKSWAGEN...(I have say'd that also to the vendors down there..also ..lol)
So did anybody (or known a firm) did put on a decent , goodlooking pop up on it ?

cheers

Peter

Not possible to do on a Grand California. The roof is a GRP composite or equivalent of, which cant support any substantial weight. Whilst a Crafter can, the GC (both 600 and 680) are specific high tops for the GC.

Not possible to do on a Grand California. The roof is a GRP composite or equivalent of, which cant support any substantial weight. Whilst a Crafter can, the GC (both 600 and 680) are specific high tops for the GC.
thanx for the reply !
Well I guess a grand cali is out of the running then...
I still wonder how on earth VW decided to make a "california" without a pop up roof.
They could have made it an extra option as all other manufacturers do (if you don't like the pop up..)
Im sure they would havesold thousend's more , cos you really don't see them that often..

cheers

Peter

Personally one of the reasons we chose the GC was because of the lack of pop top. Its far warmer, less prone to technical failure and less noisy. But no van is perfect for everyone.

For VW to have done a pop top on the GC would have required a third roof type. The current two types all of the electrics, roof lining, electrical pathways (for solar, lighting, etc) and storage. With a pop top, VW would need to rethink all of that and be bespoke, which would have brought far more cost.

Same issue here. We need to sleep at least 3 and don’t want a nose. So when the time comes will more likely be a Westfalia MAN or Merc with a pop top.

Same issue here. We need to sleep at least 3 and don’t want a nose. So when the time comes will more likely be a Westfalia MAN or Merc with a pop top.
Oh yes I looked at those options aswell , but they are way more costley then the GC , wich I found very resonably priced , concidering theire quality build...(even if you would have to pay extra for a pop up roof option )
The inside really looks as clean as a whistle , looks to me like the inside of the space shuttle , wich is the look I personally like the best off all campers

On a separate note, its surprising to see the spots of panel damage caused from the inflictions on the grp (or whatever) hightop. I wouldn't have expected that.

Have a look at Etrusco Campervans, both available with pop tops, keenly priced Hymer Group offerings

I would have a look at the Hymer Free (S) if you fancy a poptop.
I just made a configuration of all hymers with pop up roof at 6m
they all are between the 115.000 and 125.000 price range..(euro)
And I have been reaaaaal carefull about ticking the option boxes..
Just a 180hp engine and a automatic gear box is allready about 10.000 euro
.(wich is standard on the GC)
the rest is stuff I really need..(just the metallic colour is an bit non essential, but I really don't like white vans..)

What about Adria? Their Twin Sports 600 SPB has a pop up roof and starts from 78k.
Well there you have it it starts from...
When you get all the options you need , top up , engine , autom gear box , nice colour etc..you are going to hit 100.000 very easely ,
And all the above mensiond Van's are Fiat or Citroen based (exept hymer has a merc based aswell)

I have 2 problems with that , firts ..I can not strech my left leg completely , there is a kinda bulge
on the left side (prob wheel arch)

I also have this problem in te cali t6 , cos of the kitchen after the riders seat (mainland Europe left driving seat) I used to get cramp after 500-600km now 8 years later it's allready at 200km..so I don't want that problem again.

and secondly the front window is really low , it obstructs a great deal of my vieuw ..2 problems I did not have in a merc van or the GC..also my current t6 has more vieuw then the ducato

So I don't wanne splash out 100.000 on something I don't feel comfertable in..
I can easely wait 2 more years to buy one as I am kinda disapointed in the prices and models
maybe there will be some updated model who has taken care of these problems , and I'm sure all prices will haveto go down , as it is still a side affect of the corona thing ...

cheers

Peter

Could try the DIY route, saw this on facebook. Got a bridge near you?

View attachment 128768
Yikes. We need to step up to something bigger sooner or later and the GC is an obvious contender, but images like this do put me off higher vans. I imagine it's very easily done if you're used to a standard car as a daily drive and on a long or tiring journey or unfamiliar route.
Is there a version of AAC that alerts against low bridges...?

Yikes. We need to step up to something bigger sooner or later and the GC is an obvious contender, but images like this do put me off higher vans. I imagine it's very easily done if you're used to a standard car as a daily drive and on a long or tiring journey or unfamiliar route.
Is there a version of AAC that alerts against low bridges...?
My alpine Halo 9 (DC version) knows the height, width and length of vehicle and plans accordingly, it can also (in truck mode) plan routes depending on the cargo you are carrying (ie flammable etc)

It would become a three story flat building with a pop top....and it already doesn't have the best looks..:)

My alpine Halo 9 (DC version) knows the height, width and length of vehicle and plans accordingly, it can also (in truck mode) plan routes depending on the cargo you are carrying (ie flammable etc)
I suppose the risk is that that the navigation system has inaccurate data. Sat Nav / Low bridge incidents seem to be less common (or less newsworthy)., but still occur.

I suppose the risk is that that the navigation system has inaccurate data. Sat Nav / Low bridge incidents seem to be less common (or less newsworthy)., but still occur.
Yes, but the driver still has to make the decision to try it!
I have a mate, a coach driver, who tried to go under the runway at an airport and when he touched the roof, he lowered the air suspension and went in further instead of backing out. That was entertaining!

It would become a three story flat building with a pop top....and it already doesn't have the best looks..:)
yeah well , they would need to take that GPR roof off and start with metal base van..what they should have done in the first place...

I found this firm that does a pop up on aVW crafter , it's a MAN , but really is the same as a VW
on theire home page they sell them as 4x2 aswell , but when I click they seem to just advertise the
4x4..
I also think they are at the top end cos of the price..easely 130.000....
Just 2 dealers in Belgium and I think none in the UK..

Has room for 6... here you go big family's...

I'd suggest less newsworthy - they do still happen a fair bit. I find it incredible that drivers of vehicles are so unaware of the height/width of what they're driving. The photo above looks like the bridge has a full warning system, although ironically it's been crashed into so maybe it wasn't working.

I remember years ago near where I used to live the local bus service was always a single decker (and in that area, you never really got double deckers). For some reason, one day a double decker was put on the route and it was spectacularly decapitated at a railway bridge. There were some kids upstairs apparently, fortunately they dived between the seats and were OK.

Back