Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop-up roof thickness and material?

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Howdy...
I have acquired a very nice original Westfalia pop-up roof internal insulation set (as seen here, although I found mine second hand for much less!): https://www.serial-kombi.com/en-GB/transporter-t4-california-/-elevating-roof-skylight-n311590
Now, mine arrived without installation instructions, so just a catch up before i start drilling and screwing into the roof for the 'tenax' fasteners (that have a 12mm screw length), does anyone have any info on the build of the pop-top roof - I think i read that it has a plywood core?
I'm sure as this is a genuine Westfalia product, that its completely safe to go ahead and place these screws, but being safe than sorry just looking for some info on the roof.

Cheers

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.jpg

I believe that the roof has foam in the middle, saw a few forum posts about fitting roofbars, and saw a green foam from the drilling.
Can it be fitted by using the screws that hold the canvas on?
I went for a Brandrup internal insulation, it is just held on with Velcro and a few pop fasteners screwed in to the rails that hold the canvas in place.95704039-7CB7-4B3B-A0FC-2703FFB4EE2C.jpeg5213734E-59B2-4C8B-94BC-7B1D5AB6494E.jpeg

Last edited:
I took the plunge and cautiously drilled the first hole...
Had a shock when after only a few millimetres the drilled plunged through!
Quickly ran out to check... but yes seems there is a foam core, so no holes through to the outside ;-)
So it's up and very happy with it. We're giving it's first trail tonight and the difference is very noticeable, warmer and indeed quieter...
Very happy with my find!

20190419_205347.jpg

It looks good, they do make a big difference. Much less breeze, noise and light.

Back