Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying New from Ireland and Importing to UK

DUB10

DUB10

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi All.
Has anyone attempted to/ or successfully ordered a new Cali from an Ireland based VW dealer and imported it to the UK since we moved out of the EU?
There is a greater choice of options for the Beach on the Ireland configurator compared with the UK site.
This includes the digital dash option, which I'm thinking might be a simple option to switch from km to miles.
I've spoken to one dealer so far who said they can order and sell me a new Cali but it needs Ireland VAT (23%) and VRT paid and must be registered to an Ireland address before I can export it to the UK.
I would have thought it would be easier for them to sell it as an export with no tax and then I pay the UK VAT upon importing it.
Any thoughts or experience welcome.

Thank you.

I’m not an expert but buying vehicles in Eire is not cheap at the best of times and most people will try and import the other way around. VRT is a killer as it is a mixture of emissions and value based. Effectively a luxury tax as much as an environmental one.

Good luck. I’m heading back to the (wife’s) family this week for Christmas. I’ll see if my brother in law (who works for Audi) can offer any insight.

Hi All.
Has anyone attempted to/ or successfully ordered a new Cali from an Ireland based VW dealer and imported it to the UK since we moved out of the EU?
There is a greater choice of options for the Beach on the Ireland configurator compared with the UK site.
This includes the digital dash option, which I'm thinking might be a simple option to switch from km to miles.
I've spoken to one dealer so far who said they can order and sell me a new Cali but it needs Ireland VAT (23%) and VRT paid and must be registered to an Ireland address before I can export it to the UK.
I would have thought it would be easier for them to sell it as an export with no tax and then I pay the UK VAT upon importing it.
Any thoughts or experience welcome.

Thank you.
Importing non UK spec vehicles is a lot more of a PITA than most people realise. Not impossible but may negate any benefits. A few people discussing on the matched similar threads below.

That is correct you can change the whole digital display to KMH.

There are a couple of GC owners with Irish vans that may be able to help.
You have to be very careful as there may be spec differences. On the GC as an example there is no alarm fitted as standard which I seem to remember was a problem years ago when people were importing.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
All very helpful.
Good point about the alarm, I had to tick it as an option.

Back