Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Post Brexit Importing - process and costs.

A

AlPalUK

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi,

New to the forum as I am currently looking to buy a used Grand California from Germany.
I imported our car 2 years ago and it was very simple but has anyone done this on a used vehicle this year?
The vehicle I am looking at is a private sale so there is no option to defer the VAT. If we ned to pay vat the savings are not worth while.
Any advice to get me a step closer to California ownership would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Al

Sent from my RMX2144 using Tapatalk

You effectively have to pay 20% VAT on importing now unfortunately. As you say prior to January it was a lot easier but now post brexit it is more expensive which is another reason why van prices are rising.

You effectively have to pay 20% VAT on importing now unfortunately. As you say prior to January it was a lot easier but now post brexit it is more expensive which is another reason why van prices are rising.
Incorrect I’m afraid, if the vehicle is older than 6months old and covered more than 6000 miles then VAT is not payable although other charges are payable.
See here. Section 4.

I'm interesting in this too.

Is it clear on VAT? I remember the 6 months rule before - but there have been stories about VAT now being applied - notably for NI motor traders - since 2021

That DVLA guide looks like it is dated 2020?

I would suggest contacting DVLA or HMRC for a definitive answer.

Hi alli am thinking of same. Importing a replacement for my exclusive.
I approached an import agency they said vat is due on older second hand vehicles.
Let me know if you find out otherwise.

Back