Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problems with Control Panel

Lizzie

Lizzie

Vehicle
Grand California 600
My GC 600 has not been used for almost a year as I have imported it from New Zealand. When I started her up I found that the Central Control Panel (the screen next to the toilet door) is malfunctioning. It comes on ok, ie all buttons are visible and can switch between them, but it will not allow me to turn on lights, adjust heating, and says the battery is flat, when it is fully charged (tested voltage and it is 16v). Tap works ok as does fridge, so I do not think there is a power problem. Have tried turning off the main battery isolator switch (in cupboard with fuses) to reset, but no improvement. Could it be the way it get the information needed to display?

Has anyone else had this issue?

My GC 600 has not been used for almost a year as I have imported it from New Zealand. When I started her up I found that the Central Control Panel (the screen next to the toilet door) is malfunctioning. It comes on ok, ie all buttons are visible and can switch between them, but it will not allow me to turn on lights, adjust heating, and says the battery is flat, when it is fully charged (tested voltage and it is 16v). Tap works ok as does fridge, so I do not think there is a power problem. Have tried turning off the main battery isolator switch (in cupboard with fuses) to reset, but no improvement. Could it be the way it get the information needed to display?

Has anyone else had this issue?
If your Leisure Battery is measuring 16v thirty minutes after unplugging EHU or stopping engine then you have a problem.
Maximum voltage of your leisure battery should be 12.7 / 12.9v when fully charged and at rest or 13.4 to 14.4v on EHU or with engine running.

Try a reset via th blue plug - turn off the isolator in the utility cupboard, look under the dash on the passenger side you will see a row of connectors, one is blue, unplug that blue plug for 1 min then plug back in and turn on the utility cupboard isolator - hopefully that resets things.

Try a reset via th blue plug - turn off the isolator in the utility cupboard, look under the dash on the passenger side you will see a row of connectors, one is blue, unplug that blue plug for 1 min then plug back in and turn on the utility cupboard isolator - hopefully that resets things.
Thank you Gordon. I’ve tried that but alas, the control panel is still not working.

Do you have a solar panel?
Yes
If your Leisure Battery is measuring 16v thirty minutes after unplugging EHU or stopping engine then you have a problem.
Maximum voltage of your leisure battery should be 12.7 / 12.9v when fully charged and at rest or 13.4 to 14.4v on EHU or with engine running.
interesting, I did think 16v was a bit high. Perhaps that’s the problem. The battery is being charged to a higher voltage and the control panel doesn’t like it. But the control panel comes on it’s just there is no data getting to it. It reports the actual battery voltage as 5v!

image.jpg

image.jpg

And the fridge and water pump work just fine.

Your solar controller has gone faulty. Look at the flashing green lights. These Voltronic ones are known for this.16v is about as high as an agm can go. It's probably damaged your battery. Just swap it out for a Victron unit. All this happened to me after the dealer fitted two new batteries. I didn't bother going back, just did it myself.

Your solar controller has gone faulty. Look at the flashing green lights. These Voltronic ones are known for this.16v is about as high as an agm can go. It's probably damaged your battery. Just swap it out for a Victron unit. All this happened to me after the dealer fitted two new batteries. I didn't bother going back, just did it myself.
Thanks for that suggestion. I'm not with the vehicle right now, but I'll take a look at the solar controller. It's still on warranty so I will be taking it to a VW garage next week and if the controller is faulty I would hope they can replace it. I'll report back.

Back